I Challenge You This Holiday Season...

nightfall8705

Every year around the holiday season, I pull out my Christmas list, and dive into what the holidays are all about... giving. This time of year can be a somewhat depressing occasion for some people, especially in my community.

More and more people seem to care about Black Friday sales and maxing out their bank account on the hottest toys, gadgets, and gifts, usually trying to one-up another. Some people go all out in extremes in flaunting themselves, but a lot of people seem to forget the most magical part of Christmas, giving to others and helping those who are less fortunate, and because of that, my policy** on Christmas gifts, as well as my Christmas list was born.

** (My policy on Christmas gifts for kids/adults is 1 need, 1 want, and something to read. Plus maybe a tin of Christmas cookies, or a piece of Christmas candy, and maybe a treat for the pets.) My brother always gets 1 extra want for Christmas because his birthday is on the 28 of December.

Anyway, here is my Christmas list... the list I have done for 5 years now. Sure, I do this stuff year round, but especially so at the holiday times...

And so now, I give you this list and challenge you all here on TDN and Neopets to spread some cheer by completing the 10 steps I'm going to list here IN REAL LIFE (though feel free to do your own Christmassy things on Neo if you're feeling generous too!) by Christmas Eve (Dec 24th.):

CHRISTMAS 2014

* 1. Do something nice for at least one person out of the kindness of your heart, and encourage them in a positive way.

* 2. Do something to help an elderly. Something to make them smile is good enough, as long as it is genuine.

* 3. Donate at least one article of clothing to give to someone in need.

* 4. Donate at least one book to a child in need. Reading and education is important!

* 5. Donate at least one new toy to a child in need, or a child of a person or persons in the military.

* 6. Donate at least three tins of food or three non-perishable food items to someone less fortunate, so that they could have help with making their family's Christmas dinner. Nobody should go hungry, especially at Christmas!

* 7. Donate at least one tin or bag of pet food to a shelter or to someone who has pets in need. Pets shouldn't be without food at Christmas either, if it can be helped!

* 8. Do something nice to help the planet. It doesn't have to be something major, it could be as small as picking up litter at your local park. Nature gives us so much, why not give back?

* 9. Count your blessings and pay them forward. Be part of the gift that keeps on giving.

* 10. Comment here telling us all about your actions to fulfill the list. (If you want to!)

I have already completed my list this year. I compiled my items into a box and donated to local churches and thrift stores that help the girls and boys camps of our community. I hope you all will take the time to make Christmas a little more special for someone less fortunate.

Thanks for reading and participating!

*** Also, I am thinking of doing one of my shopping sprees again on Neopets, and doing another event like the one I did for the Annual Chocolate Ball, in which I posted something here and gave gifts for everyone who Neomailed me a certain message, for a short amount of time. I've got a lot of stuff going on in real life at the moment, but I hope to try to do that for Christmas on Neo, so if I get some downtime to do that, I'll let you all know. <3

What a beautiful idea! I don't celebrate the holidays, but I can't deny this time of the year brings great opportunities to perform acts of kindness. This year I went to the post office and picked up letters that a couple of kids wrote to Santa. I sent them new shoes and clothes (which is what they asked for) plus a book for them to read. So I've pretty much done #3 and #4 already, hehe. I'll try and complete the other items of the list!

I love love love this list. I try to do these sorts of things regularly throughout the year, not just around Christmas, but I know the Holidays usually get people in a giving mood.

In America there are tons of opportunities to give this time of year. Salvation Army always needs people to help gather and distribute donations. A lot of communities do Angel Tree Kids which is where you get a card with a child's needs and wants and you anonymous buy them a gift (or usually in my case several gifts. Usually one or two toys, a full set of clothes,socks and undies included, and either a book or coloring book with crayons) Lots of pet shelters do food or straw drives for pets in need, and of course almost all food pantries try to arrange for every family to have some sort of special meal during the Holidays. Nursing homes will usually accept any kinds of gifts, if it isn't something someone needs they will be glad to use it some other way. (Bingo prizes are a huge way to use up weird little knick knacks that you've had sitting in a box for a while.) If you are any good at painting nails see if your local nursing home will let you paint one of their resident's nails, or do their makeup. These older women still want to be made up and pretty and it will brighten their day and yours so much.

Check your local paper, or contact your church if you're a church goer, to see what charities and organizations are doing special events for the holidays then jump in to volunteer. For some people they need your time, and your care, much more than the physical item or money.

Remember to be generous and giving throughout the whole year. Those in need don't just disappear after everyone else has given up feeling charitable after Christmas.

This is so lovely, Angel. :D While I don't really have a list, I try to keep the spirit of giving alive, especially during Christmas. I've heard of and done Angel Tree, and it's always lovely to buy something nice for the kids. I'll ask my local shelter to see what they need, because they sometimes need linens and blankets as bedding because they're rather good on food.

Thank you everyone for your replies and for your contributions to the list!

Over the years, I've learned to want less and give more. Growing up, Christmas was extremely stressful in my house because we were such in a very low poverty household. My mom did everything she possibly could to make sure we had a good dinner on Christmas and have something under the tree, and as I've grown up (and subsequently raised my little brother, who turns 18 this year), I've been in those very shoes, and while I still struggle at times (especially at Christmas) I know that others around me struggle much worse, and so whatever I have, I tend to share with others to help ease the burden.

Sometimes the littlest things make all the difference! Keep going in fulfilling your list, everyone, and pay it forward! You could be somebody's unexpected blessing this Christmas! <3