Nailbiting!!!! Gah!

Raichi

So you're biting nails.

Me too.

I've tried EVERYTHING the past 5 years, the gross nail-polish, normal nail-polish, using a nail-file instead of teeth. But once they get too long I just can't help myself and bite! Sometimes I manage to keep them a bit length for 2 weeks, and then my teeth strike again.

It's such an annoying habit, I want to have pretty nails, yet for some reason I resort to biting nails.

Does anyone share my frustration?

Or did you manage to quit?

Tell me your nail biting story please :)

I have heard going to go and get your nails done at a professional place can help.

Since you are paying for the service, or if you get the ones that are thick/hard nails (fake nails).

Since you cannot really bite those!

Other than that you seem to have tried the other things I would have recommended.

I hope something will help.

My problem's even worse than yours. Not that i just chew on my nails , i also got Dermatophagia. It's really terrible. I bite my own skin.

I'm addicted to it since i was a child. I started just by sticking my fingers into the mouth , what later turned to a bloody game. Biting your own skin hurts as [removed] , even after weeks you will still feel a burn on your fingers. My fingers become all bloody and discolored.

I still eat my skin , but less often. Once my fingers just looked too terrible. It grossed me out , and i said i would never ever chew on my nails. But i'm so tempted to do it again.....i know already this is bad , but idk what to do.

I don't really have a solution , but i once used bandages on my fingers. That kept me from biting them. I wanted to remove them , but i didn't. Then i used some moisturizing creme. But i did not apply it immediately after i chewed my fingers. This can lead to infections and hurts terribly. I applied it after i removed my bandages , and my fingers felt soft again.

Nail chewing is something very serious , even if it doesn't sound so. And after going to extremes , there's hardly a way you can make it stop.

I hoped i could help you at least a bit ^^

This post has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. These have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

When I as around 11 I could not fathom how somebody would chew their nails, they were so hard! Then at 13 I started chewing them as well :D It went on for about a year and then I just kind of stopped... it didn't do anything for me anymore and I realised it made this very loud sound that would disturb everyone else. I haven't chewed on my nails since then and don't have any desire to restart. My sister used to chew her nails a lot and my parents used all those bad tasting nail polishes and such, but she was too smart for them and would either wash them off or brace herself and chew it off as quickly as possible so she could continue her shenanigans :D She also doesn't chew her nails anymore, however, she keeps them very short, because otherwise she starts sort of peeling them off..

So perhaps any time you feel the urge or catch yourself chewing your nails, just cut them off so there's nothing to chew. You will still chew on the pink part of your nails and it will leave dents on them from your teeth (been there, done that) but it also hurts, because it is actually attached, so it is harder to do absent-mindedly...

I used to pick at the skin on my thumbs and bite my nails, but I stopped. My nails are very brittle and nail polish comes right off. It was annoying >.<

I second the suggestion for getting your nails done at a nail place, male or female! Males can go in and have them shaped and then coated with the professional top coat. Your nails will look so nice it'd be a shame to wreck them. I am female and get french tips, they look really nice and you really can't bite them off. And the nice thing is, at least in the US, nail places have manicure deals under $10. Good luck!

I'm going to try and go with determination again, and if it fails like usual I want to try the bandage thing DesGardius recommended :) I rarely ever visit spa's or sauna's or any kind of thing that costs money and isn't a fun experience. (aside haircuts, but that's also because I like it short, and the thing about hair is, it grows and you can't cut the hind-part yourself)

I'm more tended to spend money on things I enjoy than on things that would be good for my health. And I don't often spend money on myself.

I stopped biting my nails by keeping them really short. XD Basically as soon as they get long enough to be biteable, I cut them off. So I don't know how useful that is for anyone else! LOL

I'm not much of a biter anymore.. but I am a chewer! it's a nervous habit.. I'll either chew on my fingers, nails or insides of my lips/cheeks. I can actually manage to grow my nails out (I do love to paint them!), but they're fairly brittle, so it doesn't take a whole lot to tear or completely break them. especially since I use my hands a lot at work. for me, personally, having some kind of polish makes it easier to resist chewing. I still stick them in my mouth a lot, though >.<

oh, and I thought I'd mention that I actually do cut and dye my hair on my own! I've been doing it for a long time now, but it was pretty...interesting...the first year or so, but I've gotten a lot better at it! mirrors, mirrors, and more mirrors is essential!

I bit until 2 years ago, when I was 24.

I pretty much just started taking care of my hands in general. Every night I use cuticle cream to have stronger nails, I carry a nail clipper in my purse, car and next to my bed so if I DO snag I clip it.

I pay a lot of attention to my nails. No, it's not as viserally satisfying as peeling and destroying my nails but I don't want to be embarrassed by them, and you know, GERMS.

I still keep my nails quite short. They are very thin and fragile, but at least a few days of the week I'm doing some sort of treatment/giving them attention. It's replaced my habit in that.

Oh and I actually was chipping my bottom teeth from my voracious habit so you know, that also helped me quit. I have dangerous looking bottom teeth.

I used to bite my nails all the time, but now I don't really do it as much anymore. Nowadays I mostly bite the skin around my nails, which is just as bad (if not worse, because it gets really sore and awful).

My nail-biting habit (as well has my habit of biting slowed down a lot mostly because I paint my nails and sometimes I wear press-on nails (and believe me, biting with press-ons is nasty as anything because of the glue and stuff).

Well, either way, I wish you luck with quitting! It's one of the worst habits anyone can develop and it's one of the harder ones to break.

• 2 weeks later...

I chewed my nails my whole life until I got braces. I play four string instruments, so my nails are always really short to begin with, and because of that, the braces would come down on my fingertip every time I tried to bite my nails, so I kind of had to go cold turkey.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to bite my nails a lot, and I did manage to quit. What helped me to quit was to think of how pretty my nails will be if I didn't bite. Also the thought of dead skin cells, old food, germs, whatever, is under my nails YUCK! I don't want that in my mouth.

I have had long nails for years now. Biting nails is a hard habit to break. Try a new habit like twirling your hair or *cringe* popping your knuckles

Oh yeah, I bite my nails. Always have. I'm biting them right now! To be honest, I really don't have any desire to stop. Is that bad?? I KNOW that's bad! But...I don't know...I just kinda like it. Lol! It's really gross though I know, especially as I like to kinda play with the bitten off nail in my mouth for a bit. :* I happen to not really care how my nails look either. It's bad I know. I'll stop one of these days :D