SOPA and us

billpika_x8

We are all aware of SOPA (stop online piracy act). We are aware of the effect it will have on our online lives. The majority of the American public opposes it. If it passes, you would get 5 years in prison for uploading a Michael Jackson song, which is 1 year more than his doctor got for manslaughter. But, on a lighter note my friend wrote this silly song condemning SOPA. I have the unfinished lyrics here. He spelled SOPA wrong, by the way 0.o

Soapah sucks!

Soapah sucks!

No more youtube?

No more wikipedia?

No more wi-fi?

No more internet?

This is violence to dah interwebs!

:guitar:

And that's all he wrote. I'm still gasping with laughter :laughingsmiley:

I'm sure he had good intentions, but was misinformed. And the misspelling was funny, because he went to a private school for 3 1/2 years :shiftyeyes_anim:

SOPA and PIPA. Please. Don't let it pass. Sign a virtual petition. Black out your own site if you have one. Spread the word. Activism mode, ACTIVATE!

:bike: :bike: :medieval: come at me, government

Against SOPA and PIPA completely. :grrr: I stood up against them on this one website :P

I had to explain to all of my friends and teachers why Wikipedia was down today xD

Seriously, I bet that everyone that has joined on this site oppose SOPA.

Better than signing a petition is calling your representatives and - if you can't get in touch with them directly - leave a message on their voicemachine telling them to vote NO. We put them in power, might as well get some use out of them.

You can get the phone numbers for your state's reps from Wikipedia - just go to the website, plug your zip code into the box, and they'll give you each of your reps by name with their phone numbers and mailing addresses.

If you're not comfortable calling them, sending a handwritten letter is also ideal to sending them e-mail - you actually have to physically touch a letter to throw it away, while an e-mail is just a click from the recycle.

I did my bit and called my senators today. ^^

Hopefully this thing will get stopped, between Obama speaking out against it and the publicity it's gotten these past few days it should be dead in the water.

I guess all it will come to is if congress listens to its constituents or if they fall to the pressure and money of the select group in big business/media.

I've signed petitions and stayed offline all day. I've also participated in the deviantART protest by posting up the Deviaton Censored image that everyone is doing over there. All I can say is that the bill would make our Internet more censored than it already is in China. With the people all against it, I doubt it'll ever pass. Even the president is against it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well in Europe we have ACTA. And our STUPID diplomate or whoever signed it in China (or Japan?) without even knowing what she was signing. We didn't even find out about it until it was signed. This is [removed] :grrr:

We didn't even get to chance to do petitions or protest, because everything was done in secrecy! So yay for stupid Slovenian politics.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Censoring swear words do not make them okay to say on the forums. The censored swear has been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.