Unwanted Opinions

Anxious Zombie

Hey forum friends. As it turns out I'm not really in a rage right now, I just thought of this because my bf scored a 2 for 1 movie pass.

I HATE it when you mention that you haven't seen a movie yet, or that you're going to see it, and someone decides they're going to tell you why that would be a complete waste of your time and money. Like what the heck?! For one, your idea of what a good movie is might be different then mine, for another now it will be because you just ruined it for me.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to say that you didn't like the movie and then give a reason that wont ruin the movie (lke the entire plot! I hate when that happens) then sure, I want to hear your opinion but other wise keep it to your self.

What do you guys think? Is my rage in these situations justified or am I really just a troll? :P

This really reminds me of a video I just watched. It talked about people wanting to "yuck" your "yum". It talked about how some people just want to ruin something for someone else, because that someone else holds a different opinion.

I've had several of my interests criticized and been ridiculed for them... Simply because the other person doesn't care for the same thing. Sometimes you just have to ignore people. What I enjoy is what I enjoy, regardless of someone else's opinion. I'm not so shallow that I'm going to try to change what I like because of someone's harsh opinion of me.

I know you're talking about spoilers, too, but it really is annoying when people criticize you for your interests.

Edit: Found the video, in case you want to watch. Granted, I need to work on this too...

That is completely understandable to be angry. There is a difference between someone saying, "Oh, I saw that. I didn't like it very much- the acting was kind of hammy, and the plot didn't make a lot of sense. But it was pretty funny- partly because of the hammy acting. Hopefully you'll like it more than I did." and "Oh, that movie sucks. The characters did this, when clearly they should have done this", etc.

On top of just having someone spoil something for you, there is just the respect involved- acknowledging that people are allowed to have different opinions than yourself! A friend of mine is terrible about this- whenever I mention something that she doesn't like she kind of gets this aloof air about her. It's just like... really?

Haha, I think we all need to work on it. Some times it just slips out (especially if you secretly don't really like the person >.>).

Rebecca, I think we all have at least one friend like that O.o Mine happens to be a good friend and I've come to realize that's just how he is. So I tend to avoid being the one to bring movies I like or want to see into topics unless I know he likes them too. It's fun when we both hate movies though :P

Haha, I think we all need to work on it. Some times it just slips out (especially if you secretly don't really like the person >.>).

Rebecca, I think we all have at least one friend like that O.o Mine happens to be a good friend and I've come to realize that's just how he is. So I tend to avoid being the one to bring movies I like or want to see into topics unless I know he likes them too. It's fun when we both hate movies though :P

We probably all do! Which is unfortunate, because we shouldn't have to avoiding bringing up things we enjoy with our friends. But yes, that is just how some people are. :)

I agree with all of you :) The worst is when you're watching a movie at your house with other people, and someone's like "So-and-so dies at the end." Well someone told me a comeback to that:

Look at them with no expression, and just say "We ALL die in the end." I've done that once, the other person was really creeped out. :P

Those people are annoying and should shush their mouths. Why even debate it?

A different but related story:

My brother-in-law started complaining about how bad Skyfall was, and how it destroyed James Bond's character, etc. etc. etc. Now, my husband and I both personally liked it. But BIL started ranting and ranting. He started talking about how bad it was because James Bond only had like ONE GADGET. Oh, no! And it was such a LAME gadget, too! The horror! Well, I said I actually LIKED that, because it was much more realistic than the other movies.

At this point, he changed his rant. He started ranting about how he hates it when people can't just ENJOOOOY a movie, and instead they have to be all nitpicky about how realistic is, and such-and-such wouldn't have actually happened.

That's when I reminded him of the irony of him saying that specifically in regards to a conversation about ME enjoying a movie, while HE was nitpicking every tiny little thing and failing to enjoy it.

Look at them with no expression, and just say "We ALL die in the end." I've done that once, the other person was really creeped out.

I love it. :rock:(Again) a different but related story, I got sick of telemarketers and people bugging me on the streets trying to sell me stuff or donate or sign a petition or whatever. So I've started looking them straight in the eye and saying "[Your organization] killed my family."

• 4 years later...

This reminds me of one time that my cousin saw a movie. She loved it. She told us about what she loved, without ruining the plot because she knew I wanted to go see it. It was Wonder Woman. I still don't know anything about the plot, but I know what cool stuff I should be looking out for thanks to her. 

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not bump old threads. Spamming for ALP lends is not allowed.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Rune Valentine if you have any questions regarding this action.

• hrtbrk locked this topic