FIFA World Cup 2014

leverhelven

So, yeah, I'm from Brazil and we're hosting the World Cup this year (insert lots of polemics, mess, money laundering, protests etc etc here). I honestly hope we lose this year, because if we win people here will all be like "hey, at least all those polemics, mess, money laundering, protests etc etc endep up being worth it!" (yeah, some people think like that. That's the old panem et circenses for you).

Aaaaanyways, how do you guys feel about the World Cup? Are you guys gonna watch the matches? Are you rooting for your country (or some other country)? Is anyone coming to Brazil? (if so, call me! :D ) How do you feel about soccer?

:)

I haven't watched any world cups but if it ends up on TV I'll watch it. I'm going to most likely cheering for the US and Japan. Although I don't have any heritage in Japan I ended up also cheering them on as well in the Winter Olympics.

Hmm, I'm not into soccer (or any other sport for that matter). I don't even play sports games if I can avoid them. Altador Cup is a semi-acception, if I can remember (Speaking of >.>)

If I were to visit Brazil on different circumstances, would I still be allowed to call you? xP You could be my tour guide ^__^ (IF I go xD)

I haven't watched any world cups but if it ends up on TV I'll watch it. I'm going to most likely cheering for the US and Japan. Although I don't have any heritage in Japan I ended up also cheering them on as well in the Winter Olympics.

Actually I'm not even sure Japan is playing this year! :P

If I were to visit Brazil on different circumstances, would I still be allowed to call you? xP You could be my tour guide ^__^ (IF I go xD)

You're all very welcome to contact me if you end up in Rio someday!! :D

I usually like to cheer for the underdogs. I think Ghana is playing this year, it'd be nice if they had a good show! I also love Nordic countries, so whenever they're on I cheer for them. But I'm pretty sure NONE is playing this year :(

Actually I'm not even sure Japan is playing this year! :P

I looked at the matches, and it looks like Japan is playing!

Anyway, the World Cup (and soccer in general) is kind of a huge deal in Mexico. My family always cheers for Mexico and Japan (it's cute, my mom's side of the family cheers to support my dad's side of the family, and vice versa :P).

And now, all the more, I wish I was going to Brazil, because I would absolutely give you a call!! <3 <3

I looked at the matches, and it looks like Japan is playing!

Anyway, the World Cup (and soccer in general) is kind of a huge deal in Mexico. My family always cheers for Mexico and Japan (it's cute, my mom's side of the family cheers to support my dad's side of the family, and vice versa :P).

And now, all the more, I wish I was going to Brazil, because I would absolutely give you a call!! <3 <3

Jenny, are you from Mexico? :o Or is it family heritage?

I think soccer is a pretty big deal in most Latin countries, so yeah :D Much like Europe, we have our own "cup" - Libertadores da/de América, depending on whether you say it in Portuguese or Spanish. The name means "Freeders of America". Everybody says that, if you've never played at the Liberdadores, you've never played real soccer. It's really very... competitive... and... intense. (meaning: agressive). :P

I'm from Mexico, and honestly, quite a few people are really upset. We barely qualified - we only did because the US scored two goals out of nowhere in the last minute of one of their qualifying games, eliminating who they were playing and sending us into a match with New Zealand for the last spot. So basically, we were out but the US kept us in. This has mostly been due to poor team management so a LOT of people are pretty upset with how things are going down in Mexican soccer.

Oh also one of our best players just BROKE HIS LEG in a friendly game against Ecuador like two days ago -__- and the guy from Ecuador who he crashed with bust his knee.

I always root for Germany because ?? I just like the thought of Germans being good at soccer. So I'll be cheering for Mexico and Germany I guess...although I'll have a few reserves about Mexico.

I'll be cheering for merry olde England, and also the Ivory Coast - had a lot of fun watching them last World Cup, they're a very passionate team. I got so emotionally involved when they played Uraguay I was shouting and crying it was crazy xD

Oh also one of our best players just BROKE HIS LEG in a friendly game against Ecuador like two days ago -__- and the guy from Ecuador who he crashed with bust his knee.

AW MAN! I didn't know that, just looked it up and dang! It looked horrible!!! :o :o And talk about bad luck... Not only won't he be able to play the Cup, but... when soccer players break their leg it's pretty much like when a horse does. I wonder if he'll EVER be able to play the same way :(

I was watching that game when it happened, it was scary as heck! You could see his leg completely broken in the replay DX

And leverhelven, Ghana is playing this year! They're in the same group as the US, Germany, and Portugal. In fact, their first game is with the US! It's going to be a great game. The official website has some great info about all of the matches. Spain and the Netherlands are going to play each other first, and they were the ones that played each other in the finals during the last cup! (Spain won, of course :P) I'm excited.

AW MAN! I didn't know that, just looked it up and dang! It looked horrible!!! :O :O And talk about bad luck... Not only won't he be able to play the Cup, but... when soccer players break their leg it's pretty much like when a horse does. I wonder if he'll EVER be able to play the same way :(

I was watching that game when it happened, it was scary as heck! You could see his leg completely broken in the replay DX

I was eating and watching the game when it happened. ARGHH! They kept replaying and replaying his leg going all floppy and everyone in the restaurant (it's a casual outdoor/sports bar kinda place) kinda looked like this :O

I'll be cheering for merry olde England, and also the Ivory Coast - had a lot of fun watching them last World Cup, they're a very passionate team. I got so emotionally involved when they played Uraguay I was shouting and crying it was crazy xD

Saxen .. the team that played Uruguay and the famous wasted penalty in the last second of extra time was GHANA :) they're in this year as well :)

Personally . . I can't wait . . only 8 days to go !!!!! even though lots of games will be 1 AM my time BUT I DONT CARE I WONT SLEEP THIS MONTH ANYWAY !! I went mad and applied to three news stations to go to Brazil as a reporter but of course I have no experience in journalism ... and politics (because yes even in sports there are politics) . . . . so Im not going . . . but maybe we can meet up some other time :D :D

I'm with Argentina (because of Messi) and Spain (because of FC Barcelona) but if Neymar wins it for Brazil I won't be complaining . Brazil are always the most entertaining team to watch :)

Watch out for Belgium this year though .. they have an enormously powerful team !!!

346900_heroa_zps1b74be49.jpgArgentina_zps47ac015c.jpg

And leverhelven, Ghana is playing this year! They're in the same group as the US, Germany, and Portugal. In fact, their first game is with the US! It's going to be a great game. The official website has some great info about all of the matches. Spain and the Netherlands are going to play each other first, and they were the ones that played each other in the finals during the last cup! (Spain won, of course :P) I'm excited.

Ooooh, I knew about Spain and Holland's match, I'm SO excited for it!!! :D Will Holland avenge themselves?

And Angelo... I sorta kinda resent you cheering for Argentina :P Argentina and Brazil are pretty much rivals, not only in soccer but in, like, everything :D And in soccer it's even worse, it's the old Pelé vs Maradona debate... Anyways! I have an Argentinian friend who says his country is pretty in disbelief with the team, and that they don't really expect good results. We'll see...

Ooooh, I knew about Spain and Holland's match, I'm SO excited for it!!! :D Will Holland avenge themselves?

And Angelo... I sorta kinda resent you cheering for Argentina :P Argentina and Brazil are pretty much rivals, not only in soccer but in, like, everything :D And in soccer it's even worse, it's the old Pelé vs Maradona debate... Anyways! I have an Argentinian friend who says his country is pretty in disbelief with the team, and that they don't really expect good results. We'll see...

Include Mexico in there! I get the feeling most of the Americas resents Argentina for one reason or the other. I don't really but it's fun to make jokes about Argentina.

I'm team Pelé but I will still dance like crazy when I hear that one song about Maradona's "mano de dios" LOL

i remembered when you thought i was from Argentina lol . . .

as a spectator from far away i respect both pele and maradona as the two greatest footballers in history . . . it's hard to say who's best because they lived in different times . . . just like now you can't compare maradona and messi or pele and ronaldo nazario . . . but u can for example compare messi and c.ronaldo (messi wins every time) . . . i personally don't like radicalism in anything but of course it's your right to be patriotic and support your country . . . :) i don't expect Argentina to win (their keeper and defence are really bad) . . . but it's just for fun :) of course , Brazil winning would be phenomenal :)

Include Mexico in there! I get the feeling most of the Americas resents Argentina for one reason or the other. I don't really but it's fun to make jokes about Argentina.

I'm team Pelé but I will still dance like crazy when I hear that one song about Maradona's "mano de dios" LOL

THEY HAVE A SONG ABOUT THAT?! Please, please, share it with us!!! :D

i remembered when you thought i was from Argentina lol . . .

as a spectator from far away i respect both pele and maradona as the two greatest footballers in history . . . it's hard to say who's best because they lived in different times . . . just like now you can't compare maradona and messi or pele and ronaldo nazario . . . but u can for example compare messi and c.ronaldo (messi wins every time) . . . i personally don't like radicalism in anything but of course it's your right to be patriotic and support your country . . . :) i don't expect Argentina to win (their keeper and defence are really bad) . . . but it's just for fun :) of course , Brazil winning would be phenomenal :)

Well, I'll just have to kick Argentina in the patootie right now and say that Pelé has never played while on drugs... Maradona, on the other hand... :sick02:

Of course I can share!

It's in Spanish but if you can find the lyrics online, they are HILARIOUS. It's actually fairly popular in clubs here, particularly when any of the local soccer players are in. They get reaaally excited haha

Of course I can share!

It's in Spanish but if you can find the lyrics online, they are HILARIOUS. It's actually fairly popular in clubs here, particularly when any of the local soccer players are in. They get reaaally excited haha

Hahahaha, I loved it when it got faster and more tango-like! :D Oh, Maradona, you'll never be Pelé... :P :P

Gee, seems like the witches are on the loose this season. Just heard of a German player getting hurt and now out of the Cup. And Neymar is having pains on his knee! :o

Yesterday we had a friendly match against Serbia. You know, Serbia, who's not great at soccer. Not at all. And we managed to get a pathetic 1 x 0. Seriously, the whole stadium was booing. Such a poor performance. If we win this Cup, it'll be totally fixed. It has happened before (Argentina winning the Cup at home in 78), it will happen again. We're not prepared, but the people have to be convinced that all the corruption was "worth it".

Well beh. Too grumpy today, maybe. :P

Oh noo, so many people are getting injured that I'm wondering if all our predictions will be totally off. Even just changing one player changes the entire team dynamics, so who knows :/ As long as it's not Spain (because my ex is Spanish ahhahaha) I'll be happy to see an honest team win.

As a Brazilian, I hate that we're hosting the World Cup, but I've come to accept it. To be clear, I'm not against protesting, I just think it's kinda late now. If the World Cup were to be cancelled (yeah right!) or go wrong in any way that would only make all the money go to even more waste. I think it would be better if people just didn't watch the games instead of trying to sabotage them or whatever the plan is. I admit I will watch the opening ceremony because I'm always curious about those, but I won't watch the games (I don't like soccer anyway). I will be rooting against Brazil as well, but I have a feeling this World Cup will be rigged (for the very reason you mentioned - to make everyone happy and make them forget about all the problems).

GUYS. Remember those Chilean miners who got stuck underground for weeks and weeks but managed to be rescued miraculously?

Just found out that Chile made a video supporting their Soccer Team for the Cup... with those same miners.

Now excuse me for a minute while I go to bed and cry myself to sleep.

This is the most beautiful Cup-related thing I've ever seen so far.

(subtitles in English are available on the video).

update: Aw Gawd, and we manage to start the Cup with a goal against our own team. How pathetic (and symbolic).

AW MAN! Double post! Sorry mods, could you fix it please? :(

Thank you, Angeló!

Croatia is a very skilled team, but often underestimated. We've had problems with them before. In the 2006 World Cup, our very first match was against Croatia too, and we struggled VERY hard to get a measly 1x0. They're good I tell you! (and handsome, but anyways :* )

So tomorrow we have... *checks schedule* Mexico x Cameroon, Chile x Australia, and the high-expectations Spain x Netherlands! It's Friday the 13th though, I wonder if it'll be a bad day? :P

ps: Here's a very interesting chart with 19 countries' opinions on favourite teams, teams they'll root against, and teams who play the most beautiful soccer. I gotta tell you Brazil is shining bright! :D