I will quit Neopets if they EVER do somehting like this again!

I do think that TNT is treading a fine line, and so I understand the overall sentiment expressed here, but I actually don't think the Games Cookie is as bad as people are saying.

I am actually a fan of Neocash and I think TNT would be stupid to not think of ways to maximize the profit of the site. At the risk of getting flamed (although I haven't seen any of that yet on these boards, Neopians are so nice!), I will say that I did buy a couple and I would estimate that I made about 50k extra on each. That being said, I spent hours upon hours playing games that I never would have otherwise. The amount of extra time I had to spend to have those benefits was significant (I would estimate I played for 6-9 hrs each time more than I would have normally) and in my opinion that is enough of a barrier to keep this from going over the line of acceptability. If there were a way to buy nps in a way that did not represent a time commitment (which I think is the key), that would be unacceptable but as it stands I think the Games Cookie is (however slightly) on the right side of the line. Another thing that helps it for me is that it is only a temporary offering... it would be more disturbing to me if these were available all the time.

To me, the main thing is the quality of gameplay. I don't think the Games Cookie represents a departure from providing quality gameplay, therefore I am not opposed.

They could always use the excuse that it's the parent's responsibility to ad-blockers to prevent this sort of thing.

I don't see how they could filter it, but I'm not saying that it's not possible.

True, I was just thinking that maybe, since they already have everyone's ages, they could direct the ads towards certain age demographics, kind of like facebook does.

True, I was just thinking that maybe, since they already have everyone's ages, they could direct the ads towards certain age demographics, kind of like facebook does.

I have always assumed that they do this based on the ads that show up for me (I'm 24 and get mostly ads where adults would be the intended demographic except for before flash games). I tend to assume that all websites do this, I don't think the technology to do so is that hard, I think you can just do it through Google or something...

And now they released ANOTHER cookie. I hope this trash is not going to be pernament and will finally stop. How could they do this!? Well, looks like you won't be seeing me on Neo for a while.

They restock every so often. :) Don't worry about it.

Meh. I was miffed about the game cookie, but I no longer care. This seems to be the direction the Internet in general is headed anyway.

I have always assumed that they do this based on the ads that show up for me (I'm 24 and get mostly ads where adults would be the intended demographic except for before flash games). I tend to assume that all websites do this, I don't think the technology to do so is that hard, I think you can just do it through Google or something...

i assumed that too, until i set up an account for a cousin (under 13) still get the same ads. think its through a generic company. really weird to get adverts for a dating website and credit card on a 11 year olds account.

i don't know if they actually make much money with banner ads, since most people are desensitised to them (everywhere on the net) and i thought the site only gets money if someone clicks on them.

i think the new cookies are pretty (wants one for gallery) but unless you get a FFQ out of it, i'm not going to open one.

also will be interesting if the lab cookies have "retired" its not on the menu at Noda's anymore, but is still viewable in the rest of the NC mall (but also sold out)

The new cookie is the worst one. Well... all the cookies, except for the starry night one are awful. NC now is not only for dressing up our pets and it's influencing all the gameplay... I mean, the ones who pay will obviously make more NP's and will have a bigger chance to have better pets (by lab, quests of FFQ). This is so sad :( They are completely destroying Neopets.

I agree that the new cookies are pretty, even though they are evil. Goes to show you that sometimes the most beautiful things out there are truly disgusting to the core.

I remember back in the old days before Neo was acquired by Viacom... Then the sad days began. The introduction of NC Mall, etc, etc. I have taken several hiatuses, and I am always sadly disappointed when I come back to see new ways that Neo is trying to make money. I think that I will keep on playing for a while, still, but it is very disappointing.