The Mysteriously Mysterious...Thing...

Novelista

So this caught my eye when I read this week's editorial...

Dear TNT,
Why are you silencing people on the boards for mentioning the [removed]? It is almost as if you are trying to pretend it isn't happening by removing all of the threads mentioning it. What I would suggest you do, rather than trying to sweep this under the rug and ignoring it, is actually [suggestion]. [Removed] are not going to go anywhere unless you change things, so pretending it isn't happening will not make the problem go away. Do something about it! ~albashot

We are well aware of the many types of cheating that go on, and we're constantly figuring out solutions as to how to stop it and make the site fair to everyone. You may have noticed over the years that we do not like cheaters. The reason we remove the boards is not because we're trying to cover anything up, but because they are huge, blaring advertisements for such cheating. For every number of people that turn their nose up in disgust at the cheaters that were just pointed out, there are going to be some who are introduced to the group through these boards and join their ranks. This is also why we deleted boards regarding a malfunctioning item earlier this week.

I don't frequent the boards, so I have no idea what's going on. Do any of you?

Ah, so it's not one specific site or method, then? I thought the person was trying to be specific and it made me think, "Ugh! TNT is dangling a carrot here...what am I missing?"

I believe they are talking about websites/groups of people that that use programs to cheat at the games.

They are.

There was a glitch with an item that showed a bunch of emails between TNT members earlier in the week. One of the emails mentioned a cheating group by name (I saw a screencap on tumblr), and someone linked to a board on the forums from that cheating site where they were pretty excited about the advertising TNT unknowingly gave them. So it makes sense that TNT would be deleting any mention of any cheating site or group as it comes up- because people do become interested in what cheats there are available.

There was a glitch with an item that showed a bunch of emails between TNT members earlier in the week. One of the emails mentioned a cheating group by name (I saw a screencap on tumblr)...

Whoa, that's huge! Oh my goodness. No wonder they felt it absolutely necessary to mention it in the NT this week! Thanks for filling me in, Rebecca.

Whoa, that's huge! Oh my goodness. No wonder they felt it absolutely necessary to mention it in the NT this week! Thanks for filling me in, Rebecca.

Yeah! I'm amazed that could even happen (though it was pretty cool seeing people chat backa nd forth, and seeing some of the stuff they do to protect users from creepers on the web).

They are.

There was a glitch with an item that showed a bunch of emails between TNT members earlier in the week. One of the emails mentioned a cheating group by name (I saw a screencap on tumblr), and someone linked to a board on the forums from that cheating site where they were pretty excited about the advertising TNT unknowingly gave them. So it makes sense that TNT would be deleting any mention of any cheating site or group as it comes up- because people do become interested in what cheats there are available.

Wait i dont understand what you mean. So did the message go to random users or TNT members?

They are.

It happened when you fed a Shiny Obsidian to your Grarrl or Skeith- it would show the staff chatlogs. Someone made a post on /r/neopets about it, comments here and image here. Warning! Profanity in the comments.

This resulted in a sudden surge in the Skeith and Grarrl population, flooding the pound with these two species. The boards blew up and TNT panicked and deleted all of the threads. The error is fixed now.

*reads the image and about dies right there on the couch*

*reads the Reddit thread*

I'm thankful for the pedowatch, for certain.

I do wish there was tiered chatting, but like that person said, it's a pipedream.

Also, apparently the mod that was talking about the one cheating site only vaguely knows about it, because it's Clraik, not...whatever he put down. (And for the record, Clraik's stuff doesn't work worth a squat. Or maybe it's only their VIP stuff that works. I wouldn't know.)

Thanks, Spaghatta!

*reads the image and about dies right there on the couch*

*reads the Reddit thread*

I'm thankful for the pedowatch, for certain.

I do wish there was tiered chatting, but like that person said, it's a pipedream.

Also, apparently the mod that was talking about the one cheating site only vaguely knows about it, because it's Clraik, not...whatever he put down. (And for the record, Clraik's stuff doesn't work worth a squat. Or maybe it's only their VIP stuff that works. I wouldn't know.)

Thanks, Spaghatta!

I am so thankful for pedowatch. It's something I've never really thought about, but they must work really hard to keep people from harming other users. it definitely makes me think twice before ragging on TNT now- they clearly put a lot of time into communication with each other so people don't get frozen or warned for things they shouldn't be (all the mentions of giving non-warning messages telling people that x isn't a topic they should be talking about). I know why they wanted to keep people from reading it, but it definitely improved my opinion of them! And that seems to be the opinion across the board, which is pretty groovy!

It's definitely changed my opinion of them for the better. I was blissfully unaware of this glitch as well until that editorial question. I got curious and came here to see what everyone else had to say. I, too, will think twice before I rag on them from now on.

I think we tend to forget that there are people out there who (to paraphrase a popular Pagan shirt) think the younglings are "crunchy and taste good with ketchup". I, for one, am thankful we have TNT to take away their ketchup!

I believe it's dA that says on its outgoing links "Warning: Out There Be Monsters". With that glitch, TNT reminded us how true that really is.

I can NOT believe people cheat. I mean... for some reason I thought that everyone played fair. How am I so naive? Seriously, I just went on [Removed]'s website. (I had it saved in some bookmarks from years ago..?) I read to see what all their hype was about and was blown away. I don't mind swearing, I have a potty mouth of my own. But I really don't approve of cheating to such a degree.

It's teams like this that have ruined these games like Altador Cup for the rest of us. And it's people like them that are the reason some of us get banned or frozen for almost no reason.

*FUMES*

It happened when you fed a Shiny Obsidian to your Grarrl or Skeith- it would show the staff chatlogs. Someone made a post on /r/neopets about it, comments here and image here. Warning! Profanity in the comments.

This resulted in a sudden surge in the Skeith and Grarrl population, flooding the pound with these two species. The boards blew up and TNT panicked and deleted all of the threads. The error is fixed now.

Hol-y cheet-os Are. You. Serious?! This is HUGE! TNT shows true colors, and I'm glad to know they are real people. But this is bad for those in the community that are immature and wish to harm others. In one way or another.

Anyway... I'm just so blown away. Completely.

So yeah... there's me ranting.

Wow... it's crazy that a glitch like that could even happen. But it's even crazier to think that sometimes TNT are the good guys. So often they're painted as the looming overlords... but they're really out there doing good stuff and keeping people safe. That's cool.