The Brackets

:)Doc

I'm sorry to ask this, but I don't think I'm the only who is curious...

What are the brackets even based on? LIke they update them like not even on a cycle, and then they'll show that one team moved up- but how?

I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, but that's the best way I can phrase it. :rolleyes_anim:

Thanks! :)

I wish TNT would explain how they weight everything so people know why their team is standing in a certain place. :/

I agree.. although for some reason, I believe they are pretty accurate. Shenkuu, unfortunately, has done the worst in our bracket so far, and is in last place.. so maybe.. but TNT really does need to clear that up :/

It seems to be most accurate for the best and the worst- Kreludor is at the top of our bracket (7 wins, 1 draw), and Altador is at the bottom (0 wins).

The teams in the middle seem to be the most muddled. :/

The concept seems fairly simple to me. It's based on either total or proportional score by that team, not wins. If the 5th place team beats the 6th place team that doesn't really warrant putting them above the 3rd or 4th place teams so they stay near the bottom, regardless of that win.

I'm sorry to ask this, but I don't think I'm the only who is curious...

What are the brackets even based on? LIke they update them like not even on a cycle, and then they'll show that one team moved up- but how?

I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, but that's the best way I can phrase it. :rolleyes_anim:

Thanks! :)

Wait, what is the question here? Is the question what determines the composition of the brackets, like why are these 6 teams in this bracket and these other 6 teams in this other bracket? (I have no idea what the answer is to this, but I am curious)

Or is the question about the ranking that you see when you click on "show all brackets" on the Altador cup homepage? (i.e. Moltara is now 5th in the Vaeolus bracket).

I think the answer to the latter question is that the rankings as they are now are kind of in flux and are more approximations? At least that's how I interpret the "Results pending" statement that appears above the brackets.

"The brackets for Round One of this year's tourney are out and play is underway. In the Alabriss bracket, the frontrunners seem to be Kreludor, Meridell, and Tyrannia, who finished 3rd, 5th, and 6th last year. "

From The AC Main page.

And since KL is third on our bracket, it's either KL is just so unpopular that it was intentional or the brackets are inaccurate to begin with. For me it's kind of both. So I won't rely on the bracket until maybe the 2nd or 3rd round when the dust is starting to settle.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. These have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

The best we can figure is that they compare overall games against each other, not just how many W/L/Ds they've had. So, if on day 1, team X beat team Y 1 million to 750,000 and team A drew with team B at 1.5 million, team A and B would be above team X because, overall, they had more wins that the players put in.

We aren't 100% sure on that one though, obviously.

Wait, what is the question here? Is the question what determines the composition of the brackets, like why are these 6 teams in this bracket and these other 6 teams in this other bracket? (I have no idea what the answer is to this, but I am curious)

The answer to this is located in the first AC news post:

"At the start of Round One, teams will randomly go in one of three divisions, and at round's end they'll get points based on how they did against their division."

As for how the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th bracket line-ups will be decided... that's something I'd like to know. The whole thing could still be random for all we know (with checks in place to make sure each team faces each other at least once of course).

I'm wondering too...my team is doing pretty terribly so far and we've never gone below 4th. Not that I'll complain about that....:P

WAIT I GOT THIS.

Brackets1.png

Okay I kinda got this. I still haven't figured out how to make this look flow-y like real brackets but here's a little bit of it. The lighter boxes are games with YYB draws, where the win went to the team with more side games. BUT! Even though it looks choppy, I want to point out the color coding. That's right, those are the repeat plays. The brackets are set up to make sure that only one group is re-playing each other and are always set up to be three days apart. LIKE MAGIC.

I might be able to analyze this more later, I have to actually go send some scores for my team. (:

Now that I've thought about this a little more, it's practically impossible to have brackets set up based on wins and losses AND make sure that replay matches are evenly spaced out, and that teams only repeat once in each round. I keep looking at the above image and there's just no pattern. Therefore teams must already be preset to play no matter how much they win or lose, after randomly being placed in bracket slots.

I might be back later today with an illustration of my thoughts that hopefully works.

hmm,could be for the standings,in our bracket,Virtupets is in 5th.... :sad02: