What would you do?

Koralis

Okay so this exact thing just happened to me...

I got a basic golden nerkmid in a RE, which is going on the trading post for around 200K.

I got an offer on it for 195K, but the item in the trade was also a basic golden nerkmid. The EXACT same item, plus 195K. So it's basically like this person just gave me 195K for nothing.

I feel like it was a mistake, they may have accidentally clicked the wrong item - what other reason would they have for offering me that trade? I accepted it, cause that's a huge win for me, but I'm waiting for a neomail from them saying it was a mistake and asking for it back.

I like to hear what you think about such a situation, would you trade it back?

Hmm...well first of all, that's great for you! Sometimes people in Neopia are just incredibly nice and generous, but yeah, it's hard to know whether or not that was a mistake :/

If it were me, I know I would be apprehensively waiting for a neomail begging for the item back as well. If I did get such a message, I would trade it back, but I don't think you're really OBLIGATED to since the person apparently didn't notice in time to correct the mistake if it actually was one. If you wait a couple more days and still don't hear anything from the person, I'd say you're good :)

While it might be nice of you if you did trade them back, you definitely wouldn't have to. They made the mistake, if it was one. You didn't scam them or anything. It's kind of like picking up a pet in the middle of a pound transfer, I feel. Sucks for the person that lost out, but you didn't do anything wrong. I don't know what I would do personally- I think I would like to say that I would keep the item and resell it, but I just don't know!

I'm with dummydumpty. I'd message them first. Legally you're fully entitled to it, but morally it's a little more gray. I personally would feel bad about it for ages if I didn't know for sure. That's just me though. I'd also return a pet if someone was really trying to pound transfer and I took it so I guess I have a more guilty conscience than most XD

That's really hard. You'll either:

- message them asking if they were aware that they had made a mistake in the trade because they would probably be too embarrassed to neomail you first if it was an honest mistake. Logically, they would ask for their Nerkmid back then and you'll be obligated to give it back to them.

OR

- accept the trade, celebrate your success through someone else's misfortune because buying mispriced items through the SW isn't that much different really and most people who buy mispriced items are just happy getting an item for cheap and doesn't really mail the shopkeeper about it.

Obviously it depends on your morals, values and ethics. Personally, I would take the second option unless the person neomails me first because I want to avoid getting in an awkward situation and embarrass them :/

I would message them and ask whether it was a mistake or not and if yes, then I would just send it back. I am not one to care that much for profit and I really don't like when it's at the expense of someone else (I don't RS or snipe either). If you were in their shoes and it was a mistake, just imagine the feeling and then the gratitude when you get it returned :)

Depending on my mood, I'd definitely neomail them to clear up the situation. Otherwise, my guilty conscience would keep lingering in the back of my mind.

I say depending on my mood because if I was in one of my "I hate everything and everyone"-moods, I'd probably just accept the trade and enjoy my win :P

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I guess I'm just over-cautious cause I don't want to unknowingly do anything that could get my account frozen. I never received a neomail from them, so I kept it and put it back in the trading post :)

Congratz. I would personally keep it. I mean if you gave it it would be less profits. And then you would have like many people begging for items. News spreads....

Did you ever get a mail from the other user?

I'd probably keep it if that happened to me. I'd feel compelled to send a neomail like "... did you mean to do that?" out of guilt but I'd try my best to stop myself since I'm Neo-poor xD

Huh that is a different situation. I would honestly probably trade back if they neomailed me saying it was a mistake. I would feel bad if I didn't. If I made some sort of mistake like that I would hope the person would understand so I think I'd be understanding. But hey if you don't want to, that's fine too. It's not against the rules. :)

Huh that is a different situation. I would honestly probably trade back if they neomailed me saying it was a mistake. I would feel bad if I didn't. If I made some sort of mistake like that I would hope the person would understand so I think I'd be understanding. But hey if you don't want to, that's fine too. It's not against the rules. :)

Wow. I honestly wouldn't do a single thing about it. I am being honest, like Artios said, it your gain. But I would feel guilt when my brother would be taunting me.

• 1 month later...

I would neomail them. :)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Zombiiesque) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.