Science Nerds Welcome!

~Xandria

Okay, so I have to admit I am completely addicted to studying space exploration. The possibilities and theories are endless. I've studied it off and on for quite a while now. I hope I can find others on this forum that love it just as much as I do. ^_^ That being said, please feel free to share your own theories, links, articles, etc. Anything goes!

So, l'll start by sharing something I've been looking into for awhile that has been completely mind blowing! The possibilities of this new mission are crazy to say the least.

In April a company called Planetary Resoures INC (backed by the CEO of google and many other famous billionares) announced that it intends to send robots into space to scout asteroids for precious metals and eventually set up mines to extract these metals and bring them back to earth. NEO's or (near earth objects) are believed to contain high levels of iron ore, platinum, nickel and zinc. There are about 9,000 (give or take a little) asteroids that orbit near the earth. Some of these could contain the equivalent amount of platinum that is mined in an entire year on Earth, making each small asteroid potentially worth several billion dollars! :whaa:

The company also intends to mine platinum based metals like palladium, osmium, and iridium. These metals are used in medical devices, renewable energy products and may be used for automotive fuel cells!

Within the next two years PR aims to launch new space telescopes that will make it possible to determine which asteroids are worth mining. The company then hopes to send out space craft within 5-7 years for more detailed prospecting. The details of the last phase of the mission are yet to be released but I think they are looking into making this into a business. (as in sending actual people out to mine the asteroids, instead of robots.) South Africa also has a similiar program that they are looking to launch in the near future. They are expecting the mission to take about a decade give or take. But still, it's so exciting!

I think the most exciting part of it all is that these asteroids can also be mined for water (which can be broken into hydrogen and oxygen), which are the chief components of rocket fuel! Which means in the somewhat forseeable future we could have "in-space" gas stations, making further missions to mars and beyond look more and more promising. The company is saying that this could allow people to actually start living and working in space.

Oh, how I wish I was born yesterday. I keep getting older and missing out on all this awesome future technology!

Anyways; Please let me further state that this topic is not meant to be entirely space-related. Anything goes! Share your articles and opinions on any new developments in chemistry, biology, life-science, zoology, social sciences, and much more I'm sure. :P

Special note - I will be adding to this topic very frequently. I study science on an almost daily basis and I would love someone to share all these new and exciting developments with! If you are interested, please contribute. Thanks guys!

too much to read/10

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please make all posts at least 7 words long. Also, stay on topic and do not post for the sake of posting.

If you find the thread too long, then don't read it. There is no need to comment saying so.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

@Staff, please look into banning the above user. He has stated "too much to read" on many other topics. Why even bother commenting? Not only that, but I find his UN to be a bit inappropriate. Maybe it's just me. :eh:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not backseat mod. Simply report the post and move on. We're guaranteed to see when a post has been reported but requesting action from us in a post will likely go unseen until we get and address a report.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Well, if you did not find it interesting, you shouldn't have bothered commenting. :P

& You are obviously a troll. I really wish you'd just leave my thread alone, k thanks.

...well, I thought it was fine. Sure, it's over a few sentences long, but Qullaso has a few different points. (if you read any of the debate pages on here, many people write more...?)

Anyway, I think the idea is interesting. There is a TED talk that i vaguely remember, now that i think about... I think it's cool that Planetary Resources plans to do this. I'm not sure it's entirely possible or realistic, though - particularly since the U.S. government hasn't been keen on putting money towards space programs like NASA recently. Considering that we're rapidly moving towards carrying capacity, though, and since genetically altered crops probably aren't going to allow the carrying capacity of the earth to stand us humans much longer, space exploration is really a good idea now.

sidenote: but i can't say i'm a nerd. I just like Star Trek, astronomy, and environmental studies. lol ^_^

Thanks so much to the both of you for reassuring me! I was starting to think maybe I have been dragging my posts on too long and boring people to death. :laughingsmiley: @Zelda, the only reason I think it sounds do-able is because of all the millionaires who are putting money into this. Obama (not trying to get political here) has stated his interest in space exploration, education, science, etc. I have a feeling if Romney is elected, these kinds of things won't be possible because of all of the budget cuts he is going to make on things such as this. (Again, debateable). NASA has there 33rd mission planned for the ISS (International space station) set for Novemember 20th. There they will be studying the earths natural disasters from space and trying to find ways to deal with the severe muscle loss in low gravity. (which is another huge obstacle in getting further into space) so, I'm excited for that as well!

@Haliaetus. Thank you hun. I really look forward to your posts! :wub_anim:

@Staff, please look into banning the above user. He has stated "too much to read" on many other topics. Why even bother commenting? Not only that, but I find his UN to be a bit inappropriate. Maybe it's just me. :eh:

Please do not backseat mod. Simply report the post and move on. We're guaranteed to see when a post has been reported but requesting action from us in a post will likely go unseen until we get and address a report.

I had a feeling I was going to get warned for that post. It won't happen again. Guess I was just too easy to get sensitive. Haha. I'm sorry. :3

lgjsdl;fkasdl;fkdsf Ugh. I've done it again and double posted. Don't know where my head is at tonight. Really sorry guys.

omg... who is actually going to read this? this is way too long.

HAhaha I know thats what I said. It is actually an interesting topic but it is said in like 800 words

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts on topic. If you have nothing to add to the topic at hand, please do not post.

Are you serious? Wow. There is no need to be this cruel.

I dont know if is actually beneficial to invest in space mining adventures yet. It is still too expensive but I am sure, like you said, the future will make all of this true.

Are you serious? Wow. There is no need to be this cruel.

That is a troll haha I was being nice (or trying to be)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. These have been removed.

I dont know if is actually beneficial to invest in space mining adventures yet. It is still too damn expensive but I am sure, like you said, the future will make all of this true.

That is a troll haha I was being nice (or trying to be)

I don't think you were being very nice by calling my posts "boring" and telling me how to make effective posts. but okay....

Guys, this has become way off topic. Let's continue the discussion from the original post. If you have nothing to say about the original topic and your posts are only attacks on others or critiquing other's posts, please do not post. This board needs to get back on topic and remain there, please.

=o A similarly long-winded science nerd! :D *high-fives Qullaso*

Unfortunately I'm between classes right now and don't have the time to be as long winded as I usually am (I've hit this forum's maximum post length limit a couple of times ;) ), but here's an article on another random cool science thing you might find interesting:

Self-healing Concrete!

Awesome topic! I'm also a huge science nerd, but I'm more interested in biochemistry. Tiny molecules instead of huge space bodies. :P Space is still incredibly interesting, though!

The bit about mining off asteroids is incredible, and it's great that people are willing to make such a long-term investment. I'm curious about people actually living and working in space (e.g. as miners) - how far have we come in dealing with the deleterious effects that space has on the body? I heard Roberta Bondar (first female Canadian astronaut) speak at a conference this year, and it sounds like going to space is really rough on a number of organ systems.

Your right passiflora. It certainly is the biggest obstacle right now. I think that should be the first order of business and it's what the U.S are trying to find solutions to on the next ISS mission. Hopefully they will have some answers a decade from now. :P

Awesome topic! I'm also a huge science nerd, but I'm more interested in biochemistry. Tiny molecules instead of huge space bodies. :P Space is still incredibly interesting, though!

You may find this bit interesting then - http://abcnews.go.co...=1#.UJL9J2feLMo

Bat Saliva could be used to treat stroke victims. Scientists and Doctors agree that this new drug would be much more beneficial than the old one. Apparently they actually want to call the drug draculen! (or something to that effect) I could be wrong on that last bit though, but I think I read it somewhere.

I love space so much I got my degree in Aerospace Engineering. I am working on rockets right now.

There is a saying that I think really applies to space exploration and it goes something like "Space exploration is where you take billionares and turn them into millionaires". Now don't get me wrong space exploration is necessary but one mission can be expensive and their are serious problems with trying to mine an asteriod. First it isn't an easy task to hit an object that not only is moving with respect to us on earth but it also rotating about itself and since they aren't round like earth it is a feat to be able to land on one. Second, and my biggest problem is it takes a lot of energy and fuel to get there for one but also to generate enough force to get the mined materials back to earth. That means they would either have to get the materials there and either have a device that would turn the raw materials into propellant and such. Not an easy task. Last, if anything goes wrong with these missions it is millions of dollars without anything in return for it.

As far as humans in space that isn't as big of a feat as it seems. If they don't plan on returning to earth the body adjusts to the environment and won't have any problems there. It is when they return to earth that most of the problems arise. Sure you still have to make a shield to block the radiation from solar flares and the like that earths atmosphere protects us from now but that is feasible. You only see the problems from bone loss, muscle loss, and elevated, I want to say sodium levels (don't quote me on that) and then like when you are back on earth and now you have the gravity again.

The best way I know of to reduce the affects that space has on a human would be to induce gravity by rotating the habitat. There really is no other long term solution for long human space flight missions.

Okay I am done now... That is long enough, needless to say I am a nerd.

Oh my gosh guys. I found this article yesterday and I just had to share! 6 adorable cat behaviors with shockingly evil

explanations. (It's also hilariously funny)

http://www.cracked.c...l-explanations/

Let me know if you LOL at the picture with the kitty attacking the vacumm cleaner. :P

I also found it very interesting that cats are in a way "mimicing" snakes when they hiss and pull there ears back.

Oh my gosh guys. I found this article yesterday and I just had to share! 6 adorable cat behaviors with shockingly evil

That was really interesting and funny :D I still love cats, though. Even though when they rub up against you to claim ownership, I still take it as a big furry hug. It still means that you've been accepted into the flock. And if the cat becomes too full of itself, I can always poop in its litter box. AND NOT COVER IT UP!

Let me know if you LOL at the picture with the kitty attacking the vacumm cleaner. :P

I also found it very interesting that cats are in a way "mimicing" snakes when they hiss and pull there ears back.

Funny pictures for sure, but I'm creeped out by two: Pooping to show insult and bringing dead animals ome to dhow you suck at hunting.

"Using their expertise in Soviet-style subliminal advertising"

LOL. I still like cats, but they are douchebags, hahaha.

I am very, very interested in science, but unfortunately I never really got to study it that much in school. (True story: in high school, my principal prevented me from taking required science classes early on, so I wasn't able to take anything past the requirements, and therefore couldn't get into a science program in college. GRAAAH.) So I'm going to follow this thread quite closely.

Qullaso, I'm very glad that you posted details, because quick overviews don't really give you the SCIENCE parts.

Regarding space exploration: I'm more into the stuff on earth because I have felt like going into space can be a huge waste in resources. I love science for the sake of science, but when we don't have spare money/resources, things that don't have a further purpose beyond "THIS IS SO COOL!" aren't appropriate for the time. That is why I really liked the bit you posted in the first one: it's telling me the purpose. It is definitely worth pursuing.

Also, I'm bitter because I can't be an astronaut. Bahahaha.

ROTFL that vacuum cleaner picture seriously was too cute! i've never really thought of cats as anything other than little arrogant snots, though, so I still like them. lol. I'd never heard about the snake-mimicking thing, but it makes sense, so for now I'll believe it. ^_^ The article was obviously written by someone who doesn't know dogs well (or was just being saracastic...again) - since dogs have the same variety in tones as cats do. But that site is hilarious! I just spent a whole hour reading other things on there! :P

Also, someone left a comment I find worth repeating: "Cats can be jerks, but at the end of the day they're still nicer than humans. : )" -Poet-C

So true.

Anyway, on the subject of cats, I found this on Howstuffworks.com - it's about purring:

"Three sounds are unique to cats. The chortle, a happy greeting sound, sounds a lot like a quick, high-pitched chuckle. There's also that strange chirping or chattering noise cats make that's usually reserved for when they see birds outside the window. This is the elusive wacka-wacka, a term coined by famed cat cartoonist B. Kliban. Finally, the purr is, of course, the most sublime of all feline sounds. It's also one of the most hotly debated.

"While a supremely contented cat will purr loudly, so will an extremely nervous or stressed one. This leads some researchers to think cats do it to reassure themselves. It's not even completely clear how cats purr. Most of the wild members of the cat family purr, but the household variety of cat is about the only one that can make the sound on both the exhale and the inhale."

Has anyone else noticed their cats purred when stressed out? I always thought it was kind of odd... I also think it's really interesting how housecats in particular can purr both ways (inhaling and exhaling) while most other cats purr one way or not at all. And, although many books I've read on tigers says that the four "big cats" don't purr at all, apparently it's debatable. this video's interesting XD

http://www.youtube.c...bed/eHZJrx7RZ2w

and obviously I like cats... I know a bit more about them than space, admittedly. Hopefully this is interesting to you guys, too :P