Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

And then there were none was a really quick read, fast passed, enjoyable and still can't believe it was a summer reading choice. I enjoyed it too.

pretentious drivel. :whistle:

I need to find a way for me to stop procrastinating on longterm assignments. I have no problem with doing an assignment if I'm given less than a week to do it, but if I'm given any more time then I'll go into full-on slacker mode. <_<

Hehe, pretentious drivel, I think that might be going a tad far but I would agree, I didn't really enjoy to kill a mocking bird all that much but it was definitely no where near one of the worst books I've read. Great Expectations, now that book was filled with pretentious drivel :sick01:

But the trick to possibly help stop the long term procrastination is to set due dates for yourself say, write on your calendar or something that you must have one of the assignments done in say a week from now, even though you know its not, maybe if you have people keep reminding you or you start leaving notes for yourself, you'll get it done. Who knows, easier said than done, I know :rolleyes_anim:

Oh I love Agatha Christie! Her books always go by really quickly for me. I actually kinda liked To Kill a Mockingbird, but Great Expectations was tough, along with Huck Finn. I just could not finish that book.

You could make your own due dates for parts of the project ahead of time. I do that sometimes (though I don't always keep to them very well :guiltysmiley: ).

I figured that might be why you didn't like it. I do like Steinbeck's style of writing.

My favorite assigned readings were The Princess Bride, A Tale of Two Cities, and The Eight (some of those we had a long list that we could choose from). Of and The Call of the Wild. I'm trying to remember if there were others...

For grade 8 English (which was not an accelerated course, as the only accelerated courses in grade 8 are math and science) we had to choose between four books to read over the course of the school year and write a paragraph about conflicts in the story for each book. One of the books I chose to read was The Pearl, and I was probably the only person who actually liked it. All my friends who had read it absolutely hated the book and found it to be boring and pretentious. (Three of my friends who didn't have the same English teacher as me were forced to read it and analyze it much closer than I had to. Like, they had to do questions and do a project, essay or something like that.)

I also read The Outsiders and The Call of the Wild. The former was probably one of the best books I've ever read, but I hated the latter with a passion. It's basically a 102-page description on how some dog gets sent north to become a sled dog and has to kill to survive, blah blah blah. TBH, I really only skimmed most of the book and slapped together a paragraph at the very last minute and somehow passed the class for that quarter. :laughingsmiley:

Oh yeah, the other book you could choose to read was The House on Mango Street. I already read that book over the summer so that's why I didn't choose it. (Also, it's kind of a hard read for having less than 125 pages...it doesn't have much of a plot so it would be kinda hard to summarize conflicts and whatnot :/)

From my previous post, I actually liked the book I had to do a report on. It was Flush. xD I spent over 2 and a half hours reading it overnight. :P It was over 250 pages or so.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I loved To Kill A Mocking Bird. It was the other books for my honors English class I didn't like, like Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath, Summer of my German Soldier, etc.

Sounds like you took the same honors class as me, just in a different state. Summer of my German Soldier was probably one of my least favorites & I had to do an extended project/report on it. Same with Grapes of Wrath & Of Mice and Men . . . I really did love To Kill A Mocking Bird, though, so I don't think you're weird at all

I've never re-read any classics (let alone read for the first time...) and I usually don't re-read books, unless I own them and they're good enough to read more than once. (I did re-read all the Wimpy Kid books [that I own] several times before)

There are some books that I've been meaning to read again (that I'd have to check out of the library), usually because it had a good plot and/or it's been a while since I finished it so I forget what all went on in the book.

I generally re-read books if they were good and it's been awhile, or if they're around the house and I'm bored and have nothing else to read.

I finally got to read the newest James Rollins book, so now I'm going to go back and read all his previous ones again.

Oh I also liked Fahrenheit 451. I re-read that and To Kill a Mockingbird.

I had a hard time when we picked books from a list - I usually had already read most of the books I would even like. That's how I read The Eight - it was way longer than anything else on the list, but I liked it. I also got stuck reading a Clive Cussler book that way and I hated it because it was so predictable.

I really might be alone in this opinion but my favorite book that I've ever been assigned to read is The Great Gatsby, hands down. Amazing book.

I had a hard time when we picked books from a list - I usually had already read most of the books I would even like. That's how I read The Eight - it was way longer than anything else on the list, but I liked it. I also got stuck reading a Clive Cussler book that way and I hated it because it was so predictable.

Which book of his did you read? I love Clive Cussler, he's one of my favorites, but I generally sit there often rolling my eyes. He plays off the whole, macho-man stereotypes too much. You know like, the character always has to end up saving a beautiful woman and they fall madly in love, or he barely gets off an island alive, and he wants a beer before he'll talk about it. :rolleyes_anim: Not to mention he doesn't get very far off the "world domination" theme in his Dirk Pitt and Kurt Austin series. That's why I like his Oregon Files series the best. They're all unique.

Ok then...

In other news, I've been feeling quite despondent and crappy these past few days. I realized that I've ended up bursting into tears over the silliest and most futile things. :|

I feel it's no use explaining unless someone else wants to hear. /: