Nay for losing a great person.

Aquamentis12

Rest in Peace, Dave DeBolt. :(

The local gallery owner, who's been a good acquaintance,, was a definite art enthusiast, and the closest thing I've had to an art mentor, I just learned passed away last week from Liver Cancer. :(

I went to his website, in hopes it was still up, it's is and it's not. The only page now seems to be the one announcing the ...closing of the gallery. :(

http://www.originalsetc.com/

There won't be a funeral, Dave didn't want one. I stopped by the gallery after a chiropractic appointment because the last I'd heard, they were supposed to open in May, and his car was there. Though when I stepped into the doorway, the place was cluttered with stuff and his wife and someone else was working to organize things. She told me about Dave, so I learned about this JUST a few minutes ago. :(

I can't really say Dave was a "friend". Because other than taking a couple of his classes, which were work on what you want, how you want, when you want, and stopping in to see him from time to time, we didn't yano, hang out. But, I suppose friendship IS different with different people. Dave was an amazing artist, with lots of neat stories, and a great sense of humor. He will be missed by many. :( I'm not looking forward to telling Mom about his passing. She took some lessons from him back in the late 90s. So she's known him waaaaaaaaay longer than I have. :(

I remember, before I had my surgery last October, I was talking with Mom, and Dave was apparently walking up behind us. We spoke briefly then, and he mentioned something about a Liver transplant. So we KNEW something could go wrong. Apparently, it just recently, flared up and took him quickly. His wife said it was so quick he didn't have much time to feel pain. Poor woman, I could tell she was working at keeping her composure while she told me about him.

Man I wish there was a funeral, or at least a service to go to. I'm sure he touched MANY lives, for the better, and it'd be nice to see him off with en masse.

This sucks. :(

Oh honey I'm so sorry, losing someone unexpectedly is really awful :( wish I could give you a proper hug x

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know he didn't want a funeral, but maybe you could have an informal art "class" (his style, work on what you want for as long as you want) in his honor with some of your artist friends, so you can share memories. (I'm not sure about the protocol on this -- we had something similar for my dance class when one of my classmates died, but he did have a funeral. And I think we invited his wife, but I don't think she attended.)

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a lovely man :( I think Siniri's idea is beautiful; there are many ways we can honor someone, and creating art in his honor sounds fitting; I'm sure he'd be glad to know that he was such an influential person and that he touched the lives of so many people. My thoughts are with you, your family, and his loved ones <3

Thank you everyone. I'm glad there are so many nice people here. Cheers me up a bit reading the support. :)

The classes I took were years ago, and I don't know if anyone from those classes is still around. (The other "students") were easily old enough to be my grandparents. lol But, talk about TALENT! So, never underestimate the elderly and what they can do. ;) And there were only about 6 of us total in the Tuesday night class. I only took 5 classes, but Dave was really cool about them. Because it was ok to miss them, and he only charged $8 per class. Of course all the materials we had to buy our own. LOL But still, $40 for 5 classes was a steal of a deal! ^_^

I did find a quick-sketch he did of me, way back when I was taking one of his classes. I thought I'd share it here. For someone of his level this must've been a simple doodle for him. But I think it's really cool, and really awesome of him to do! :) Didn't know he had drawn it until he gave it to me. LOL

DSC00492.jpg

Sorry for your loss! He sounds like a great man! I hope you find the closure you need/want.

The memories you have of him sound great and maybe your mom will have some she can share with you.

****I was amazed to see you were from Wisconsin, though!! Me too!! (SE Wisconsin to be exact!)

I have never seen anyone from Wisconsin around the boards till now!!***

Thanks blueberrykiwi141, I remembered that I did get to talk to him just before he shut down the gallery (at this time it was only going to be temporary) for a remodel. Which was set to open again in May. I stopped in to see how he was doing and we spoke for a little bit. So at least the last time I got to see him was while he was, as my late dad used to say "vertical and able to take nourishment". :) He seemed a little off, I mean, not his usual joking self. There was an underlying feeling but anyone facing such a dire thing as Cancer, of any sort, would have such a feeling to them. Worry or concern, was what I figured it was. :(

And it's really cool that you're from Wisconsin too. :) I'm in the Central NE area of the state, kind of near the Chain O' Lakes, perhaps you've heard of them? LOL I think you're the 2nd person I (now) Know of from Wisconsin. Can't remember the name of the other person though, it's been awhile since I've seen them around here. ;)