Education/Careers

Novelista

'scuse me dragging one of my threads over from JellyNeo, but I was really wishing I could discuss this here, where I have more posts and get the actual notifications. (I've never figured out why they never end up in my inbox!)

This was originally posted on December 1, but not much has changed...

After years of "bouncing around", trying to find something that I can not only do, but make a career out of, I've finally found something.

But I also find myself thinking, "I can't imagine doing this for the rest of my life."

So last night, I asked myself, "If money and abilities weren't an issue, what would you like to study? What would you like to do in life?" And I didn't have an answer.

I mean, I have ideas for careers (if I had the money and/or I thought they'd take off), and there's always a couple of majors tucked into my heart ("if abilities weren't an issue"), but nothing I can work with.

Has anyone else had one of those "if I could only do..." moments?

Yes, for the very same thing, actually!

I changed my major no less than four times in my undergrad. But I really wanted to study biology because I found it so interesting, except that I really struggled with the chemistry requirement. I think that I was really ill-prepared and I just couldn't handle it. Also, quite frankly, I just don't think my brain works that way. If only I wasn't terrible at chemistry :)

In the end, I'm glad for how it worked out, though; my degree is in rhetoric and composition, and I'm currently doing my master's in sociology and education. None of those pay very much, to be sure, but I guess I'm glad it worked out in the end for me.

Sorry to hear that things haven't changed much for you. I know how frustrating it can be, and it's not a fun place to be :( *hugs*

*hugs back*

Oh, good...another chem hater/unable-to-do-er! xD

After a few years, I'm starting to think it's okay, because I was getting paranoid about the fact that to be a Naturopathic physician, you had to take 27 credits a semester and so on and so forth. :sick02: (Meanwhile, I was going to do a second bachelors {in bio}, because between what I'd taken as an undergrad and what I had to take to get into Naturopathic medical school--and the length of time I had to spend at that school to get the various chem classes--but oh well.)

I couldn't see being a pharmacy tech for the rest of my life; but considering I had no externship and the only non-chain pharmacy that was remotely interested in me turned me down for a job just this afternoon, I'm not sure I'd have to worry about that.

In the realistic sense of things, I'm going to try to get into a diagnostic medical sonography program...but I missed the entry deadline for this year's class, so even if I'm accepted, I won't start until May 2015. :P

===

When I was younger, I was interested in being a science teacher, a freshwater biologist, a choreographer, a funeral director, a waitress (tried that once...horrid experience)...but I really wanted to be a Naturopathic physician.

Actually, if we're going to dream, I wish I was a master herbalist, so I could make medicines and run my own apothecary shop!

You don't have to settle on one career for the rest of your life. As long as you keep pursuing what is currently interesting you, acquiring new skills and constantly learning (and that doesn't have to be in school -- experience is an excellent teacher), your career can grow with you. I have a few friends who started out as paralegals. One now co-owns a music shop/school (and uses some of that expertise to navigate contracts; she also had a background in theater -- the backstage stuff, and the skills she developed working with her hands help her do instrument repairs, while music has been a constant in her life), while the other one has a successful sewing company with her sister (making decorative keepsake items, such as quilts). Another worked as a business manager. She loves to cook and got into cake-decorating when she had kids. Her planning skills developed in business management have helped her current catering/party-planning business.

These friends all started their businesses on a part-time basis, just exploring their interests (e.g., the musician took a class to build-your-own instrument), and as they enjoyed it, they gained experience and knowledge, slowly made sales, and eventually made the career transition once their businesses took off.

As another example, I had a friend who was pre-med in college, but her grades weren't that great, and she wasn't sure she wanted to go through that much more schooling (especially considering the attitudes of many of the pre-med students). She tried working in a research lab, but realized she wanted more direct interaction with the people she was helping, and eventually got a job helping run clinical trials (case interviews, etc.). This job enabled her to talk to nurses, physician assistants, etc., and see what the different roles were. She ended up going to P.A. school, and is very happy with the amount of patient interaction she has (vs. physicians, who often spend little time with their patients).

While it might be difficult to start a physical apothecary, you could set up an online store (you can usually set one up so that your orders are actually filled directly by your distributor, so that you don't have to buy the inventory or store it anywhere -- the distributor just uses your labels, and gets a percentage of your sales) for herbs, perhaps with an attached blog. The blog would provide incentive to increase your knowledge, provide info for your customers -- who would hopefully then buy from your store, and attract traffic to your site (and hopefully bring additional customers). Your initial expenses might only be the cost of the domain name and the legal costs to establish the business; the distributor, secure shopping cart service, and payment process would get paid only a percentage of each sale. (If you're interested in how to set up such a business, I recommend the Four-Hour Work Week book or website by Tim Ferriss.) As you worked on becoming a master herbalist and your online business grew, you could transition to a brick-and-mortar store (if that's what you prefer) while keeping the online business, too.

Another book that might help you is "48 Days to the Work You Love," which has activities to help you figure out how you can combine your unique interests, skills, and personality traits to a job that you'll enjoy. One of the exercises included looking at "transferable skills" (like my friend using her technical prowess and creative problem-solving in theater to help demonstrate that she had the skill to repair instruments, helping her land her first job after finishing her coursework).

Good luck figuring out what you want to do next. Very few people today ever figure out "what they want to be when they grow up" and then do that their whole lives. Learning what you don't want to do can be equally useful, if it helps you identify things you want in your next job (e.g., my friend in the lab needing more direct patient interaction).

That's all right and good when you can actually hold a job down for more than a few months so you can make some money to build a business. That's why this thread is mostly about "what do you wish you could do?"

If I was able to make that big of changes Sinri, I wouldn't be 28 and living at home.

I guess I forgot to mention that these friends made these transitions over a lot of years. The music-store owner didn't get to the point of owning her own store until she was over 50. She transitioned from paralegal to paralegal + part-time instrument repair + music lessons, then got a full-time job in a music store when she had more experience, and then after several years of working her way up to manager, transitioned into buying a store with her business partner (using loans).

My point was mainly that you don't need to pick one thing and then go do that for the rest of your life; just find jobs that give you room to grow and explore your interests, and they'll lead to new opportunities that you never even realized existed. The "48 Days to the Work You Love" book can help you find that kind of job.

P.S. My friends with the catering and sewing businesses only had to pay less than $100 for the business license, which they got after making a few casual sales and realizing they could make good income, and their businesses started as part-time (working around their "main" job). Online stores have similar start-up costs.

I have so much to add here that I can't even get my brain to keep it all in order. lol

First I will say that I lived with my parents until I was 28 and when they retired to a southern state, I rented a room from my brother for a few years and then lived in my sisters basement apartment. I could never afford to live on my own because I pursued my dream job. Equine Professional. I skipped college and went right to work at age 18 and gained tons of experience and even at my most successful points was only able to pull in around $300 a week. (Which is common in the horse world. Unless you are independently wealthy it is very tough to make it.) Even worse in winter... I went through a lot of depressed moments wondering if I would ever be able to live on my own. My job was amazing. I spent all day with horses, riding, teaching, training, horse showing. I had a really supportive family that enabled me to do this.

After getting really depressed about never having money (I couldn't even go to the movies with friends and was pretty much eating Ramen three meals a day.) I went to work retail at a snowboard shop in hopes of leaning the business and someday becoming a brand rep. The job was great. I was making decent money and I met a lot of amazing life long friends but I learned one important thing; I am TERRIBLE at selling product to people! lol It took a few years, but I eventually had to come to terms with the fact that no matter how much product knowledge I had, people were never sold on what I was saying. It was really frustrating to watch my friends walk over and say the same things to the same people and have them make the sale. Thank god we didn't work on commission! lol

So after this I didn't have a job and everyone was telling me to go to college. My parents even offered to pay for classes to become a x-ray tech or something. Nothing interested me, and I couldn't imagine spending money on something I hated. I also do not learn very well in a school setting which is why the horses worked so well for me. It's all hands on and learning by experience. Many of my friends and their families have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on schooling they now have no use for. I would say, 90% of my friends (we are all in our late to mid thirties) do not use the degrees they spent so much time earning. And now they will be paying off student loans until they are well into their 40's.

I guess what I'm saying I know what you're going through. I didn't go to college and change my major all the time (seems like a waste of money to me), but I did try a bunch of different "careers" in this game of life humans have created for themselves. At one point I was even thinking about becoming a wilderness guide, and then maybe a park ranger so I could be outside all the time. I think it's totally normal in this day and age to never settle and try out different things.

I see my attempts to keep this a "what I would do/if I could do" thread have fallen by the wayside.

This was not meant to be a "poor me" thread. I'll be stuck in retail for the rest of my life and I just have to deal with it. (Someone has to build the dung furniture in Neopia...why shouldn't it be me?)

That being said, I wish you all a good day...I'll just go and unsubscribe (from this thread) now...

Oops. I think we were all just relating to what you were saying. I didn't see you as whining at all. :-) Anyway, I totally went for my dream job regardless of money and even sometimes ability. There are definitely equine related things I still struggle with to this day, but I push through. Sorry you felt like we were all off topic! :-)

My apologies as well for not understanding the topic; I also didn't think you were whining. Trying to re-rail it, some of my dream jobs include:

1) writer (though I'm working on this one, but it's hard to make time)

2) Olympic athlete (in running -- a knee injury in high school crushed any chance of this one happening, though I probably didn't have enough talent, anyway)

3) science (nature) camp owner (maybe if I somehow write famous novels, I can afford to do this when I'm old and want to retire)

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean!!! Instead of coping and pasting another post I wrote, I'll write something different :P

When I was a kid, the life I wanted is like Mireya Mayor's life! I learned about her when I was watching her getting interviewed by Chelsea Handler...i looked her up and woooow this was the life I imagined when I was a kid! lol But I was 2 or 3 years into my anthropology degree when I learned about her (which is okay since Mireya is also an anthropologist...w00t w00t)

I'm in a research university and going into a masters program means you are going to specialize in a research subject...but i dont know if that will satisfy me forever :/

Buuuuuuuuuut, I just took a class and I loved the professor and what she taught in her class....who knew all the hours I spent during high school watching anime, bollywood, and rachel brice would pay off? lol It definitely lifted my spirits and made me hopeful that specialization in a research topic will not push me into a sad, lonely corner. I like to learn about a variety of things from different subjects.

That's why i am considering journalism, film/media, or photography. After high school, i havent really used my artistic talents as much, so that is something I would like to bring back into my life. I think media or photography can do that. My final project (which was this Tuesday) was a photo essay, so I'm trying to push myself and move toward that direction :)

If that doesnt pan out, I would like to become a concept artist. I didn't know this was a thing/existed when I was in high school...or else I think my life would be very, VERY different from what it is now. Still, I enjoy the choices I've made (school i went to, studying anthropology, people I've met) and what my life is now. :)

So.... If I can't become the next Mireya Mayor... I would like to work at places similar to Upworthy, DNews, JourneyMan, or Vice. Although, becoming a concept artist seems really cool and would make highschool me sooooo excited haha

Actually, if we're going to dream, I wish I was a master herbalist, so I could make medicines and run my own apothecary shop!

That would be amazing! One of my many research interests was looking into "traditional" (indigenous) medication and health and basically research is there are actual benefits or not...

These friends all started their businesses on a part-time basis, just exploring their interests (e.g., the musician took a class to build-your-own instrument), and as they enjoyed it, they gained experience and knowledge, slowly made sales, and eventually made the career transition once their businesses took off.

I guess what I'm saying I know what you're going through. [...] I think it's totally normal in this day and age to never settle and try out different things.

I agree.... playing around (eh...maybe not the correct choice of words :P) will help

I see my attempts to keep this a "what I would do/if I could do" thread have fallen by the wayside.

This was not meant to be a "poor me" thread. I'll be stuck in retail for the rest of my life and I just have to deal with it. (Someone has to build the dung furniture in Neopia...why shouldn't it be me?)

That being said, I wish you all a good day...I'll just go and unsubscribe (from this thread) now...

Sorry if my post went toward that direction as well, but for me the things I wanted to do and the direction I'm moving towards are very interrelated. I never could imagine what it must be like working for something you're not passionate about.

Also, recently I met a person (in his thirties) who always working in retail. he was offered a job where he could make 80k a year (i think thats what he said) and he turned it down because he rather become an archaeologist, even if it may pay less because it's something he enjoys. What I am trying to say it, you dont know what the future holds -- maybe you won't be stuck in retail for the rest of your life. But if you are, you can always have hobbies that exercise your interests :)

But to bring it back to your topic:

If I werent an anthropology student, I would be an illustrator or concept artist. :D Or graphic novelist!!

Please finish college, you young whipper snappers! I've been stuck in Governmental jobs for the last 19 years. It's not bad...I mean, I have had a job! BUT...with no education (and there is no way I'm going to college-I'm going to retire in approx 10 years)...I don't make a whole lot of money.

Remember...If you stay in school for years and years...you will delay your worst working fears!

I wish I wasn't so screwed up when I was younger. I LOVE IT when the young folk attend college! GO! GO! GO!!!!

With a complete college education YOU CAN DO ANYTHING. My son is 12, and he understands that he is going to college. Back in the early 90's, you could work without much of an education. Today, it's hard.

Keep it up!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a diploma in interior design, hoping to further into interior architecture in the very near future! As for my career, I sorta don't see myself doing ID, but at the same time, I don't really see myself doing anything other, so the future worries me D:

Urgh, I really honestly wish I could go back in time and repick what course I went to university for. I feel totally stupid in having picked Fine Art Painting; I mean realistically what sort of job could I walk into with that?? Not much...

I originally wanted to do my BA(Hons) in illustration and although it's way too late to change now (I graduate in 2 months), I think I'm going to hunt around for night classes, or even intermediates on the subject to add to my CV. Being an illustrator is my all time dream job, but I think as with many artists making a living off of your work is really tough going once you leave school. So I guess that's my goal/dream to work towards once I graduate, even if it means working a 9 to 5 job to pay the bills and only working on my art at weekends/evenings to build up a respectale portfolio.

Or a job as a concept artist... man, that would rock. <3 But yeah, illustration is my dream job. I just wish a career in art was less of a gamble, haha.

Back in college I changed majors, countless times. I'm still not sure if I chose the right one. I ended up going into sales and it's fun. Honestly out here in the world, I've learned that your major barely matters. There are tons of people in the same area as me with completely different majors. I like to think one day you'll just find a job that clicks, or you'll keep bouncing around until you do. Some people just like having new challenges and working the same job isn't for them.

I have a degree in accounting...but I don't even like the subject AT ALL (Asian parents and whatnot). If I could go back 4 1/2 years and with different circumstances, I think I'd probably want to go for a psychology major, or heck even go for archaeology. I think the concept of finding remnants of ancient civilizations and studying them is fascinating (Indiana Jones and the Mummy are probably the worst influences on the field but I still think the field is still super cool because of them).

I'm doing a diploma in interior design, hoping to further into interior architecture in the very near future! As for my career, I sorta don't see myself doing ID, but at the same time, I don't really see myself doing anything other, so the future worries me D:

I know how that is :( I cant imagine myself doing the same thing forever...

Urgh, I really honestly wish I could go back in time and repick what course I went to university for. I feel totally stupid in having picked Fine Art Painting; I mean realistically what sort of job could I walk into with that?? Not much...

I originally wanted to do my BA(Hons) in illustration and although it's way too late to change now (I graduate in 2 months), I think I'm going to hunt around for night classes, or even intermediates on the subject to add to my CV. Being an illustrator is my all time dream job, but I think as with many artists making a living off of your work is really tough going once you leave school. So I guess that's my goal/dream to work towards once I graduate, even if it means working a 9 to 5 job to pay the bills and only working on my art at weekends/evenings to build up a respectale portfolio.

Or a job as a concept artist... man, that would rock. <3 But yeah, illustration is my dream job. I just wish a career in art was less of a gamble, haha.

Same! Since I didnt go to art school and wasnt crazy about the art programs at my university, I just stopped art altogether (big mistake! people, keep practicing in sketchbooks, at least!) and I was mostly self taught to begin with so I want to teach myself again ... if i can find an affordable program or night class, i'll sign up!

illustration and concept art are things I'd be into :)

the only reason why i dont have an art major is because my dad thought it was a gamble as well...but i went into social science (anthropology) which turns out is also a gamble since not a lot of people know what it is haha. I guess Im a naturally inclined risk taker :p

Back in college I changed majors, countless times. I'm still not sure if I chose the right one. I ended up going into sales and it's fun. Honestly out here in the world, I've learned that your major barely matters. There are tons of people in the same area as me with completely different majors. I like to think one day you'll just find a job that clicks, or you'll keep bouncing around until you do. Some people just like having new challenges and working the same job isn't for them.

Yep, I heard many stories like this as well...and how it really doesnt matter what major you are/took. At least you found something you enjoy, and that is what matters (just my opinion) =]

I have a degree in accounting...but I don't even like the subject AT ALL (Asian parents and whatnot). If I could go back 4 1/2 years and with different circumstances, I think I'd probably want to go for a psychology major, or heck even go for archaeology. I think the concept of finding remnants of ancient civilizations and studying them is fascinating (Indiana Jones and the Mummy are probably the worst influences on the field but I still think the field is still super cool because of them).

We do make fun of those movies a lot :p

I heard archeology is 90% writing / research 10% excavating from a professor but people do have interesting stories (and parasites) when they come back from their trips!

wish i doubled majored in psychology as well