Looking for advice with my BD pet

Ok, so it's obviously that Bweetik is my main pet and thus BD pet.

Link to lookup: http://www.neopets.com/petlookup.phtml?pet=Bweetik

So I was trying to train even stats from the beginning, but since the obelisk war broke out, I had to train strength, defense, and hp. I trained max HP I could with the Pirate training (to 80 HP) and strength, defence to the 50-something boots, but then I accidentally do a quest which increased my HP so I have to do Island training from that on. Now my pet strength is currently at 81 and defence is at 79. SInce the cost has been increase somewhat more than the old cost. And I don't really much invest in BD, so I think I should just trained my HP + strength, and buy some decent attack weapon, instead of trying to train even stats like right now and have to buy a good blocker too. I think that defense weapon's a little bit useless (sorry if somebody thinks the opposite way with me) , since you have to guess the weapon the opponent will use to use the right blocker. I even think of buying a lab map to reduce cost of training in the long run so which means my defence point will not increase that much (I think).

But before I do any of the above, I want to here some advice first from the BD experts ;)

Ok, so it's obviously that Bweetik is my main pet and thus BD pet.

Link to lookup: http://www.neopets.com/petlookup.phtml?pet=Bweetik

So I was trying to train even stats from the beginning, but since the obelisk war broke out, I had to train strength, defense, and hp. I trained max HP I could with the Pirate training (to 80 HP) and strength, defence to the last boots, but then I accidentally do a quest which increased my HP so I have to do Island training from that on. Now my pet strength is currently at 81 and defense is at 79. SInce the cost has been increase somewhat more than the old cost. And I don't really much invest in BD, so should I just trained my HP + strength, and buy some decent attack weapon, instead of trying to train even stats like right now? I think that defense weapon's a little bit useless (sorry if somebody thinks the opposite way with me) , since you have to guess the weapon the opponent will use to use the right blocker. I even think to buy a lab map to reduce cost of training in the long run so which means my defence point will not increase that much (I think).

But before I do any of the above, I want to here some advice first from the BD experts ;)

Defence is never useless. You could win instead of draw with your defence.

What set do you have? Also how much is your budget?

You should have trained Endurance to 120 in MI training school before the FQ event started. But since you're level 49 anyways, I suggest you do this.

Train HP, Defence and Strength to 85. Continue training unitl you're Lvl. 78, HP, Def and Atk at 156. Then train HP to 190. Do not train Movement unless you want the Heavy Robe of Thievery.

You should definitely train both strength and defense to the 85 boost. You're so close that it's really likely worth the NP. After that, you should think about your strategy. Some people are successful with a low defense strategy, but they usually have really high strength boosts. For example, my pet has about 110 defense, but over 500 strength. I wish I had higher defense, because I have to have high HP and strength to make sure I can take hard hits from my enemies and kill them before they kill me. You can aim for that kind of pet, but it will take you a long time to get enough HP and strength to make defense not worth it. If you're starting with a balanced pet, it's probably best to continue with a balanced pet.

If you're considering the lab ray, my advice is to start zapping, but keep your pet trainable. That's what I wish I had done. You'll get lots of free HP and some free strength, and if you supplement it with training defense, you'll end up with a strong balanced pet. Seems pretty win-win to me!

Defence is never useless. You could win instead of draw with your defence.

What set do you have? Also how much is your budget?

You should have trained Endurance to 120 in MI training school before the FQ event started. But since you're level 49 anyways, I suggest you do this.

Train HP, Defence and Strength to 85. Continue training unitl you're Lvl. 78, HP, Def and Atk at 156. Then train HP to 190. Do not train Movement unless you want the Heavy Robe of Thievery.

Yeah, talk about it, since I sell all of my set during the last fight of the war, so I left with non except some Ridiculously Heavy Battle Hammer, a Scroll of the Scholar, and a Lesser Healing Scroll are probably my most valuable weapons right now. I didn't set a solid budget for it really, but I don't tend to spend much on it. And I think there's a little misunderstanding here. The quest that I had was before the event started, and it increased different types of stats (a battle faerie quest if I remember correctly ;)). The last part, I don't understand why I should train my Def and Atk at 156? Is there a special thing :)

You should definitely train both strength and defense to the 85 boost. You're so close that it's really likely worth the NP. After that, you should think about your strategy. Some people are successful with a low defense strategy, but they usually have really high strength boosts. For example, my pet has about 110 defense, but over 500 strength. I wish I had higher defense, because I have to have high HP and strength to make sure I can take hard hits from my enemies and kill them before they kill me. You can aim for that kind of pet, but it will take you a long time to get enough HP and strength to make defense not worth it. If you're starting with a balanced pet, it's probably best to continue with a balanced pet.

If you're considering the lab ray, my advice is to start zapping, but keep your pet trainable. That's what I wish I had done. You'll get lots of free HP and some free strength, and if you supplement it with training defense, you'll end up with a strong balanced pet. Seems pretty win-win to me!

Thanks for the tips :D

I'm certain about your advice, but I'm still wonder if I use the lab ray, I'm scared that I'm not able to train it with the same speed as the lab does, since I think the lab increases (or decreases) stats in bulk, and if the HP (or other stats) goes out of my level reach, then it would be a pitty. A litle help for me on that would be great! :D

Yeah, talk about it, since I sell all of my set during the last fight of the war, so I left with non except some Ridiculously Heavy Battle Hammer, a Scroll of the Scholar, and a Lesser Healing Scroll are probably my most valuable weapons right now. I didn't set a solid budget for it really, but I don't tend to spend much on it. And I think there's a little misunderstanding here. The quest that I had was before the event started, and it increased different types of stats (a battle faerie quest if I remember correctly ;)). The last part, I don't understand why I should train my Def and Atk at 156? Is there a special thing :)Thanks for the tips :D

I'm certain about your advice, but I'm still wonder if I use the lab ray, I'm scared that I'm not able to train it with the same speed as the lab does, since I think the lab increases (or decreases) stats in bulk, and if the HP (or other stats) goes out of my level reach, then it would be a pitty. A litle help for me on that would be great! :D

To save money of course. Visit the Battlepedia's Training Guide here: http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/Fast-Training/

Set:

2x Scroll of Knowledge

Greater Healing Scroll/ Blue Scorchstone

Downsize!

Leaf Shield

Sophies Magic Hat/ Patched Magic Hat

Any 15-icon muffin/Jar of Meepit Eyes/ Swift Darkfire Negg Bomb

Ranomly Firing Freezing Ray/ Snowglobe Staff

Abilities:

Lens Flare (Train Level to 50)

(First get Shhh! then change to lens flare for 8 light points)

An Icicle

Positive Thinking

Shade

Static Cling

My pet's current stats:

Lvl : 338
Str : 675
Def : 678
Hp : 656

I supplement training with labbing; it saves me a lot of time. I currently train ~3 times per day, zap once per day (and currently daily faerie quests, which has thrown things off a bit). I'm currently training level to catch up with half my defense, and then I'll train strength for my other two trainings today. I have until level ~395 or so (and thus str/def/hp ~790 or so) when I'll start worrying about evening things up (and by that I mean training HP to catch up). In general, I've found that I rarely have to train HP. You'll probably have to train defense a bit more than the others, but just train whatever's lowest of HP/str/def, and level when you have to (except HP, unless it's a lot lower -- the lab never takes those away, and likes to give them in bigger chunks), and keep an eye as you approach the next training school tier. Once HP reaches 5 below the next tier, and/or strength/defense/level reach 3 below, stop zapping until you even things up with training. Once things are even, you can zap one more time to get whichever stat closest to the next tier, then train everything else until you're forced to go up to the next tier -- and then you can start zapping in earnest again.

In the past, I would overtrain HP before going to the next training tier, but I found that usually meant I had to stop zapping for a while as I waited for everything else to catch up. As you can see, with training 3x/day, HP is now lagging a bit, but it caught up with the others again around 635, so it might catch up again (and like I said, the quests have messed things up a bit, since I've gotten 5-8 def and 2-4 str from them, at least, but no HP). If you do overtrain HP, only do it by ~10 or so (and don't do it at all if you only train once per day -- trust me on this one).

Zapping has saved me literally millions of NP -- and probably at least a year off the time it would have taken me to train this high. Yes, you'll lose stats. Sometimes you'll lose several days in a row. But remember that the net effect is an increase in stats, so it saves money and time off training. Keep a record of your changes, if you like. But don't be scared of the lab ray -- it's easy to keep a pet balanced as long as you pay attention.

Zapping has saved me literally millions of NP -- and probably at least a year off the time it would have taken me to train this high. Yes, you'll lose stats. Sometimes you'll lose several days in a row. But remember that the net effect is an increase in stats, so it saves money and time off training. Keep a record of your changes, if you like. But don't be scared of the lab ray -- it's easy to keep a pet balanced as long as you pay attention.

That's all good and well as long as you don't mind you battle pet changing colour and species every so often. I initially trained my main pet with the ray but gave up because I really wanted her to stay an Eyrie. Transmogrified her before continuing to train at the training school. ...now only use the lab ray to get my dreamies. Got a Lutari that way which is a reasonable beginner battle now and who knows where my current lab rat ends up before it is one of the species/ colours I like to keep.

That's all good and well as long as you don't mind you battle pet changing colour and species every so often. I initially trained my main pet with the ray but gave up because I really wanted her to stay an Eyrie. Transmogrified her before continuing to train at the training school. ...now only use the lab ray to get my dreamies. Got a Lutari that way which is a reasonable beginner battle now and who knows where my current lab rat ends up before it is one of the species/ colours I like to keep.

Well, I do mind. I decided to train my pet Mynci, who was one of the 3 pets I created (monkeys are my favorite animal, so once I realized Myncis existed, I had to have one). I did the cost-benefit analysis. At the time, I didn't want a fourth pet for my battler, and she had the highest stats. And Mynci TP/MPs are relatively cheap compared to how much I would save on training (just in NP alone, not even factoring in the time, which resulted in better placement in ROS, TFR, etc., and thus more plot points -> better prizes -> even more NP) -- when I say I've saved millions, I mean at least 10M, probably more. In my heart, my pet is still a Mynci (an Island Mynci, even, which she's never been). Once she's at the 750 boosts, I'll probably stop zapping her and morph/paint her as she's always been in my heart. As a bonus, I've gotten free extra clothes for my other pets (e.g., Zombie flotsam, and even Halloween Mynci waiting for Grainne to change back). So it's worth considering the cost savings vs. the cost of repainting the pet to make it how you like (and how much you can stand looking at the uglies -- then again, there are some cheap paintbrushes/morphing potions that aren't completely ugly if you get desperate, which I did once when I got stuck with a snot pet and had to take a lot of time off zapping).