Food Club Spreadsheet

Greyshe_wolf

I am just getting into Food Club and as I have a talent for coding spreadsheets, I am creating one that will automatically calculate the food adjustment when you enter in the pirates and courses using a dropdown menu.

It will not tell you how to bet but it's just for information purposes. My question is when I am done, do you think TDN would be interested in A) Finding someone to make it pretty and user friendly and B) Hosting it for other Food Quest people.

The coding of the functions is gonna take me a while, but I thought I would post up my question now so I know if I am making this for myself or everyone.

Many thanks,

Heidi

If you wanted to, you could pop it up in the form of a Google Doc so you can share it with everyone :)

Although if you didn't know this existed: http://foodclub.daqtools.info/

It pretty much does what you want to do on Excel - but you could always just do it for fun!

That does do what my Excel doc aims to do, but I think I will still code it... the food adjustment function is gonna be complex and I'm interested to see if I can do it.

But thanks for pointing that one out to me, might help me pretty mine up.

I need a brain break... Got it to do nearly everything I want it to do but I need it look for partial matches instead of exact matches in the category column to calculate the Food Adjustment needed (if any) and coz I am entirely self taught, I am trying to find out via the wonderful internet but my head hurts too much for now, will come back to it later.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Once wrote a little Java program which presented statistics for each round such as food adjustments. But I find daq tools to be superior because it also saves a long streaks history.

*grabs a piece of thick rope and ties Greyche_wolf's hands together in a strong knot*

Ok doke I think I am done for the night, I cannot figure out how to write a function to calculate the Food Adjustment, however I am pretty pleased with what I do have.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzNrQZ7PTBB6c2JCd3BDVmRwaWc/edit?usp=sharing

You'll have to tell me if the custom functions still work or I have to do something special to share a macro enabled workbook.

But if you select the arena tab, you can put in the pirate via the drop down menu and it will autofill in strength, win percentage, likes and dislikes and if you use the drop down menu in the course column it will automatically fill in the category, theoretically making it easier to then calculate the food adjustment because you will have the course categories and the likes and dislikes right there.

Lastly there is a drop down for selecting the pirates current odds so you can see who is what in a given arena. Repeat for each of the five arenas and you should be able to make an informed choice.

I tried to open it in OpenOffice Calc but it didn't work :( My macro security was too high to use the macros but changing to the lowest level of macro security didn't improve the looks. Gotta add I've never programmed in Excel!

Oh no! That's a real shame, hmm, I may make converting it to Calc tomorrows project.

In one of my last jobs, I was pretty much the entire HR department in a start up company so I created a few spreadsheets and taught myself how to code them to make them more efficient, Let me tell you, coding a function to work out tax with variables such as hourly rate, weekly rate and per annum and pay frequencies such as weekly, fortnightly, four weekly and monthly was a lot of fun. I still remember my Eureka moment when I cracked it. It's Visual Basic that Excel uses, once you pick up one thing and get it, it makes it easier to pick up other stuff.

Now I do it because I enjoy it and have a lot of spare time on my hands because I had to leave work to seek treatment for a progressing disability.

Update: Just used my new spreadsheet and it does make the whole process quicker so I can quickly work out the food adjustment and craft my bets. Good days work, I'm happy.