Classical piano pieces for a high school graduation ceremony?

alola9

Hey everyone! This year is marking my last year in high school! The graduation is in May 2015, and I'm so excited :D

Every year, there's always an audtition to do something for that ceremony- some people sing (most of them do), some play instruments (so far, I've seen a guitar and piano being played), and I guess other things (not many people audition I guess? I haven't seen any other things being done). I'm deciding on whether or not I should play a piano piece... I've never preformed anything for public before, and I'm just what you can call an intermediate skilled player. But I'm determined! I've decided to play a classical piece.

I was wondering if you guys would have suggestions for any classical piano piece that might "fit" the graduation mood? A slow/happy/with a bit of sad piece would be my ideal. Somone suggested Muzio Clementi's Sonatina in C major, Op. 36 No. 1, and that's a nice one to play, but it doesn't seem to fit what I'm looking for. I love Chopin pieces, but they're still too advanced for me. I don't have a preference for any other composer, as long as I see the piece playable for my skill and it fits the atmosphere. I'm not too experienced with classical music (working towards that!), so I'd be happy if anyone can suggest some pieces and discuss this with me :)

Thanks!

What a nice idea!!! Well, since it's a high school graduation, something heart-warming, but uplifting too, might be fitting!
May I suggest Clementi's Sonatina Op. 36 No.5 - 3. Rondo, which is one I always loved, a catchy and sweet tune!
Also Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca Allegretto
Or even the very popular Fur Elise

There is one more, which I'm unable to recall right now owing to the fact that it's been years since I've actually played those pieces and I also can't find my Sonatinas Album 2 book (in which this piece is) :grrr: I have fond memories of this sonatina! If I manage to find it I'll be sure to post!

Now, if you decide not to go the classical route, you can always play a wonderful piece like Yann Tiersen's Comptine d`un autre ete (you just need patience with this one, it's not too difficult, just begin studying it at a slower tempo and then increase the speed after you've mastered all the notes) or even Carly Comando - Everyday would be absolutely beautiful for a graduation, it would really make everyone very emotional about their high school years!!!! Lastly, the most emotionally moving piece of all must be Clint Mansell's Together We Will Live Forever, it's melancholic but magical! Or you could try something more....inspirational like Ludovico Einaudi's Divenire!

Have fun searching for your ideal piece! :)

EDIT: Another possible good candidate, Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Var.XVIII. Isn't it the sweetest and most heart-warming, nostalgic sound ever?! :D
EDIT: Schubert's Piano Sonata No.16 is veeery nice, at least the first and last part, might be too hard though, hmmmm....
EDIT: Since you said you like Chopin, Mazurka is apparently not too difficult. Please check this guy's channel (BachScholar) as it has a great amount of good content that might provide ideas for your performance!

Dang it, I wish I was at home, so I can look at my books.

I competed back in the day, in the mid-late 80's in classical piano. OMG, it was LONG ago!

Do not do 'Fur Elise'...it's overdone. I HATE that piece, it's what everyone requests me to play, LOL.

I do like Rondo Alla Turca though, that is a fun one!!!

I like 'Claie de Lune' by Claude Debussy. It can be done without an orchestra and as a solo piano piece. It's nice, and not too difficult, not like Rachmaninov, lol.

I will have to edit this with more ideas when I get home. Good luck!!!

Stelladeli, you had a great suggestion with Rondo Alla Turca, that was brilliant!

EDIT: Another possible good candidate, Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Var.XVIII. Isn't it the sweetest and most heart-warming, nostalgic sound ever?! :D
EDIT: Schubert's Piano Sonata No.16 is veeery nice, at least the first and last part, might be too hard though, hmmmm....

WOW! How could I forget about Schubert? *smacks forehead* You are correct, VERY NICE!!!

All of the above suggestions are great, I can also add Schumann's "Träumerei", if you want something calmer; or Strauss's "Radetsky March" for piano (although it's better on four hands) - not hard at all, still very uplifting and, of course, popular :)

An all time favourite - Schubert's "Moment musical N.3".

I've played all three and I'm not a brilliant pianist :)

There also are some Tchaikovsky's pieces, that may be suitable - especially his pieces from the "Swan Lake" and "Nutcracker" ballet - everything from his "Children's Album" - you can hear it, if you don't know it, it's marvellous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S094b_juB0U

Otherwise, you can try "Moonlight Sonata"'s first part, but I find it difficult.

If you choose non classical pieces, maybe "Ballade pour Adeline" and "A comme Amour" - classic! :)

Wow! Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will listen to them and tell you what I think :)

So I listened to everyone's suggestions (thanks so much!!) and here's what I saw that might fit what I'm looking for:

• Clementi's Sonatina Op 36 No. 5
  • Schubert's Piano Sonata No.16 (I really liked it!!) and Moment musical N.3
  • Chopin's Mazurka (and I visited the youtube channel, very great! And still searching...)
  • Debussy's Clair de Lune (pretty!!)
  • Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Var.XVIII
  • Strauss's Radetsky March
  • Most of Tchaikovsky's "Children's Album" pieces

By the looks of this list, I'm leaning more towards classical than non-classical (although the ones suggested I really liked). These seem to be playable (just give me less than three months for each piece if I decide on it, then try to perfect it until May). I'm glad I've expaned my choices in this, and thank you so much for suggesting pieces, Stella, Beth, and Nousha!!! I really appreciate it :)

I'll be having fun searching, and will update here when I finally find the piece or even to cross ones off my list. :D

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button if you have something to add.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 4 weeks later...

Chopin's 13th Mazurka definitely is a great choice, his nocturnes are lovely too and are played at a slowish pace so are great for learning how to play his style. Mozart's 16th Sonata in C Major is always a crowdpleaser and sounds harder to play than it is :)

I totally forgot about Mozart's 16th Sonata, as you mentioned!! I'll definitely look at that one also :D

For updates, I'm still searching for that perfect piece...Hopefully I'll find it soon...

EDIT: So I changed my mind about doing a piano piece.... I'm going to try to audition for a graduation speech!!!!!! Wish me luck!

Edited by alola9

• 10 months later...
Guest misarella

curious about how the graduation went. did you get the speech?

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics that are no longer relevant.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Rune Valentine if you have any questions regarding this action.