Nay for a random scammer attempting to clean out my bank account...

chelperk

My real-life bank account, BTW! My husband checks our checking account quite frequently and we discovered some fraudulent purchases, so I called our bank and ask what's up. Apparently someone in Miami, FL [we live in VA] made some purchases at a grocery store using hub's debit card number. I asked how it could have happened [it's the 2nd time this year] and I was told that maybe it was because of a purchase made online. That makes me sad because the only thing that we've bought online lately was him purchasing me $10 in NC as a surprise. Maybe a virus snuck onto our computer...luckily, we're not liable for what happened and all is well. BEWARE, my fellow neofriends!

Ugh! That's the worst - especially if it is a card that you use for a lot of things! I had to get new cards twice last year (once because of that ridiculous Target snafu). We have a debit card through our healthcare that was recently compromised as well. My hubby used it ONCE to pay a doctor's bill. Such a pain...

I'm so sorry that this happened to you!! It seems no amount of caution can prevent things like this from happening sometimes. :( There's only a handful of online retailers I usually trust. Target used to be one of them until that whole scam happened with them! You really can't trust anything anymore

I'm really glad to hear everything has worked out for you. I've never bought NC but if I do, after hearing this, it will definitely be through an NC card.

Wow at least your aren't liable for the charges. Just be careful because the same scammer might try again this may be unrelated but I had a Youtube account that got hacked twice by the same guy 4 months later and I ended up deleting the account. Recently a lot of people I know aren't really big fans of buying anything online unless it comes from Amazon. Also since there's a code you have to enter to access a bank account it might be a good idea to change it every so often since internet scamming has been on the rise.

It seems super shifty because of the way the person went about the transactions...[i'm guessing] you'd have to manually type in the debit card number to use as payment which makes me think that maybe it was a worker? I used to be a cashier at a grocery store and am familiar with cards not being able to swipe although his was never missing. What's even more strange is that I looked up the store and location and couldn't find any results of it even existing! :shiftyeyes_anim:

It seems super shifty because of the way the person went about the transactions...[i'm guessing] you'd have to manually type in the debit card number to use as payment which makes me think that maybe it was a worker? I used to be a cashier at a grocery store and am familiar with cards not being able to swipe although his was never missing. What's even more strange is that I looked up the store and location and couldn't find any results of it even existing! :shiftyeyes_anim:

Perhaps it was a fake location and the money went somewhere else or maybe for some odd reason it just isn't listed anywhere now scamming has gotten more advanced so its hard to tell.

Oh man, I'm sorry Chelsea that sucks!! At least you're not liable for the money though, that's really good. I've had my card cloned before (from using a hole in the wall). Luckily HSBC shut down the card straight away, they're quite good like that - apart from on the couple of occasions where they've done that and it's just been me using it xD

Maybe it was a keylogger virus or something? (If those still exist?)

I'm just glad someone stole our number rather than mugging and robbing us for real. I'd be a target with my baby bump and toddler/stroller combo and we were in Brooklyn, NY over the weekend. I don't even carry cash because I've been stolen from before. Cruel world, indeed!

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed! It seems now that we live in a high tech world, it's so easy for identity theft, credit card fraud, etc to happen and so difficult to get it fixed. I don't understand why in the US (compared to Europe) companies don't have encoding software that creates new codes each time a CC is swiped and make it more difficult for people to steal stuff. Sure, it's expensive, but it's also safer for everyone all around.

Plus with the way how a lot of companies store purchase history linked with your CC, it's scary. I was genuinely freaked out after reading the Target article. I've started to use cash to buy things or prepaid Visa cards now compared to last year. :hmmph:

Guest Sabs

I'm so sorry this happened to you! :( I'm glad that you weren't liable for anything either. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a guaranteed safe place to use your CC at. Everything has been known to get hacked one way or another. :/ I used to work for some stores, and a credit processing company as a software tech. It's very scary to know how many different eyes within companies, can view your CC when it is swiped in the system.