Help for a new battler

Hi, i'm Desertfreak10. I recently got a new pet

Who has 71 hit points. his weapons are these

shw_shenkuu_cannon.gifala_sword_2.gifbd_space_laserhelmet.gifbd_darkfaerie_darts.gif

bd_acy14vii_yooyuball_goalarm.gifscamander_shield.gifbd_ger_obsidiandagger.gifala_spear.gif

I just did my first battle with him and him and I did kinda good but lost a lot of HP.

Do you guys have any tips for a new comer? I would love some help!

EDIT: I just won a battle with 5 HP left against a 26 HP person :sick02:

101577.png

ld.jpg

....How in the honk does it have 71hp at Lv2? Was it labbed?

While I can't say I'm a good battledomer, a key thing I've noticed is the lack of any healing item. A lot of your weapons are fairly weak too. I'd say you should ditch anything that's less than 6 icons at the absolute minimum, but maybe aim for 9.

A good place to start is TDN's very own guide here: http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/basic-weapon-sets/

I'd say a Beginner's set is a good place to start, but you won't get a lot out of it unless you train up your pet's other stats, specifically strength and defense. My pet has half the hp but almost equal in your other stats...

It looks like the weapons you're using are: Ancient Shenkuu Cannon, Altadorian Initiate Sword, Helm-Mounted Laser Beam, Dark Faerie Darts, Yooyuball Goalie Armour, Scamander Shield, Obsidian Dagger, and Double Pointed Spear.

You have a lot of attack weapons, a few shields, and not much else. A well-rounded set usually has 2 attack weapons (either constant or dual duty), 1-2 shields, 1 healer, and Downsize!. For the extra slots, some players choose to use bombs, freezers, stealers, or reflectors. I'll talk about each of these in order.

• Attack weapons, a.k.a. constants. All of your constants (multi-use pure attack weapons) give 3 to 8 icons, and there are a lot of cheap weapons that do better than that. Weapons like Ridiculously Heavy Battle Hammer, Rainbow Scroll, Carved Qasalan Blowgun, Pike Pike, and Throwing Cutlass all give you a constant 9 icons for pretty cheap. (Keep in mind that you can equip two of the same constant, so you could be attacking with 18 icons each turn.) Or, if you don't want to spend that many NP, there are weapons like Festive Holiday Scroll that give you a constant 8 icons, unlike some of your weapons like Ancient Shenkuu Cannon, which only have a chance to do all 8 icons.
  • Attack and defense weapons, a.k.a. dual-duties. Alternatively, you could get some dual-duty weapons. There are plenty of cheap ones that do a constant 8 icons, but also give you 3 icons of defense. Snowager Sword and Oversized Maractite Rune Sword are two inexpensive ones. If you want to spend more NP, there are more options on the Basic Weapon Sets page.
  • Defensive weapons, a.k.a. shields. Your shields defend against 8-9 icons. They're acceptable shields, and you'll have to spend a good chunk of HP to upgrade. However, if you want to upgrade, there are a lot of good options. Some favorites among beginning and seasoned battlers alike include Leaf Shield, Shiny Shoal Shell Shield, and Parasol of Unfortunate Demise. One of my favorites is Virtupets X-514 Super Shield. Even though it costs a pretty penny, it defends against a wide variety of icon types, so you're practically guaranteed to reduce some of the damage you receive when you use it.
  • Healers. With healers, you pretty much want to buy the best one you can afford that doesn't go over your max HP. Rejuvenating Jar of Brains or Greater Healing Scroll are both good ones, but may be out of your price range. You might want to start with something like Lesser Healing Scroll, which will still help you in battle.
  • Downsize! Downsize is a super helpful defensive weapon. Many battlers don't consider a set to be complete without it. It basically causes you to halve the damage you receive on one turn during battle. Can't complain about that! The tricky part is knowing when to use it. Since you never really can predict when your opponent will attack at their strongest, it's kind of a guessing game, but it never hurts to decrease your damage received by half.
  • Bombs. Bombs are usually high-icon, once-per-battle or one-use weapons. They are often used in conjunction with freezers, so you use the bomb while your opponent is frozen and therefore can't defend against it. At your level, the best bombs are the one-use 15-icon muffins. The cheapest one right now is Robot Muffin. Once you get into the higher battling levels and are willing to spend more NP on weapons, you can look into getting a multi-use bomb.
  • Freezers. Freezers cause your opponent to be frozen for a turn, meaning they can't use weapons. It's pretty awesome because then they can't hurt your or defend against your attack. You'll notice they're all fairly expensive; that's because they're so awesome. Good freezers for a beginner include Snowglobe Staff, Scroll of Freezing (though it's fragile and breaks), or Randomly Firing Freeze Ray. Green Frost Cannon is a cheap one, but its probability of freezing is so low that I'm not sure it's worth taking up a weapon slot when you use it.
  • Stealers. Stealers are weapons that give you a chance to take one of your opponents weapons for the duration of the battle. These can be pretty cool, since if you happen to steal a good weapon, then not only can your opponent not use it, but you can use it for yourself against your opponent. However, at the beginner level, your opponents don't have a ton of great weapons that you'd want to steal. (This is opposed to higher-difficulty opponents, many of which have some awesome weapons like Jade Scorchstone or Thyoras Tear.) Also, most of the affordable stealers don't have a high probability of stealing. If you are interested in stealing, a fairly good and cheap staler is Purple Sticky Hand.
  • Reflectors. While I personally don't use reflectors much, I know a lot of battlers get a lot of use out of them. These are weapons that take the damage you receive, block it, and use a percentage of it to attack your opponent. Several 50% stealers are very affordable, such as Shovel Plus (earth), Turbo Flame Reflector (fire), Double Dryer (air), Ultra Dark Reflectorb (dark), Expert Lens (light), and Super U-Bend (water).
So, those are the different types of weapons you might want to consider getting. If you're interested in more options for specific weapons in each class, definitely check out the Battlepedia's Basic Weapon Sets guide, as Avistic suggested. It includes most of these suggestions, plus some additional options that you could get.

In addition to upgrading your weapons, I cannot stress enough the importance of training. Damage is calculated by multiplying the number of icons you do times your strength boost, which is a multiplier based on your pet's strength. Right now, since you have 29 strength, your strength boost is 1.25, which means that when you use a weapon that does 8 icons, if none of them are blocked, your opponent will receive 8 x 1.25 = 10 damage. You can increase your damage by either increasing your icons or increasing your strength, which will increase your multiplier. In the long run, it's actually more effective to increase your strength than to increase your number of icons. A pet with a strength boost of 15 (the max) can do more damage with a six-icon Scarab Ring than your pet could do with a 32-icon Super Attack Pea. Defense works similarly, where the greater defense you have, the more damage points will be blocked from your pet. Overall, though, your best bet is to both train and upgrade your weapons. Then you can have a formidable battle pet.

You're pretty close to the next boost level at 35, so definitely try to get your pet's strength and defense to 35. That will make your boost 1.5 instead of 1.25. From there, keep training to get to the next boost at 55, and then to the next boost, etc. You can read more about boosts and see the cutoffs at the Battlepedia's Strength and Defense Boosts guide.

The other benefit to training is that you'll be able to use Faerie Abilities. Since TNT recently released new faerie abilities, the Battlepedia team is still working on determining the effects of some of the abilities, but the ones at lower levels are pretty well-tested right now. Once you train your level, you'll be able to train some abilities, which can really help you in battle. My suggestion is to aim for Level 50 so you can use Lens Flare. It works a lot like a freezer, but it's a lot cheaper to obtain than most freezers.