Coding

bluewisp16

I've looked at many coding guides to try and figure out what I'm doing wrong, but it's not working. I have coded in the past in places such as notepad, but the coding on neopets is different. I don't understand how to format it around the information neopets already supplies (i.e. your account info and stats). Can anybody just briefly explain how it works, not necessarily the specifics. I feel like maybe if I just wrap my head around the general idea, it might help. Basically, when you first get started creating a userlookup, do you start from scratch and put in pieces of information at a time? I'm so frustrated!

It depends what you're trying to do. If you're just changing colours/fonts, you just need a few lines. However, if you're changing the positions of modules, doing custom menus, etc, it becomes necessary to take as much info out as you can and re-add it later to fit your design. One of our staffers, Izzy, has a great easy-to-follow tutorial on creating lookups here. It was her instructions I followed when creating my user-lookup, just tweaking some of the stuff to my own personal preference.

Psst mods, not sure if this goes here or in the Graphics thread :S

I would suggest getting hold of a premade User Lookup and then following the coding in there to make your own codes.

This can be classified as stealing coding. Make sure you have the users permission first before doing so.

Like Emily said, Izzy has a wonderful tutorial and it's where I started to learn coding and have since then developed my User Lookup. It's not quite finished yet, I mainly have to fix the graphics but Izzy's tutorial is a wonderful start.

Thanks so much for the links to guides.!The first one walked me step by step on how to make a pet look up, although I'm not completely satisfied with it, I definitely understand how it works more. Now I just need to find some time to play around with it. :)