How can you tell a duped item from a real one?

bob_xxx

I have no idea either, but I've been searching around and although I can't find any information about a different ID, I did found these pages with more info about all kinds of scams:

http://www.neopets.com/~carpedeum#np

http://www.neopets.com/~lupemoneycounter

How exactly do you think you have been duped? Maybe we can find out more that way.

That what you speak of sounds like something that was a problem in the past, but I haven't really heard of it recently.

If you think the item ID is different from real items, you could check it. We have information about finding the ID's here.

Ya this just tells you how to find the ID number, but how do you tell if the ID number is of a real item or duped? Or will the ID of a duped item differ from a real one, while all the real ones will have the same ID?

Like for instance I want to see if my Item ID is the same as someone else's. But the item I have is a unbuyable and therefore I cannot search it on shop wiz or someone's lookup, how can I see if its the same? Will I have to ask them personally?

As far as I know, the ID is the only way that you might be able to tell the difference between a generated item and a normal one. It should behave the same as a normal item. I don't know if this will make finding information any easier, but I think it was a much bigger thing seven to nine years ago.

Good luck! I hope you don't have too much invested in this item!

As far as I know, the ID is the only way that you might be able to tell the difference between a generated item and a normal one. It should behave the same as a normal item. I don't know if this will make finding information any easier, but I think it was a much bigger thing seven to nine years ago.

Good luck! I hope you don't have too much invested in this item!

Alright sounds good, its just I've came back from a very very long hiatus and just learned about duping/genning so I kinda overly paranoid now.

For future reference, there is not an easy way to find an item number for an unbuyable. NeoItems used to have them, but that site is dead now. I know that JellyNeo collects ID numbers for their Item Database. Someone there might be able to tell you. You could also try finding someone with that item in their gallery.

For future reference, there is not an easy way to find an item number for an unbuyable. NeoItems used to have them, but that site is dead now. I know that JellyNeo collects ID numbers for their Item Database. Someone there might be able to tell you. You could also try finding someone with that item in their gallery.

Ahh I see. I'll ask around thanks

sorry, but what exactly is a "dupped" or "genned" item?

Genned is just an abbreviation for generated. Developers have innocent uses for the term, but cheaters in various games use it to refer to an item that the user obtained through a glitch or exploit. On Neopets, it is identical to an existing item, and it behaves the same. You cannot accidentally create a genned item, but it is possible to purchase or trade for one without knowing. The ID number is the only way that you might be able to tell the difference. It can also be used as a pretty flexibly. People might also be referring to an item involved in some kind of site-wide glitch.

I haven't heard about this happening for years, but cheating groups used to suddenly start making tons of duped items. People would make super expensive things like Super Attack Peas, Draik Morphing Potions, MSPP trading cards, and other things like that. Some of the items were sent to users to get them banned. Battledome Chat would pretty much implode. Even though you don't hear about it too much anymore, the legend is that some of these items are still floating around.