Re-submitting to Neopian Times

the_lady_j

I recently submitted a story to the Neopian Times. This is what the rejection neomail stated:

Your Neopian Times submission (The Frog Prince) was rejected because it contains real-world references such as references to famous people, geography, other websites, etc. that are not permitted.

Yours Sincerely,
The Neopets Team

Maybe you can tell by the message that my story is a retelling of the fairy tale 'The Frog Prince'. I've gone through the story with a fine tooth comb and cannot find any real world references. So my question is this -- could it just be the title? And if so, can I just change the title and then re-submit it?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

my best guess would be the title.

I mean there aren't any "frogs" in neopia, right? Maybe change the title to "the quiggle prince"? If you used the word "frog" anywhere else I would suggest changing it and see what happens

or you could try "frogler" or "frogarott" ...although I do see there is a "stuffed frog" gross food. I don't know, that's the best I got :p

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't even thinking about the word 'frog' in the title as being the problem. I was thinking because 'The Frog Prince' is the title of the original fairy tale that somehow that might be the offense. But no, I didn't use frog anywhere in the story itself because mortogs are the Neopian counterpart. I just didn't title it as such because it was a 're-telling' of the fairy tale. Hmm. So if I rename it "The Mortog Prince" or some such, there's no problem in re-submitting the same story that was already rejected? I don't have to wait to re-submit or anything?

There's a possibility they could have a problem with the title being the same as the classic fairy tale. But either way I think changing it to "The Mortog Prince" would solve the problem. I mean their "kiss the mortog" game is basically a game revolving around the frog prince.

You can submit it again any time you want. I usually resubmit as soon as possible so it has another chance at getting in the next week :)

I really hope it is just a matter of that simple title change....but if it gets rejected again for the same reason at least you would know there's some bigger issue at hand :/

1. it's the title.

2. it's the content .. we're not allowed to re-tell fairy tales or real tales

While I can't say it with as much certainty as Angelo, he's probably right that that's why your story was rejected. For reference, see Editorial #288. Real life stories and parodies/re-tellings of them are not likely to be selected.

It has to be a really good one to be selected. Like the Slender-Draik. It was a good one yet, referencing myths of the real world and such.

Maybe edit the story a bit. Not make it by kissing a frog. Make the storyline different. That might work.

Wow... thanks guys. You've been really helpful.

I changed the title and am going to re-submit and see what happens. While I'm calling it a re-telling because it's inspiration comes from the classic fairy tale, it's not actually that story. This would be more akin to why or how the prince got turned into the frog in the first place. I know -- close, but questionable.

Best I can do is try again and keep my fingers crossed. But thanks so much for all the advice! The people in this forum are always so great. I really appreciate being able to come in here and get help.