What phone should I get?

linsta

So I know the whole smartphone debate has been talked about way more than enough already, and there's no real answer... but I'm having a lot of trouble picking what phone to get.

I've NEVER had a smartphone before, so I'm kind of excited. My dad called today and told me I should get one.

Anyways... I'm not sure which one to get. I guess they're all good for different reasons, but I've never used a smartphone so I'm not entirely sure who I will want out of it.

Right now, I just want a smartphone so I can check email/look stuff up on google and have a map so I don't get lost when I forget to write down addresses (happens a lot).

I don't really think I'm going to be playing a lot of games on it. I almost never browse facebook, although I probably will more if I get a smartphone.

Also, I'm probably going to get either 500mb or 1GB to start out with. I've heard that iphones take up a lot of data. I'm not going to watch videos or games so I don't think it will be a huge deal...

I'm kind of torn because I LOVE how the iphone looks and the interface. Aesthetics is kind of a big deal to me =/. At the same time I think a blackberry might be more useful?? I have no clue on androids...

Anyways, sorry if this is over-debated. I just want to get an idea of what would suit ME best.

Ohhh tough decision. Been there, been there lol

I know of only two or three people who have a Blackberry that actually like it and swear by them. I've also yet to meet a person who had a Blackberry and had it not fall apart.

Back in 2010, we decided to upgrade our phones because the contracts were up, and we also weren't sure what to pick. We went to Bell and looked at them, and found we liked the iPhones best. I mostly use it to make calls (omg no way), email, day planner, send the occasional tweet and play the odd game when I'm bored at work *cough* But it's still nice to have access to virtually anything right in your pocket.

As long as you use the app for what you want to do (provided there is one) it doesn't eat up your data. An example would be to use the IMDB app instead of going on the internet and viewing the IMDB website.

If you have any friends with an iphone or blackberry, ask to check them out to help decide :D (but TEAM IPHONE!!!!) :shiftyeyes_anim:

I'm kind of leaning towards iphone just because my dad is crazy about them.

My contract expired like probably a year or two ago, but I've avoided getting a new one because my dad has been telling me to sign up for a new plan and to close my old account. He wanted me to sign up under my own name and pay for it myself, but I figured if I just left my plan alone he'd just keep paying for it since he has no intention of changing it himself...

But now he's telling me to get a new phone and that he'll pay for *most* of it =D.

But yeah.. my plan is so outdated. I'm pretty sure I'm paying more for a no-data plan than I would if I got a new plan with data on it. Not to mention my phone is like my dad's old old old old phone or something (I think it's a blackberry curve from way back. I only took it because my other phone which was newer didnt have a keypad).

Most of my friends have iphones too, but one of my coworkers last summer was crazy about blackberry and would talk about it constantly.

Okay the old Iphone vs android debate. I am an android fan all the way. To me it is a question just like mac vs pc. Sure the mac os is pretty but you are paying for it with the ridiculous price for a computer that a pc would cost about half the price. As far as Iphone vs android I can't get over the idea that Iphone is just a brand name. You are paying for that. Most android phones have better components, 4G capabilites, better cameras, voice navigation (google maps), the ability to get more memory (just change the microSD card), and you don't have to pay for every app you ever want. But the Iphone is pretty and apparently doesn't crash as often. I wouldn't overly know i have never had one.

Hmm yeah I really don't know anything about androids. I've seen some that don't seem to work that great but they're probably older ones. What are some good android phones out there? I'm not sure if I will really have to pay more. I think I'm getting a contract so the phone should be free. If not, I think my dad will help me out with it.

I have both a PC (desktop) and a macbook pro. I love them both and use both of them, but desktop and pc are very different things so it's hard to compare for me. I've never had a desktop mac, but I have had other laptops and they were all horrible, so I love my macbook. Then again I only use my macbook for school stuff, and I use my PC for games/browsing.

Anyways..offtopic ^.^

Right now, I just want a smartphone so I can check email/look stuff up on google and have a map so I don't get lost when I forget to write down addresses (happens a lot).

I would say an Iphone. I think they're super super useful. For me, an iphone would allow me to check when the bus is coming (Real time) tell me where I am, where to go, and give me access to the net, as well as FB, and twitter, and Facetime. And what's app. Also, it's relatively easy to carry about. Apps in the appstore also give you the ability to track, note down, measure, and compare stuffs. Plus the fact that you can stick something on that button. :P Iphone all the way! It has a very easy and organized message system, too.

But then, what do I, girl with the S$40 phone which is black and white (no colour) and can't save music or songs, and runs out of battery only every 2 weeks, know?

iphone!!

i would get one but my phone is usually off with no battery. the ipod goes with me everywhere though :P i am a apple freak, a bit disappointed with the 4S looking the same as 4 (hoping for 5 to be awesome)

i own a mac, at one time 7 ipods, and love them and iTunes. all my friends think its so weird i don't have a iphone/ipad :P simply waiting for a better model! (so expensive)

i prefer iphone to android because of the range of apps available, but android also have a good app store which is mostly free, i prefer the apple interface though.

blackberry you have to get the blackberry plans because i believe they use a particular form of email which is text based, the same for webpage browsing, which is much easier on your data allowance compared to apple. Apple can be a bit data heavier, but you can also use wifi to reduce the load :)

remember apple still doesn't support flash, and its still lacking on the iphone/ipad. so some web browsing will be odd. most common sites will have a format that is suitable for it, such as youtube which converted most videos.

if you can go to a store and play with an actual phone i would do that, otherwise ask if your friends have any of the smartphones and play around with theirs and find the interface which suits you :)

psst. Siri is really cool, i play with my friends phone all the time :P

Siri is really cool, i play with my friends phone all the time :P

I've heard terrible things about Siri. My sister says it never works. Or rather, it picks up american, and english, but not SINGAPOREAN accents! :P Sigh.... I know someone once said "siri I'm bleeding really badly can you call me an ambulance" and it's reply was "Okay, I'll call you "An ambulance" from now on, okay?"

Good gosh. :P

Another reason I want a smartphone is so I can talk to my bf. He just moved back to the US so I can't really call or text since it's long distance. I imagine I'll be able to msg him pretty easily with a smart phone though. And I imagine I can get the skype app and call for free too.

I do love how the iphone looks though. I really want this case badly *drools* (yes it's a sad factor in my decision, but isn't the point of an iphone to be fashionable and cool? xD)

20110918125541100.jpg

I don't know what carrier you have, or are looking into. But I personally have T-Mobile now. (I had At&t for about 6 years, then Verizon for 4 years.) I think they have the best plans. On Verizon, we had 2 lines, 1500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited calls to 10 friends and family. That was for non-smart phones. We paid more for that, than we do now. Now we have 2 smartphones with unlimited calls, texts, and data. The data is super fast up to 2 GB, then slows down a little bit after that.

As far as phones, I hear a lot all ways. My sister has been addicted to her Blackberry for 5+ years. I know people that swear by the iPhone. (And I've heard one of them have issues with it crashing a few times.) Personally, all I can say is I have an Android and I absolutely love it. All my co-workers have Androids as well.

My biggest recommendation is to call the carrier and tell them what you plan to use the phone for, what's important to you feature-wise, and they might have recommendations. When I did that, they told me the Android was probably what I'd like the most, as opposed to a iPhone or a Windows based phone.

Well I live in canada the land of HORRIBLE phone plans so..

Right now my plan is way outdated, I get unlimited calls/text to 10 people, 450 minutes, 6pm evening/weekend unlimited, voicemail/etc, only 125 texts...My base plan costs about $45 but it ends up being at least $75 a month, but usually more like $90 because I always end up using some long distance. The voicemail/call display itself is an extra $12, and if I want umlimited texts, that adds another $15.

I think the data plans I was looking at are around $50-55 for a 500MB data plan with 5-10 unlimited family/friends, but of course I'll need to add on voicemail and texting x__x. My dad suggested using some freetext app instead, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. I probably dont need unlimited texting...250 is probably enough and that's only $5 extra.

I'm not sure if 500mb is too little though?

I'd recommend you iPhone. One of my richer friend has it, and she's really happy with it. I'm dying for one, but where am I going to get (at least) 500$ for one (the cheapest one)?

How much do iPhones cost in US/Canada anyway)

I have an Iphone and I personally love it. It's easy to use and convenient. I also don't really know anyone with a blackberry that REALLY likes them, usually I just hear complaints. Plus, when my phone DOES crash, I just turn it off and back on and it's easy. Apps are available for almost anything, and I find that I can get enough free apps. Actually, I've only paid for one app, and it was like 99 cents.

However, I would recommend searching around with regards to contracts and such and seeing where you can get the best deals. Some companies offer deals and you can get the Iphone for cheaper, which would be beneficial. Mine didn't really come with anything special, and I ended up paying like $400 Canadian for it, so if you can find a deal, that'd be great.

I also know people with Androids who really like them, and apparently you can do SO MUCH MORE with them than Iphones, but if you want it for decently basic stuff, with of course the features of the app store, then I think you're fine. However, if you're super into computers and technology and customizing your phone, then I'd probably go for the Android.

Also, I use about 1GB of data a month most, and I use it all the time, so don't worry! :)

I'd recommend you iPhone. One of my richer friend has it, and she's really happy with it. I'm dying for one, but where am I going to get (at least) 500$ for one (the cheapest one)?

How much do iPhones cost in US/Canada anyway)

Base price for an iphone 4 is $550 I think, for the 4S it ranges from $650-850 (from 16gb-64gb). Most phone companies make you sign a 3 year contract and the phones cost $0 for iphone 4, and $160-370 for the 4S.

Pretty much everyone here has an iphone though =/

I will need to look into androids. They sound interesting but I feel in the dark right now.

Also, I am going to try to convince my friend's husband to help me go out and get a phone since he used to be a sales manager and acts like a real jerk to people when we go out since he expects the same crap that he used to get xD.

I'm a new time Smartphone user, too! I recently got Samsung Smartphone Galaxy S II. I actually got it for free on labour day at Best Buy in Canada for signing up with evil Bell. My special plan is $60 per month, 10 "Fab Ten" contacts (who I could message, call and stuff unlimited), 32 GB, and I love it!!! Oh, unlimited text and Photo uploading bundle, as well as 6 PM evenings and weekeneds. I highly recommend an Android. It's a great phone, and it's Google run. *You have to have a Google account or make one to use it*. I trust and like Google, and it syncs easily to Google maps for easy nagivation. It's also got a pretty slick design, great tools to organize it, and despite not having as many Applications like iPhone(there's still sooo many), a lot of detail. The screen is bigger than the iPhone too, so if you're a reader, that's a huge plus. My Mom loves the screen, she's got an iPhone 4. Plus, Sumsung phones have ALWAYS been well built. Well, to my anyway. I trust Sumsung a lot. I do use Facebook, and it does make it easier to sync with Facebook. It's also A LOT faster than it's older version, Samsung Smartphone Galaxy S. So if you're a Google user, I recommend it. Plus, if you want it to look like an iPhone, there's actually an application you can get for free which tweeks it. ^^

Most of my friends have iPhones, too. Including my parents. But the Android one looks great, too, and takes good photos+good videos. (iPhone takes them with better quality but it's not a big issue).

Since you are from Canada like me, have a look into the Bell plans or Virgin. :) I've actually been decently pleased with Bell's service so far. :)

http://www.samsung.c.../galaxys2/html/

If you go onto BestBuy, there are some good reviews for the phone I have:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/android-phones/pc_android.aspx?CMP=KNC-Google_mobile

And here are some it's features:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/miscellaneous-bell-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-4g-smartphone-white-3-year-agreement-n-a/10181657.aspx?path=2bdded3b8fa6cce04f3553e792bb3b88en02

Also, I think phones sell for pretty much the same price they do in the States --

If I do get a contract, I probably will want to get an expensive phone just because I can xD. Or are you talking about the LG optimus 3D? I can get that one for free... but I'm really skeptical on 3D phones.

The samsung galaxy looks pretty nice though, and it's about the same price as the Iphone 4S 16gb.

White phones are pretty ^.^;;

I'm kind of leaning toward iphone right now, but I'm debating whether to get a 4 or 4S

I'm a new time Smartphone user, too! I recently got Samsung Smartphone Galaxy S II. I actually got it for free on labour day at Best Buy in Canada for signing up with evil Bell. My special plan is $60 per month, 10 "Fab Ten" contacts (who I could message, call and stuff unlimited), 32 GB, and I love it!!! I highly recommend it. It's a great phone, and it's Google run. *You have to have a Google account or make one to use it*. I trust and like Google, and it syncs easily to Google maps for easy nagivation. It's also got a pretty slick design, great tools to organize it, and despite not having as many Applications like iPhone(there's still sooo many), a lot of detail. The screen is bigger than the iPhone too, so if you're a reader, that's a huge plus. My Mom loves the screen, she's got an iPhone 4. Plus, Sumsung phones have ALWAYS been well built. Well, to my anyway. I trust Sumsung a lot. I do use Facebook, and it does make it easier to sync with Facebook. It's also A LOT faster than it's older version, Samsung Smartphone Galaxy S.

Since you are from Canada like me, have a look into the Bell plans or Virgin. :) I've actually been decently pleased with Bell's service so far. :)

http://www.samsung.c.../galaxys2/html/

I do like samsung products. I agree they're very trustworthy. I'm with rogers right now and I'm probably going to stay with them. My dad hates bell and he's going to be paying for my phone (mostly).

Rogers has the samsung galaxy SII LTE for $149 with a contract

Edit: Sorry for double post. I was trying to edit my last post.. but it made a new one? I guess since I hit "quote"

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Don't double post, edit your post instead if you'd like to add something.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Linsta, you might want to check out other companies besides Rogers, Telus, etc.

My friend has a Blackberry with Koodo and he pays around $20/month without a data plan because he mostly texts. They're sure to have good plans with iPhones too.

I have an iPhone with Virgin Mobile and they have a thing called Super Tab. Instead of paying for the phone upfront, they open a tab for you and 10% of each bill goes toward your tab. If you want to leave Virgin, you pay off your tab and you're free to move on. iPhone 4's probably have a pretty low tab since the 4S came out recently. I like the idea of the tab better because it's basically the (overpriced) cost of the phone and you aren't stuck with them for 3 years.

Hope that helped! :)

Linsta, you might want to check out other companies besides Rogers, Telus, etc.

My friend has a Blackberry with Koodo and he pays around $20/month without a data plan because he mostly texts. They're sure to have good plans with iPhones too.

I have an iPhone with Virgin Mobile and they have a thing called Super Tab. Instead of paying for the phone upfront, they open a tab for you and 10% of each bill goes toward your tab. If you want to leave Virgin, you pay off your tab and you're free to move on. iPhone 4's probably have a pretty low tab since the 4S came out recently. I like the idea of the tab better because it's basically the (overpriced) cost of the phone and you aren't stuck with them for 3 years.

Hope that helped! :)

I looked into getting a plan with a tab, but it mostly depends if I plan on staying with them. I think you get charged a few hundred dollars for breaking out of a contract. For the tab, if I pay $70 a month and i'ts a $600 phone, it would take 7 years to pay off. If I stayed with them for 3 years I'd still have $350 on the tab, so yeah. As long as I dont plan on leaving the contract, it will save me a lot of money. Although I'm pretty sure you still have to pay some upfront and you cant put the whole thing on your tab, but yeah.

The other thing I am worried about is network coverage. I have heard from some people using koodo/virgin that the signals aren't as good. I'm really not sure.

I know you said you have pretty much made up your mind, but in case you (or anyone else looking to buy a smartphone) are still unsure, I'd recommend you use a phone website that lets you search specifically for what you're looking for in a phone.

I personally like the phone finder on GSM Arena: http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3. It will let you search by screen size, whether you want a qwerty keyboard or not, type of touchscreen, quality of camera, and so on. You can go on to compare phone models side by side, and sometimes they have in-depth reviews with the pros and cons.

Me? I'd go for an Android every time, but it suits me better. I think as you are leaning towards the iPhone that that will suit you better as a part of you already wants it. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

*loves talking about smartphones* :laughingsmiley:

Alright, so just to add something for you to think about...

I have a Android Phone that is pretty much like an iphone, and it suits my needs (phone-alarm-games-emails...) I am not paying for a data plan because it was a ripped off since you can connect to wi-fi almost everywhere... for free.

If you go with Apple's iPhone, you can use Facetime to do video calls to other mac, iPhone, iPad... and it works a lot better than skype. Sound is especially better, doesn't cut or echo all the time. Since you have a mac, you would be able to use iCloud in sync, which is kinda nice :P. The camera in the iPhone is pretty decent too, but I'm not sure how it compares to the one on my Android Nexus One.

I don't get how my sister's blackberry works xD. But it's great for texting since you have a real keyboard. Better than a touch screen with a weird auto corrector if you plan on texting a lot.

This is from a big android fan, so keep that in mind...

I'm fairly spoiled and big on technology, so I've tried practically every option available when it comes to smart phones. I would disregard Blackberries, because while they have their niche audience, its popularity is waning, and will soon be left behind by other phone models. I personally use a Droid HTC Incredible 1 running official version 2.3.4 (no root... for now), and I love it. I could never permanently switch to an iPhone of any kind. However, it is important to take into consideration a few things.

1. You said you were leaning towards the iPhone, that first reaction implies that is what you really want and would be most happy with.
  2. It is a little difficult to understand droid phones if you haven't already used a smart phone or aren't abnormally tech savvy, and the iPhone is very user friendly.
  3. If you're going to use the GPS and other such things, that will take up the battery quickly. I personally think iPhones have better batteries than Droids, since I can't last the day without a fairly bulky extended battery.
  4. Where I live (in the mountains), Verizon is a must. It would be wise to consider different phone plans and coverage areas for Canada (I'm clueless).

In conclusion, I (as a devoted Droid user) strongly recommend that you get an iPhone. I really think that is the best choice. But I do think the iPhone 4S is overrated, so avoid that.

PS. Hopefully people don't think I'm a hypocrite for saying I prefer Droid and then listing reasons to get an iPhone. If anyone really wants to call me out on that and have that discussion, start a debate topic or PM me.

PPS. That debate topic sounds like a good idea...

I don't get how my sister's blackberry works xD. But it's great for texting since you have a real keyboard. Better than a touch screen with a weird auto corrector if you plan on texting a lot.

In my opinion, I've found that physical QWERTY keyboards on phones tend to be two small for my abnormally large fingers. I find it easier to type on a digital keyboard. It could be that I just hardly ever txt anyone or use heavily abbreviated English, so I never really ran terribly afoul of the auto-correct.

Edited by superboybot

This is from a big android fan, so keep that in mind...

I'm fairly spoiled and big on technology, so I've tried practically every option available when it comes to smart phones. I would disregard Blackberries, because while they have their niche audience, its popularity is waning, and will soon be left behind by other phone models. I personally use a Droid HTC Incredible 1 running official version 2.3.4 (no root... for now), and I love it. I could never permanently switch to an iPhone of any kind. However, it is important to take into consideration a few things.

1. You said you were leaning towards the iPhone, that first reaction implies that is what you really want and would be most happy with.
  2. It is a little difficult to understand droid phones if you haven't already used a smart phone or aren't abnormally tech savvy, and the iPhone is very user friendly.
  3. If you're going to use the GPS and other such things, that will take up the battery quickly. I personally think iPhones have better batteries than Droids, since I can't last the day without a fairly bulky extended battery.
  4. Where I live (in the mountains), Verizon is a must. It would be wise to consider different phone plans and coverage areas for Canada (I'm clueless).

In conclusion, I (as a devoted Droid user) strongly recommend that you get an iPhone. I really think that is the best choice. But I do think the iPhone 4S is overrated, so avoid that.

Thanks, that was really helpful! About the 4S being overrated, do you think I should just get a 4? I think the Iphone4 is free on a contract, while the basic 16GB 4S is $159 on a contract. Considering I probably won't get another phone for 3-4 years, is it not worth it to pay the $159 for the 4S, or is the difference really that minimal?

I don't need more than 16GB since I'll just have music on it, no videos probably, and I'm not going to put my whole music library on there either. I also don't care much for the camera. I would just use it to snap candid shots, and I'm not going to be picky on quality for that. I have a DSLR for when I need to take high quality photos.

Thanks, that was really helpful! About the 4S being overrated, do you think I should just get a 4? I think the Iphone4 is free on a contract, while the basic 16GB 4S is $159 on a contract. Considering I probably won't get another phone for 3-4 years, is it not worth it to pay the $159 for the 4S, or is the difference really that minimal?

I don't need more than 16GB since I'll just have music on it, no videos probably, and I'm not going to put my whole music library on there either. I also don't care much for the camera. I would just use it to snap candid shots, and I'm not going to be picky on quality for that. I have a DSLR for when I need to take high quality photos.

I personally find the iPhone 4S to be overrated/not worth it, but you don't have to blindly listen to me if you don't want to. Let me explain the major (not pointless) differences between the two iPhone models.

The 4S has a revamped camera with HD video, but you the regular 4 has a perfectly good camera without HD, and I won't get technical. It also supports Siri, the virtual assistant for people who can't use any of Google's services without having a stroke. I've found it to be a novelty at best, and you'll probably just forget about it after a week. The two most important differences as far as I can tell are:

• A more powerful processor
  • Longer battery?

For the sake of time, I refuse to get technical, but the 4S does have a faster CPU. If you are looking to run the latest and greatest apps without lag, go for it. On the sites I list below, they all state the 4S battery is more powerful. I'm not going to say they're lairs, but I did notice that my Dad (who upgraded from 4 to 4S through his work) spent just as much time with the battery dead on the 4S that he did on the regular 4.

If you're not getting another phone for 3-4 years, it is true the iPhone 4 will become obsolete before the 4S does. Frankly, I never saw the need to get it (remember, the jump from 3GS to 4 was big) and I would think before paying a premium for questionable longevity. In order to make an unbiased decision for yourself, you can visit these links:

http://www.engadget....le-of-the-tape/

http://mashable.com/...one-4s-upgrade/

http://reviews.cnet....mparison-chart/

http://www.apple.com...ompare-iphones/

If you need more information or any questions, reply or PM me. :nerd: