Negg training and battle set questions?

Okay, so I read a guide that was posted by a member of TDN but I don't quite get it. Here: http://www.tdnforums...np-conversion/. It didn't really explain things well enough for me, I guess. I'm completely new to this method of training. I know it's quite costly but I was considering doing it a few times so I could be better prepared for the plot.

Alright. So my first question is: Since you cannot go twice above any one stat in the training academy, is it possible to do so with a negg? That is my main concern, so I sure hope you are able to. If I am able to train this way with neggs, then which ones should I use? I'm really new to this so any insight is appreciated. Also, would it be cheaper to buy neggs off of the shopwiz/TP or is it best to collect negg tokens? If the latter is true, does anyone have a nifty guide that tells me how many negg tokens a negg is worth?

Here are my current pitiful stats to give you more info ;)

Level: 10

Health: 54/54

Strength: 21

Defense: armoured (I still don't know what that means. I guess it's just because it's so low it doesn't have a number yet?)

Movement: 48

So I'm assuming first and foremost I will need to up my defense some, right? If so, what would be the most cost effective neggs to go about this with? OR, do you think strength would be most important? I know I will need to do both, and I believe you can feed one to your pet every six hours? So hopefully I can gain a few extra stats. With the upcoming plot I'm sure neggs have inflated quite a bit, so that is going to suck. I don't really even know how much I should expect to pay for a few stat changes... but here's to hoping it's within budget.

Not sure what my main weapon will be yet. I do have a golden compass and leaf shield. I will also be using downsize and a green scorchstone (being lent by an awesome person. :P) May also be getting lent a honeypotion or a rusty pitchfork, although I'm not entirely sure yet.

So, another question. (Sorry for all the questions :*) but what categories would these weapons fall under as far as a 'set' goes and what would I be missing from my set?

If I'm not mistaken. It would be:

Pitchfork (or) honey potion: as main weapon.

golden compass: duel duty

leaf shield: shield (obviously)

green scorchstone: healer

downsize: unsure?

So in this circumstance, what else would I need to complete my set. Could anyone recommend a good bomb to use? Thanks for reading and sorry for making this so long!

Since you cannot go twice above any one stat in the training academy, is it possible to do so with a negg?

Yes. Any other method, besides the training schools, lets you go over the x2 amount. Faerie Quests, Neggs and other quests will allow your stats to go higher. HOWEVER, if you do go over, you will not be able to train anything else in the school until you train level up to at least half your highest stat again.

Also, would it be cheaper to buy neggs off of the shopwiz/TP or is it best to collect negg tokens?

With people gearing up for the (practically) inevitable plot, anything that helps with stats is going to inflate. You'd have to look at the cost of what to buy for what you want to train versus the cost of the neggs you'd need to trade for it.

For example, Armoured Neggs, a popular way of training Defense are currently (at the time of posting this) selling for around 40k. They are worth 16 negg points. "Negg"s are currently going for 2.1-2.5k at the lowest. It would cost 33k-40k (16x2.1k - 16x2.5k) to buy enough Neggs (worth 1 point) to trade in for an Armoured negg, In this case, you may be better off using negg points. After looking up Purple Neggs, it would cost roughly 35-40k to buy enough to trade in for enough negg tokens. As of right now, it may be *slightly* better to use tokens than to buy the negg you want right out. However, as everyone is gearing up for the plot, prices are likely to change drastically, so this may become untrue, even in a matter of hours. Make sure to do the math based on the market at your time of purchase before you decide.

We have a guide to neggs and their token values here.

With your stats, the only negg that you would really benefit from is the Armoured Negg. The other stat increasing neggs cost WAY too much (many are unbuyable, a ton more than buying a couple codestones a few times per day) to be practical for you right now, and, compared with your current cost/time of training, it would be a waste to use them unless you're REALLY impatient and have money to burn.

I'm not completely familiar with weapons, so I can't offer any help there, but our Battlepedia has some excellent articles on battle sets.

I can help you with your set! :D

So first, to clarify, you have these items equipped:

Golden Compass

Leaf Shield

Green Scorchstone

Downsize!

Okay, so first, get another constant. Right now the items are super inflated. Can you please specify your budget? And what other items you have? I do have lots of suggestions, but I need to know the parameters. Right now, the most practical thing to do with your stats is through training, as neggs are only worth it when you're currently around the +100 stats.

I also took note that you're being lent Green Scorchstone and you're looking to buy Rusty Pitchfork? I say buy the Rusty Pitchfork if those are your only choices.

I can help you with your set! :D

So first, to clarify, you have these items equipped:

Golden Compass

Leaf Shield

Green Scorchstone

Downsize!

Okay, so first, get another constant. Right now the items are super inflated. Can you please specify your budget? And what other items you have? I do have lots of suggestions, but I need to know the parameters. Right now, the most practical thing to do with your stats is through training, as neggs are only worth it when you're currently around the +100 stats.

I also took note that you're being lent Green Scorchstone and you're looking to buy Rusty Pitchfork? I say buy the Rusty Pitchfork if those are your only choices.

As of right now I only have the leaf shield and golden compass. A friend of mine is going to lend me downsize and green scorchstone. Also either a honey potion or a rusty pitchfork. (not sure which yet) so I will have either of those items and then that's what I'll have to work with. Right now I'm trying to train as much as I possibly can, it's just so time consuming. You see the problem is that my level is 10 and my highest stat is health at 54. Which means I'd have to train up my level A LOT before being able to increase my strength/defence, right? Not sure how much more I'd need to increase my level. Currently I'm doing my training at the academy because I don't have any codestones stacked up. That's why I thought an armoured negg *might* be a good alternative.

My budget is pathetically low, because I just did a custom for my dream pet. So I'm going to be looking for a bomb that is under 500k, or possibly a lot cheaper. (that's all the np's I have at the moment.) Is there anything else you'd recommend aside from a good bomb?

Thanks so much for your help. :)

As of right now I only have the leaf shield and golden compass. A friend of mine is going to lend me downsize and green scorchstone. Also either a honey potion or a rusty pitchfork. (not sure which yet) so I will have either of those items and then that's what I'll have to work with. Right now I'm trying to train as much as I possibly can, it's just so time consuming. You see the problem is that my level is 10 and my highest stat is health at 54. Which means I'd have to train up my level A LOT before being able to increase my strength/defence, right? Not sure how much more I'd need to increase my level. Currently I'm doing my training at the academy because I don't have any codestones stacked up. That's why I thought an armoured negg *might* be a good alternative.

My budget is pathetically low, because I just did a custom for my dream pet. So I'm going to be looking for a bomb that is under 500k, or possibly a lot cheaper. (that's all the np's I have at the moment.) Is there anything else you'd recommend aside from a good bomb?

Thanks so much for your help. :)

Okay. First, you're looking for a bomb? The only bomb (that won't disappear after use) under 500k that's worth considering is Honey Potion. But I think you should focus on getting better constants than getting a better bomb. Bomb's are once-per-battle, while constants are more consistent. So your budget for the whole set upgrade is 500k right? :D

Okay. First, you're looking for a bomb? The only bomb (that won't disappear after use) under 500k that's worth considering is Honey Potion. But I think you should focus on getting better constants than getting a better bomb. Bomb's are once-per-battle, while constants are more consistent. So your budget for the whole set upgrade is 500k right? :D

Yes. Exactly. What would you recommend for a constant? Would a rusty pitchfork be considered a constant or something else? Please excuse my ignorance to this. I really need to do some more research, lol. My budget might allow a bit more once I'm able to scrounge up a few more Np's before the plot starts, but as of right now 500k.

Okay. Rusty Pitchfork is taken as a dual duty, meaning to say it acts as a constant and as a shield (partly).

But personally, I think that 500k wouldn't get a lot of really nice constants. Go for Scroll of Knowledge x2. It's currently 50k and rising though :/

If you'd like, get something like this:

Prickly Potion

Prickly Potion

Scroll of Knowledge/ Rusty Pitchfork

Scroll of Knowledge

Randomly Firing Freeze Ray

Leaf Shield

Green Scorchstone

Downsize!

Not sure if it's in your budget, but it might work well in a plot :)

Thank you so much for your help. It's really appreciated. I will be using the scroll of knowledge/rusty pitchfork, green scorchstone, downsize!, leafshield, and instead of the prickly potion I'm going to attempt to snag up a voidberry potion since they are almost similiar and a bit cheaper. I'll also be using some brain muffins when I can and hopefully I'll be able to get a few faerie abilities. I'll see how that goes. :medieval:

:) thanks again!

If you want to train at the training school, yes, you have to increase your level. However, I disagree that you have to train up your level "a lot." You only need to get to Level 27 to be able to train. That's not too bad. Getting up to that level will cost you about 24 codestones. If codestones are going for 10k (which right now is high, but it looks like many are under that), This will cost you less than 240,000 before you can train with codestones. However, many Neggs are going to run way more than that. Armoured Neggs will help your defense for around 40k, but to raise your strength with an Altador Strength Potion for example will cost you close to 400k for 5 strength points. If you stick with Neggs, a Power Negg is the best strength increaser, and it's unbuyable with no price listed. Our Battlepedia says it's worth between 160k and 240k. And to raise your endurance 1 point, you could use a Faerie Queen Negg, which will cost you around 120k.

In my opinion, you're much better off to put in the 240k investment and train for closer to 20k per stat instead of over 100k per stat.

Negg training makes more sense for people like me. I have a pet who has over 800 HP and has a level around 135. It would be such a big investment and then each stat would still cost me so much that Negg training is best. For you, however, you're better off just putting in the investment and then you can train whatever you want for few neopoints.

Also, when I was researching this, I couldn't find any place on Neopets that restricted training at the Swashbuckling Academy based on level. You might want to try training there to see if you can train despite your level.

Thank you so much for your help. It's really appreciated. I will be using the scroll of knowledge/rusty pitchfork, green scorchstone, downsize!, leafshield, and instead of the prickly potion I'm going to attempt to snag up a voidberry potion since they are almost similiar and a bit cheaper. I'll also be using some brain muffins when I can and hopefully I'll be able to get a few faerie abilities. I'll see how that goes. :medieval:

:) thanks again!

FYI, faerie abilities aren't working right now, so don't waste your Neopoints on buying bottled faeries or anything. I'm not sure when they're coming back, but I'm anticipating that they'll look completely different.

Overall, though, that sounds like a good set for you. You got some good advice! Since you only listed six items to fill up slots, you could pick up a few more weapons if you have the NP to help you out. You might want to consider something like Thick Smoke Bomb or Lucky Robots Foot. They are each one-use, but they can be very useful in a pinch!

Have you checked out TDN's Battlepedia? I use it sometimes. I would recommend looking at the Highest Rated Weapons and just looking through until you see stuff in your price range. The top one that would be good for you is Scroll of Knowledge. It's definitely a decent constant weapon, as others have said, but buy one now if you are going to because the price is rising!

I just sold a few a couple weeks ago or so -.- Bad timing, methinks. I have no idea how I got them, though, so hey, it was free np for me.

Just fyi, the war is on the horizon, but we still need Aethia's Ability Academy and stances to be re-introduced before a war can be announced. I wouldn't be surprised if comics started coming out soon, but I'm sure you'll still have time to train. If you can, buy a Faerie Quest Fortune Cookie or two. They are very, very worth it. Start training your level. Once you get to level 28, train Strength and Defense to 55 because you hit a new boost at that time (2 damage per icon). After that, SOLELY train HP. You'd have to train 30 Str and/or 30 Def to hit the next boost, and chances are you won't be able to train too much during the war. But if you can only train, say, 15 points during the war, you could train your HP by 15 and that would be useable right away because HP isn't based on boosts. Also, HP can be trained to three times your level, though you can't train your other stats again until your level is half your HP again.

If your friend doesn't let you borrow the Green Scorchstone, get a Greater Healing Scroll (heals 50 HP). Is the pet you're training also painted something fancy?

Just fyi, the war is on the horizon, but we still need Aethia's Ability Academy and stances to be re-introduced before a war can be announced. I wouldn't be surprised if comics started coming out soon, but I'm sure you'll still have time to train. If you can, buy a Faerie Quest Fortune Cookie or two. They are very, very worth it. Start training your level. Once you get to level 28, train Strength and Defense to 55 because you hit a new boost at that time (2 damage per icon). After that, SOLELY train HP. You'd have to train 30 Str and/or 30 Def to hit the next boost, and chances are you won't be able to train too much during the war. But if you can only train, say, 15 points during the war, you could train your HP by 15 and that would be useable right away because HP isn't based on boosts. Also, HP can be trained to three times your level, though you can't train your other stats again until your level is half your HP again.

If your friend doesn't let you borrow the Green Scorchstone, get a Greater Healing Scroll (heals 50 HP). Is the pet you're training also painted something fancy?

Well, currently the pet I'm training is a faerie meerca because I don't have my plushie kacheek yet. The kacheek stats are starter stats, so I will be using the meerca during the plot. :) Thanks everyone for all of your input.

Oh and about the faerie abilities... I was thinking they would be released before the plot? I thought maybe that was what some of the maintence might be for. At least I was hoping so.

Oh and about the faerie abilities... I was thinking they would be released before the plot? I thought maybe that was what some of the maintence might be for. At least I was hoping so.

They might be, but I'm guessing not. I think there isn't time. If anything, they'll be released as part of the plot, I think.

Well, currently the pet I'm training is a faerie meerca because I don't have my plushie kacheek yet. The kacheek stats are starter stats, so I will be using the meerca during the plot. :) Thanks everyone for all of your input.

If you have the NP, train your Kacheek, too. Kacheeks are one of the best battle pets because they have a species exclusive healer called the Kacheek Life Potion (goes by KLP on the boards) that heals 100% HP if you have over 33% of your HP left and 33% of your HP if you have less than 33% of your HP left. It is a very, very good healer and really cheap (it generally costs only 70k more than the Greater Healing Scroll).

And we'd have to have some time to learn the abilities first, most likely. There's a chance the plot could come at any time, but it's more than likely not going to happen right away with the necessary maintenance. Of course, I don't know that for sure, so train at your discretion!

Thanks Jezebel. The original idea I had was to just train my kacheek, as it's ultimatley going to be my BD pet. But I don't get her until Febuary 1st. A lot of people are thinking the plot will be here, within days! So I don't know if I'll have the time to train her. I'll definitley be training her on the side though. If budget allows. :)

Thanks for all your input!

For a small amount of real money, again think about the Faerie Quest Fortune Cookie and the new Training Fortune Cookie. The FQ Fortune Cookie makes sure you get one quest per day, and I'm sort of convinced that the cost of doing quests has gone down with the introduction of the FQFC. I've spent as low as 900 NP for the item for a light quest and no more than 80K for a F Queen quest. This is the third cookie I've used, and It has really upped some stats. I've just gotten a Training Fortune Cookie today, and I'm not nearly as impressed. It reduces the time it takes to complete training, reducing my my 24 hours to 13 some hours and my pirate academy training by 30 percent. Not sure if that is worth it, but it is a thought. Also, if you need to get your level up, don't forget about scratchcards.

Thank you Coltom. Unfortunatley I cannot afford to buy neocash right now or I totally would get a faerie quest cookie. Gah, really makes me wish I had more money. :( I'd be able to train my strength and defense up some at least. Thank you for the scratchcard advice though! I'll definitley start doing those more. :)

Thank you Coltom. Unfortunatley I cannot afford to buy neocash right now or I totally would get a faerie quest cookie. Gah, really makes me wish I had more money. :( I'd be able to train my strength and defense up some at least. Thank you for the scratchcard advice though! I'll definitley start doing those more. :)

I stopped using cookies :P. For each one I had like 3-4 for movement and mainly just Fire after that.

I stopped using cookies :P. For each one I had like 3-4 for movement and mainly just Fire after that.

My last cookie had two dark, one battle, one queen, two light and one earth (strength). Either my luck has been very good, or yours has been very bad.

Actually, I would not mind the movement increase, as I have a ways to go before I could use the thieving robe. While the robe is pretty cheap, the training cost seems insurmountable. Still, now that stealing does not only steal from the first weapon position, than stealing might become much more useful in the battledome. Either the programming gnomes were brilliant or lucky.