More Of My Ranting!

Haliaetus

So last week I had left my laptop with somebody to be fixed because I had somehow managed to get a bunch of malware on it. When I got it back, it was working great. I was really happy because they had been able to keep all of my files, bookmarks, pictures, etc. They had removed all the security stuff I had on it and replaced it with some other programs, which I was fine with because I just wanted my laptop to be working and not run into any more issues with it. Well. This morning I'm roaming Neopets, and I kept getting these weird ads in new tabs which I would immediately close out of. Then when I tried doing a couple Google searches, whenever I clicked on a result it would bring me to another weird site and not any of my result pages. And then, all of a sudden, the new security program that was installed on my laptop popped up saying I had several viruses, a couple trojans, malware, and adware. I was so angry to see this because this is even more than what was originally on my laptop and causing me problems in the first place. It then gave me the option to clean my laptop and remove all of the viruses and what not, so I clicked the button to remove them and then it said I had to buy the full version of the program. So apparently whatever was put on my laptop isn't even anything that can help me. I'm so furious right now. I don't know what to do. I feel like I should just go buy a new laptop and start off fresh, but that requires a lot of money that I need for other things right now. I'm so annoyed, and I just needed to rant somewhere for a minute. -_-

Sounds like a virus/scareware. One of my computers got this virus called Antivirus System Pro which posed as an antivirus and claimed your computer and a zilion viruses (that didn't exist on my computer). Can you see what the name of your AntiVirus is?

Ugh, I'm sorry this is happening! There are some good free anti virius programs on the internet, that you may want to download and try (I don't know if you have already, but...). Two that I know of are Avast! and AVG.

The program that was put on your computer definitely doesn't seem to be doing much, so getting something else that may be able to get rid of some of the viriuses may help.

Sounds like a virus/scareware. One of my computers got this virus called Antivirus System Pro which posed as an antivirus and claimed your computer and a zilion viruses (that didn't exist on my computer). Can you see what the name of your AntiVirus is?

I'm using a different computer right now because I'm afraid to use mine again, ha. But if I recall correctly, I think it was called something along the lines of Security Shield.

Don't download those "protection" programs, they themselve could be viriuses or scamming for your money.

Yeah, I never do. This one was telling me I needed to pay a bunch of money to get the viruses removed, so I just quit out of it and shut my laptop off.

Ugh, I'm sorry this is happening! There are some good free anti virius programs on the internet, that you may want to download and try (I don't know if you have already, but...). Two that I know of are Avast! and AVG.

The program that was put on your computer definitely doesn't seem to be doing much, so getting something else that may be able to get rid of some of the viriuses may help.

I used to have Avast!, but someone replaced it with some other program, and then that got replaced with whatever is on my computer now. I'm afraid to turn my computer back on and attempt to download some other anti-virus thing though, because my internet browsers are acting so weird. :/

I'm using a different computer right now because I'm afraid to use mine again, ha. But if I recall correctly, I think it was called something along the lines of Security Shield.

Yeah, I never do. This one was telling me I needed to pay a bunch of money to get the viruses removed, so I just quit out of it and shut my laptop off.

I used to have Avast!, but someone replaced it with some other program, and then that got replaced with whatever is on my computer now. I'm afraid to turn my computer back on and attempt to download some other anti-virus thing though, because my internet browsers are acting so weird. :/

Do you have a USB drive? You might be able to download the program onto the computer you're on now, and copy the folder onto the drive, and install it on your computer that way- you won't have to go back onto the internet until it's been installed and has done a virius check.

Do you have a USB drive? You might be able to download the program onto the computer you're on now, and copy the folder onto the drive, and install it on your computer that way- you won't have to go back onto the internet until it's been installed and has done a virius check.

I do. That's a good idea. I didn't even think of that. I'll have to give that a shot and see if I can get my computer to let me back in. When this happened last week I couldn't even get Windows to work after I shut it off so I wasn't even able to log back in, but I was afraid to let it sit on because I feel like that would have been much worse.

I do. That's a good idea. I didn't even think of that. I'll have to give that a shot and see if I can get my computer to let me back in. When this happened last week I couldn't even get Windows to work after I shut it off so I wasn't even able to log back in, but I was afraid to let it sit on because I feel like that would have been much worse.

I will cross my fingers for you! Viriuses are no fun at all. :(

Similar happened to my old laptop, I went to two different guys who charged me tons for it to just break again. In the end I got fed up of it and bought a new laptop. So far so good this ones been ok - touch wood. I hope you figure it out. Viruses etc are such a pain.

Aww that does stink. I hope you're able to get it fixed. . . for good this time. That's why I'm so glad my school has made me get a mac. I rarely have to worry about viruses. What browser do you use by the way? I've heard that certain browsers are more likely to get you viruses but that could be a total myth I guess.

Similar happened to my old laptop, I went to two different guys who charged me tons for it to just break again. In the end I got fed up of it and bought a new laptop. So far so good this ones been ok - touch wood. I hope you figure it out. Viruses etc are such a pain.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking about doing, buying a new laptop. It's just so much money that I can't afford to spend right now. However I know I'm gonna need a working laptop come fall when I start my classes, so I haven't decided if I should or should not do that yet.

Aww that does stink. I hope you're able to get it fixed. . . for good this time. That's why I'm so glad my school has made me get a mac. I rarely have to worry about viruses. What browser do you use by the way? I've heard that certain browsers are more likely to get you viruses but that could be a total myth I guess.

Part of me has always wanted a Mac, but I've always used Windows computers, so I don't know how I would adjust to the change. I used to use Chrome, but it always froze up and forced quit on me, so I switched to Firefox.

I felt the same way about macs, then I was forced into getting one. I got used to it pretty quickly and now when I'm on PC's I get confused lol. It does take a bit of getting used to but for the most part it isn't too different. It is much more expensive though but I guess if you're going to have to keep spending money on fixing viruses it could end up being the same price or actually cheaper.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking about doing, buying a new laptop. It's just so much money that I can't afford to spend right now. However I know I'm gonna need a working laptop come fall when I start my classes, so I haven't decided if I should or should not do that yet.

Part of me has always wanted a Mac, but I've always used Windows computers, so I don't know how I would adjust to the change. I used to use Chrome, but it always froze up and forced quit on me, so I switched to Firefox.

I felt the same way about macs, then I was forced into getting one. I got used to it pretty quickly and now when I'm on PC's I get confused lol. It does take a bit of getting used to but for the most part it isn't too different. It is much more expensive though but I guess if you're going to have to keep spending money on fixing viruses it could end up being the same price or actually cheaper.

Also, when you consider all the programming that comes standard on a Mac, they are actually cheaper than Windows computers, since you have to buy all programming seperately. Also, to buy the latest Mac OS, you generally pay about $30, while to buy the latest Windows OS, you would have to pay about $200.

I'm a Windows user, mainly because it's what I've always used, and because my laptop only cost $600, but when this one dies, I'm going for a Mac. I figure that having a computer that is actually made well, and is protected against viriuses better is worth the money.

And yes, from what I've heard, Macs are less prone to viriuses. Windows puts a bunch of programming in the 'kernel' of the computer, right in the heart of it-- including Internet Explorer. So there is a really terrible browser that is connected right into the heart of the computer, which makes it easier for viriuses to get in. Macs don't do this, and they have better built in protections against viriuses.

If you have the money to spare, I would recommend a Mac. They are expensive upfront, but you're paying for something that is better quality, has better technology, has new innovations, etc.

That does sound like a virus acting as a virusscanner. I've had the same thing on my computer once. Make sure to shut down your internet connection when you run a scan and you will probably have to go in safe mode to get everything off.

AVG is good, but I personally don't like it. It seems really heavy on my computer... I haven't used Avast! but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

My recommendation is Avira. It runs pretty light but still does a good job cleaning. Only annoying thing about it is that it will give you a pop up once a day asking you to buy something like business cards but you just x out of it. Also, get Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, and run those after your virusscanner. Always run one program at a time because they may "collide" and one may think the other is a virus and vice versa. The combination of these programs should take the security shield virus off your pc. Hope that helps!

And yes, from what I've heard, Macs are less prone to viriuses. Windows puts a bunch of programming in the 'kernel' of the computer, right in the heart of it-- including Internet Explorer. So there is a really terrible browser that is connected right into the heart of the computer, which makes it easier for viriuses to get in. Macs don't do this, and they have better built in protections against viriuses.

I am not a mac gal, but I do know that it is NOT TRUE that macs are less prone to viruses. Years ago I would have agreed with you, but only because apple wasn't really big back then and it wasn't worth the hassle for the people that create worms and viruses to create one for apples. Now everybody has IPhones and Ipads, so now it is a lot more interesting for them all of a sudden.

So, I am not saying that mac is not good; I really don't know anything about their quality. All I am saying is that you shouldn't decide based on the fact that they "don't get as much viruses" because that isn't true anymore. :)

That does sound like a virus acting as a virusscanner. I've had the same thing on my computer once. Make sure to shut down your internet connection when you run a scan and you will probably have to go in safe mode to get everything off.

AVG is good, but I personally don't like it. It seems really heavy on my computer... I haven't used Avast! but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

My recommendation is Avira. It runs pretty light but still does a good job cleaning. Only annoying thing about it is that it will give you a pop up once a day asking you to buy something like business cards but you just x out of it. Also, get Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, and run those after your virusscanner. Always run one program at a time because they may "collide" and one may think the other is a virus and vice versa. The combination of these programs should take the security shield virus off your pc. Hope that helps!

I am not a mac gal, but I do know that it is NOT TRUE that macs are less prone to viruses. Years ago I would have agreed with you, but only because apple wasn't really big back then and it wasn't worth the hassle for the people that create worms and viruses to create one for apples. Now everybody has IPhones and Ipads, so now it is a lot more interesting for them all of a sudden.

So, I am not saying that mac is not good; I really don't know anything about their quality. All I am saying is that you shouldn't decide based on the fact that they "don't get as much viruses" because that isn't true anymore. :)

:O Oh, apparently my information is out of date then, haha. Ah well.

Also, when you consider all the programming that comes standard on a Mac, they are actually cheaper than Windows computers, since you have to buy all programming seperately. Also, to buy the latest Mac OS, you generally pay about $30, while to buy the latest Windows OS, you would have to pay about $200.

I'm a Windows user, mainly because it's what I've always used, and because my laptop only cost $600, but when this one dies, I'm going for a Mac. I figure that having a computer that is actually made well, and is protected against viriuses better is worth the money.

If you have the money to spare, I would recommend a Mac. They are expensive upfront, but you're paying for something that is better quality, has better technology, has new innovations, etc.

Ah, who knows. :P I'll keep all of your advice in mind though. I never thought to disconnect my Internet when running scans. And I'll take a look at some Macs and see if I can manage to fit any of them into my budget, maybe save up some money from each of my upcoming paychecks and then buy one or something.

LOL no problem! Actually everybody was saying that until a couple weeks ago. It was on the news that a lot of apples are actually infected with a virus but people didnt know it. I'll have to see if I can find an article about it. Anyway, I really wasn't bashing apple, I know there are a lot of people that swear by it. It's like with everything; every brand has it's ups and downs. Now that apple is so popular there will be people targeting them too. So it really is just taste. I am very happy with my windows PC, and yes, I have had my share of viruses, including the security shield one, but I'm usually quite handy when it comes to cleaning my computer. :) And the combo of those programs will definately clean up most of the crap out there. (and they're all free :D )

Ah, who knows. :P I'll keep all of your advice in mind though. I never thought to disconnect my Internet when running scans. And I'll take a look at some Macs and see if I can manage to fit any of them into my budget, maybe save up some money from each of my upcoming paychecks and then buy one or something.

Try the programs I mentioned first. ;) I think you will be okay after that.

Turning off the internet is because a lot of viruses dont like being deleted and will call for backup :P. Some will also will leave traces after you remove them and those traces might pull other junk off the internet and back on your computer. And if you go in safe mode the virus will have a harder time to run itself and it will be easier to delete.

Seems like you've got some great advice, but I'm sorry you've had to go through this in the first place. My daughter's laptop went through the same thing, only thing was it was fixed like four times - I swear it was haunted. *sigh* She ended up just buying a new one completely. I have Windows and have been using AVG free version for years, I'm sure it's not the best freeware out there but I can tell you it does work well.

Try the programs I mentioned first. ;) I think you will be okay after that.

Turning off the internet is because a lot of viruses dont like being deleted and will call for backup :P. Some will also will leave traces after you remove them and those traces might pull other junk off the internet and back on your computer. And if you go in safe mode the virus will have a harder time to run itself and it will be easier to delete.

Makes sense. I'm going to give it a shot later tonight when I'm home for the night.

Seems like you've got some great advice, but I'm sorry you've had to go through this in the first place. My daughter's laptop went through the same thing, only thing was it was fixed like four times - I swear it was haunted. *sigh* She ended up just buying a new one completely. I have Windows and have been using AVG free version for years, I'm sure it's not the best freeware out there but I can tell you it does work well.

Oh wow, I can't imagine going through that four times was fun. I'm thinking that if what Jacky suggested doesn't work for me, I may just have to buy a new one. The only thing I'll have to decide between is getting another Windows or getting a Mac for the first time.