How do I stop my computer from updating?

Every once in a while at 3 in the morning my computer decides it wants to restart and update my computer, but I always have something going on when it wants to do that! And, get this, it erases all my sessions I have running, leading me to have to go after them all over again!

Luckily if I have GIMP or WordPad running I save everything before putting it to sleep for the night, but..still, I want my sessions in Chrome back, I was drawing and I needed my references.

Is there a way to stop my computer from updating like this? I'm tired of this happening and I want to tell it to STOP. No, I want to MAKE it stop!

Assuming you're on Windows, in your control panel there will be a setting for Windows Update (in Windows 7, it's under system & security). You'll be able to turn automatic updating off there.

yah I'm pretty sure there is something like that in control panel good luck :)

Depending on what browsers you're using you can always go into its settings and set your browser to open all tabs and windows that were open before the program closed.

I highly recommend NOT shutting your updates off. You need these to stay protected and also to get important upgrades from Microsoft. If you do not update your computer a crash is inevitable and then you are likely to lose everything. As annoying as the updates are there are ways to work around them.

If you need help changing your browser settings let me know and I'll let you know how its done.

I highly recommend NOT shutting your updates off. You need these to stay protected and also to get important upgrades from Microsoft. If you do not update your computer a crash is inevitable and then you are likely to lose everything. As annoying as the updates are there are ways to work around them.

That's a good warning, although I think it's reasonable to do the updates at a time when it is convenient, as opposed to the 3AM schedule from Microsoft. You can set it to download all the updates, then install them when you're not in the middle of working on something.

I agree that the updates are extremely important! If you choose to shut them off make sure you go in and manually install/update regularly, or your computer's security could become compromised. I have them shut off because I run my Habitarium overnight, but I check for new updates manually every few days.

Honestly it's just better to leave them alone so you won't forget about them. You can change the time to be more convenient for you. Other than that I highly recommend leaving them alone.

I want control over my computer so I always choose when I want to download updates.

I don't like it when my computer suddenly starts lagging randomly (because it just started downloading something).

• 1 year later...

You should let it update.
And if it keeps giving that 'restart' pop up do this:
click start,
search cmd.
right click and run as administrator
and then enter this:
net stop "windows update"
hit enter. you're set. no more popups.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not bump old topics that are no longer relevant.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.