Yay for Being Flooded with Potential!

Novelista

I've had an exciting past few days. In fact, I hope I remember the past couple of days the next time I think life is boring and nothing ever happens. :>

Yesterday morning, I discovered an email that I've been waiting for for a long time. I've been trying to get into the state of Michigan--for pretty much anything, really--since I was about nineteen or twenty. (And I'm twenty-eight, if you'll remember.) When the state is interested in you, they'll contact you for an exam based on what you applied for. That was my email! The Michigan Department of Corrections wants me to take the secretary test! I go next Tuesday.

So I was bouncing off the walls and starting to post about it on Facebook when the phone rings. It's the company who owns the new theater that's due to have a soft opening at the mall on July 7! I'm booked in for that on Saturday.

Then today, there's a storm and shortly afterward, the power goes out. I happened to be playing Angry Birds and I look up a couple of minutes later and the voicemail light is flashing. It's Meijer*...they're finally calling me back for the second phase of the interview process to become a pharmacy technician! I had trouble getting back with them, but I finally got someone and got setup for Wednesday.

WHEW!

*Meijer is like Walmart, only a different color scheme, unionized, different prices and only located in the midwest. They were also a grocery store first and expanded to general merchandise later; unlike Walmart, which was the other way around.

Thank you, Lia, my love! I've been unemployed for six months, so this is crazy amazing. It's a good thing I have other possibilities, because the state can take from three weeks to three months to hire you. O.o

Ah, the worst that can happen...I seem to have used all ten of my reps today. :D (I used several of them on the puns thread...they were so horrible! xD )

Anywho, if I get offered both, it's a tough decision.

On one hand, I went to school to be a pharmacy technician. I like it, except for the math portions and the fact that I have no hands-on experience in compounding. (And the fact that that involves math.) There's only one technician IV per store (I'm sure that's like the chief tech), but I can still work my way up to level III and be more attractive to hospitals. I can probably pull later shifts (which is good, because I'm a night owl), but I'd probably be stuck working Thanksgiving Day and other holidays, because I'd be the low woman on the totem to start. (At least they, like Walmart, close somewhere between six and eight on Christmas Eve and don't open 'til five or six on the 26th.) I don't know how much I could make if I only got to level III, but as a level I, places have been talking about $9-10/hr to start.

On the other hand, working for the State is a career. I'd start off as full time, I'd make $14.72 an hour* (going up to $15.05 after six months and $15.39 after a year...I've looked at the pay schedule already), get benefits and get all the federal holidays off (including some extras, like Christmas Eve and New Years Eve). Trouble is, being a word processing assistant could be very boring. Or I might not get in at all...I noticed something was said in the job listing about knowing about corrections policies and procedures. (But they must have looked at my resume and know that I've only worked in retail and in a funeral home...right?!)

Oh well. I may not like my mother very much, but she's always been right when she says, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

*Unless they're satisfied that I've worked for at least a year doing that sort of thing at the funeral home, which means I'd start off at G6 instead and move into the scale that starts off at $15.83 and moves to $16.10 after six months. Wouldn't that be crazy?!

Wow, congratulations on all of the job opportunities! :D It's so tough getting a job these days! The pharmacy technician position sounds greats, especially since you went to school for it. I hope it all works out either way!