nay for people who smell bad, but yay for people who smell good!

emberskiez

I just don't understand how some people can always smell bad, you know? It makes me wonder if they just don't wear deodorant or brush their teeth... or if they just actually smell like that! But my significant other smells really good, so I'm happy about that. I watched a documentary saying you're attracted to people's smells if you're compatible. Anyone else have any good/bad smell stories?

My mom has always had these Christmas/winter sweaters that I've always thought smelled good. When I was a kid, I would take the one from her room and hug it at night like a stuffed animal. I'm pretty sure the rest of my family all thought I was weird.

I remember back in 6th grade I was assigned a seat next to a girl who smelled terrible. Her parents wouldn't get her a deodorant before she started middle school!! Which is ridiculous!! I felt bad for her, but still it was awful sitting next to her. She never showered after PE either... Euw.

Anyway, I love the Sweet & Firty body spray Victoria's Secret has. I have like 5 bottles scattered around the house and in my purse so I'll always smell good! :)

It's always awkward when someone smells awful but seems to be totally oblivious to it. I'm paranoid about smelling bad, whether it's my breath or my armpits or whatever, so I try really hard to smell nice. :P

Some lucky people seem to smell incredible 24/7. I once knew this guy who smelled soooo good, and I told my friends that I would go out with him just because of the way he smelled LOL. Oddly enough, he ended up asking me out and we actually dated for a few months, turns out he had plenty of other good qualities too. ^_^

Hahaha. Yeah, I don't like it either. What's weird is I read after 30 seconds your nose gets used to your smell. Which is why you don't really smell your perfume or cologne after awhile. So I'm assuming it's the same for people who smell bad, they really are just kinda oblivious to it. They also might come from familes who don't put "cleaniness" at the top of there list.

Another thing I can't stand is a dirty house!

Bad smelling people in public... Awful. Just awful. I try to be tolerant, because there probably is a reason why they aren't taking care of themselves, but it's hard. It's a very unpleasant and overly intimate experience with a total stranger. It's like being given an unwelcome hug - you have no choice, but to get away from it as fast as you can.

On the other hand, people who use too much perfume are just as bad. I once had the misfortune of walking behind two elderly ladies who seemed to have emptied the perfume bottle all over themselves. I could hardly breathe. Of course I don't know if they were trying to cover up an even worse stench.

Also, an old school mate once told me about the time he had such bad breath that it almost made him throw up. I thought that was funny :P I mean, it would have to be really bad breath if you couldn't even stand it yourself!

I also try as hard as I can to smell good! And if a boy smells good, that's definitely one of the greatest things!

My mom has this weird ability to smell peoples actual smells. Not like cologne or perfume their personal smell underneath that. So sometimes she really doesn't like a persons smell and just cant stay next to them, but nobody else can smell it so they just kinda look at her weird. :woot:

Personally I dislike the smell of perfume. I like the way people smell when they are clean, and their only smell is their own clean smell with just a little after scent left of whatever soap they used.

Yeah, when I feel like my breath doesn't smell good I try to like hold my breath around some people and drink water or take a mint as soon as I can haha. As to people being oblivious, that is probably the case.. It is just awful being in a crowd sometimes surrounded by multiple people who smell bad in their own ways!

I have a new acquaintance at university this year that I absolutely can't stand being close to because she ALWAYS smells awful! I feel bad for not enjoying her company for such a shallow reason, but it's overwhelmingly bad :sick01: Like others have said, I'm not sure if she just doesn't notice it or if she doesn't bathe/use deodorant or something, but...man. With that being said, I'm always paranoid about smelling nice now in fear of putting people off in that way :P

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh it is bad to be stuck on public transport during peak hours, standing next to someone who smells bad..

But I do love the natural nice smell of my boyfriend, love wearing his hoodie which smells like him to bed :)

Would you guys tell your friend if he/she smells bad? I would say it in a joking manner so it would not make things awkward haha.

And also which is worse, getting stuck in a lift with someone who was overly enthusiastic with her perfume or one with bad body odour?

Okay, so most of you will most likely be grossed out by this, but I'll say it anyway.

I have never used perfume/deodorant. I don't need them, most artificial scents make me nauseous.

I shower roughly once a week and brush my teeth daily.

However, I've never gotten a complaint from anyone telling me I smell bad (though I ask often, just in case they're afraid to tell). I've had a friend who really smelt sour, but that was just puberty. I've seen her quite often of lately and never noticed anything like that. I felt bad for her since she had to try so hard every day by showering, putting on deodorant etc.

I feel like most people are way too 'clean' these days. Masking every natural scent on their body, showering more than once a day... It just makes your body instable and more sensitive to illnesses. Please don't think that people who smell bad don't shower/bathe/use deodorant, they probably smell it too and try absolutely everything to fix it. Also don't try to assume anyone who smells good is showering once a day. That's like trying to guess someone's age when they're wearing a mask.

That's all I wanted to say here, since I felt slightly offended by some posts here (don't worry, I don't take things personal ;)). Hope to have given you some food for thought.