Too old...

gulsanga

If it's something you genuinely enjoy, why try and convince yourself to quit just because of your age?! I used to feel a little silly about playing (I'm 21) but then one day I kind of stopped myself and thought... Wait a minute. What is so different between Neopets and.... video games? xbox? Not a whole lot, really. And those are things nearly everyone plays with recretionally. All of my friends know I avidly play and even if they think it is a little childish, I don't mind! My dad is the only one who really rolls his eyes (my mum usually puts an NC mall card or something in my stocking at Christmas)

I'm not sure whether I play the game because I'm single or I'm single because I play this kid game .....

Lol. I'm 28 and I still play. My boyfriend sometimes makes fun of me because of it even if he used to have an account as well. Still, when I customize my pets or change the coding for my lookup, he comments and tells me if it looks good or not. :)

Well I'm 32 and still playing and everyone knows. My two best friends play as well and they are both in their 30's. My boyfriend knows and he doesn't care either. I have xBox and play Assassins Creed( my favorite game) And Bioshock (I've been a Little Sister for Halloween the last two years). I am a gamer and I don't care who knows! lol These games do not effect my life negatively. So why stop? They make me happy and I LOVE the whole world Neopets has created for me to delve into. If the people in your life are truly your friends they won't care what you do as long as you are still living a healthy life in between. My boyfriend even went online and found me a 1920's era gas nozzle so I could make a new Adam Syringe for my Little Sister costume. The original one I made was plastic and was stolen... He is not a gamer AT ALL but accepts me the way I am. :-) Of course there are some people that just roll their eyes when I talk about it but I don't care.

I'm coming up on 11 years on Neo this February. I can't stop now! :laughingsmiley:

I'm also a gamer. All my officemates and my family know that too. I have been since I was 5 years old. Haha. When I was in college, almost all my friends were exclusively guys because they were the only ones I could relate to. I wasn't interested in shopping or soap operas. I played MMORPGs with the guys and watched lots and lots of anime. Even now, I still play Bioware games. RPGs are my favorite.

I really believe that I will still be playing games (Neopets or otherwise) until I'm an old lady. Lol.

Even now, I still play Bioware games. RPGs are my favorite.

I really believe that I will still be playing games (Neopets or otherwise) until I'm an old lady. Lol.

Oh, how cool! Me too. I'm a huge fan of RPG's. Skyrim and Baulders gates are some favorites of mine. I also enjoy the sims on PC occasionally. ^^ Haha.

I also enjoy the sims on PC occasionally. ^^ Haha.

Me too ^.^ I don't play any RPGs (anymore) though. But I hear about them whenever I hang out with my friends. My boy friend frequently says 'at least you don't LARP'

Oh, how cool! Me too. I'm a huge fan of RPG's. Skyrim and Baulders gates are some favorites of mine. I also enjoy the sims on PC occasionally. ^^ Haha.

Haha.. I have Skyrim but I'm still learning it. My head ached with the Call of Duty style of gameplay so had to stop. Currently trying Mass Effect. I already finished the Dragon Age series and waiting for the 3rd installment. Baldur's Gate was also created by Bioware, and is really the best old school RPG there is. And.... yeah, I have The Sims Medieval also currently installed. I was addicted to it for a long time.

Haha.. I have Skyrim but I'm still learning it. My head ached with the Call of Duty style of gameplay so had to stop. Currently trying Mass Effect. I already finished the Dragon Age series and waiting for the 3rd installment. Baldur's Gate was also created by Bioware, and is really the best old school RPG there is. And.... yeah, I have The Sims Medieval also currently installed. I was addicted to it for a long time.

Oh, tell me about it. Call of Duty and the like just aren't my thing. My bf loves army games but luckily he's also a fan of the RPG's so it works out. & Very true... I used to play Baldurs gate one and two all the time when I had a PS2. Although the 2nd one was much better. I've actually never played the Dragon Age series before... perhaps something I should check out.

Ahem, sorry. I don't want to take this board off-topic so I'll stop now. :)

I'll always feel a bit silly playing games that are targeted for a younger audience, but I'm okay with feeling like that actually. I think anyone who has talked to me wouldn't be surprised if I told them I play Neopets, because I can't resist cute things.

Same here. I also used to play Animal Crossing and intend to get a 3DS when it's released for that model, but this isn't something I'd readily tell just anyone :D

I like how this topic comes up from time to time because it always reveals that Neopets is actually a more adult game. I'm 23, I have a degree and I'm starting my career. I also love to make NP (no apologies!!).

I agree with icedragonair, some of the game is likely too complex for kids. When I was younger I played flash games to make NP, which I would then spend impulsively. Then I'd quit because starting over was hard. Now, I make money in bigger ways that require more patience (stocks!) and don't spend impulsively. So my style changed but the game stayed with me--and it seems like that's the case for a lot of us.

Wow I'm loving all the responses to this topic! I also feel sometimes embarrassed if someone finds out I play Neopets. Of course, my boyfriend and a few close friends know I play it, but I know that lots of people think it's a kids game because they used to play when they were 12 years old. I started playing when I was 11, and now that I'm almost 23, I play so many more different aspects of the site (stocks, etc.) than I did back then. I think I enjoy it even more now! I'm trying to change my attitude from embarrassment to this: if someone is going to judge me just because of an online game I play, they weren't ever really worth my time. Besides, I'm into so many other so-called "nerdy" things like Harry Potter, stuffed animals, anime, and so on. I think as older players we just have to accept it for what it is - a fun game we like to play :) Glad to know I'm not alone in my feelings - this is one of the reasons why I love TDN <3

Wow I'm loving all the responses to this topic! I also feel sometimes embarrassed if someone finds out I play Neopets. Of course, my boyfriend and a few close friends know I play it, but I know that lots of people think it's a kids game because they used to play when they were 12 years old. I started playing when I was 11, and now that I'm almost 23, I play so many more different aspects of the site (stocks, etc.) than I did back then. I think I enjoy it even more now! I'm trying to change my attitude from embarrassment to this: if someone is going to judge me just because of an online game I play, they weren't ever really worth my time. Besides, I'm into so many other so-called "nerdy" things like Harry Potter, stuffed animals, anime, and so on. I think as older players we just have to accept it for what it is - a fun game we like to play :) Glad to know I'm not alone in my feelings - this is one of the reasons why I love TDN <3

So funny you mentioned Harry Potter! I have a Gryffindor scarf that I wear all winter and people always ask about it. Even strangers. I'm always like "Yes, it's a Gryffindor scarf. So what?!!" lol I also tried to name my farm Goddrick's Hollow but the boyfriend wasn't having it. lol

I think these games and books keep us all young at heart. I mean, who wouldn't want to go to Hogwarts if it were real? Or own mystical pet? I know I would!

One time(at band camp) I was talking about Neopets and this guy said "Neopets?!" and I said "Yeah" and he said "That's little kid stuff". Later I talked to the school counseler about it and they were all like "Blah, blah, blah Neopets is for younger kids." Then they basically told me to keep Neopets under wraps.

I open about Neopets to very few people. I've actually used the whole "Neopets was designed for college kids" as a comeback.

you should start to quit. that's very unusual. :thumbsdown:

Well, if you read this entire thread you would find it's not unusual at all. :)

Play until you just don't care to anymore. Don't ever quit for any reason other than YOU want to. If you feel like you SHOULD, that's not a good enough reason. :P (Plus, you'll just get pulled back in, sometime in the future. It happens to all of us)

I don't feel slightly embarrassed about playing. Then again, I actually started playing around the age it seems like quite a few players think they should be quitting. I was soon-to-be 17 when I started playing. I was introduced to it by a friend several years older, that was in college. Now, I'm 27, working full time, and married. I wouldn't dream of quitting. I don't hide that I play either. My family knows I play (My sister is 30 and still plays), my in-laws know I play, my co-workers know I play, even my manager knows I play. I've never once received any teasing or jokes made about it.

But even if I did, I'd do what I enjoy. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It's not harmful in any way, so why not do it if I enjoy it?

I am 27 and started playing when I was 13 or 14. I still occasionally return to the site - most often to play Destruct-o-Match.

I actually think that feeling embarrassed about playing Neopets is a sign of immaturity, not playing Neopets. Don't worry - I am sure you will grow up, get over it and just enjoy. ;-)

I am 27 and started playing when I was 13 or 14. I still occasionally return to the site - most often to play Destruct-o-Match.

I actually think that feeling embarrassed about playing Neopets is a sign of immaturity, not playing Neopets. Don't worry - I am sure you will grow up, get over it and just enjoy. ;-)

I don't really think the original poster is immature just because she was questioning playing neopets at her age. It's probably pretty common to feel that way considering that most of us don't have friends who play neopets in real life. It can make you question yourself sometimes. I don't tell anyone aside from my boyfriend. lol. Not that I have many people to tell....

I don't really think the original poster is immature just because she was questioning playing neopets at her age. It's probably pretty common to feel that way considering that most of us don't have friends who play neopets in real life. It can make you question yourself sometimes. I don't tell anyone aside from my boyfriend. lol. Not that I have many people to tell....

I don't have any friends who play Neopets. Not a lot of people my age do, and that's a fact. My friends also often read different books, enjoy different tv shows, have different jobs, do different sports. You are perfectly right: questioning yourself because you don't have the exact same preferences as your peers is very common. It is also rather an adolescent thing to do. That's why I said immature.

Mind you, it wasn't meant as an insult. I am immature in some ways. Most people are. It was meant to be encouraging: worrying about being "too old" for things you love and enjoy... that's something you gradually outgrow. At least I hope that's true for you and the OP as well, otherwise life may get fairly boring ten, fifteen, twenty years from now. ;-)

Yeah I have a couple close friends that know I play neopets (some have gifted me with their rare items) but I don't advertise that I play!

I sometimes feel guilty buying NC at the store but at the same time I take solace in the fact that I'm not the only person in my town running down the supply of NC cards at the shoppers by my house XD

I'm twenty, well in four months I'll be twenty-one and I'm a tad bit shy of telling friends that I play but simply because a lot of mine don't even either a) know what it is, or b) they just don't even remember it and when I would bring it up they would say "that's still in existence?"

So I myself would say you're never too old to play because hey everyone has their own games they like to play (COD,WOW, Resident Evil, Wii Games, etc)... So I don't think it matters.

I quite enjoy neopets and it is my relaxing time that I use to play so it keeps my mind off of stressful stuff like school, so for me even though I'm at the "intended age" I will probably still play it even when I'm older so long as it's around :)

And I'm with Xandria on that, I'm just happy to have neofriends that I feel like I could talk to or communicate with in real life, I mean my whole family plays neopets and we make jokes out in public about neopets related stuff, so it makes it more enjoyable to have someone who you can share that with even if you've never met them in person :)

I'm about to be 22 years old and I don't feel like I'm too old for neopets. Sometimes it seems like there are more 18+ people that are on the site than there are kids!! I don't tell my friends about it either, mostly because it's none of their business what I like to do on my own time anyhow. I think neopets has something for all ages and there is no reason to quit just because you feel like you are "too old" :P

lol I'm 23! :D I've been playing since I was 12 - so yes, I don't intend on quitting anytime soon, I've been on hiatuses before, perhaps you could do that? I opently admit I play it if people see me playing on it. But I don't care. Adults shouldn't be concerned with what others are doing or how others are choosing to pass the time. Nowadays I know a lot of adults who play World Of Warcraft .

We're part of the gaming generation. We grew up on games and continued. It doesn't really bother anyone anymore, it's just a game like everything else!

I'm twenty, well in four months I'll be twenty-one and I'm a tad bit shy of telling friends that I play but simply because a lot of mine don't even either a) know what it is, or b) they just don't even remember it and when I would bring it up they would say "that's still in existence?"

So I myself would say you're never too old to play because hey everyone has their own games they like to play (COD,WOW, Resident Evil, Wii Games, etc)... So I don't think it matters.

I quite enjoy neopets and it is my relaxing time that I use to play so it keeps my mind off of stressful stuff like school, so for me even though I'm at the "intended age" I will probably still play it even when I'm older so long as it's around :)

And I'm with Xandria on that, I'm just happy to have neofriends that I feel like I could talk to or communicate with in real life, I mean my whole family plays neopets and we make jokes out in public about neopets related stuff, so it makes it more enjoyable to have someone who you can share that with even if you've never met them in person :)

LOL Dani! Sorry, I just noticed you did the same thing as me when trying to name things in accordance with A) and B ) Except when you do the B, it makes b) <---- that face. Kinda frustrating when you don't want it to, haha.