Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Yeah they do. But those aren't things my family ever bought.

You've never had jam at home? Wow! Incidentally, why does jam get called 'jelly' in America anyway? And what do you call what we call jelly? (As in, the wobbly stuff that you have at kid's parties). These things always confuse me, I never understand why when the language used in America comes from England you end up with these inconsistencies.

Hmm, that is interesting, I never really thought about that before but I guess that's the whole principle of colloquialism and vernacular though...

I have no idea why we call it jelly not jam, but in the store, there is actually a distinct difference between jelly and jam, basically meaning there are 2 different kinds of jam (one called jelly, one called jam) which are almost identical :rolleyes_anim:

And I'm not sure what you wobbly stuff you are referring to but if it is gelatin, then we call it jello. This?

jello-perfect.jpg

That looks like jelly, so presumably jello = jelly. I don't think I've ever seen blue jelly/o before though, quite exciting. I think you occasionally get a jam-like thing that's called jelly here, I think its when there are no bits or pulp or anything in it, and its clear rather than opaque. I've only seen cranberry jelly and mint jelly though, and those might have just come over from America. All very confusing. Food and cookery in general bewilder me a bit though, like who first discovered how to make cheese, because it's not just a case of letting milk go off normally, so it can't have been done by accident, but surely once you'd noticed the milk start to turn most people would've got rid of it? Um, yes, I'll stop now, but it is intriguing...(to my crazy brain at least!)

We always have foods that come in glass jars. I can't imagine not having pickles, hot peppers, olives, jam, and other things like that. What do you guys put on hamburgers? (well, minus the jam) Or do Americans not cook hamburgers at home? :P

Jam is typically made with whole cooked fruits, whereas jelly is made with just the juices.

Jello is a brand name for flavoured gelatin desserts in North America. There are many other brands too, but it is one of those things that usually gets called by the most popular brand name when referring to it categorically. I don't like doing that with things, since I have no reason to give free advertising to any one brand over others. Flavoured gelatin comes in many flavours in North America. The blue stuff is usually raspberry. They use blue to differentiate, since red is already taken up by cherry and strawberry.

Canadian English has a lot more in common with British English, but we do use a lot of Americanisms. And then there's some words and phrases that are just Canadian.

We always have foods that come in glass jars. I can't imagine not having pickles, hot peppers, olives, jam, and other things like that. What do you guys put on hamburgers? (well, minus the jam) Or do Americans not cook hamburgers at home? :P

We cook at home. But I don't get any of that (olives, jam, hot pepers). I only ever get pickles, and even still, never do I put it on a hamburger. I just use cheese and ketchup.

Ketchup is so boring. I don't think I'd really want a hamburger without dill pickles. They are my favourite burger topping. That, and zucchini relish. I hate sweet pickles, though.

Veggie Burgers are good. Not so much the boca burgers, but the garden burgers. :D I have....ketchup lettuce and onion. and Cheese.

Is it weird that I only like tomato based condiments?

Is it weird that I only like tomato based condiments?

I think that most people prefer tomato-based condiments. I, however, have an anti-preference to them.

-Just got back from chess match.-

Won both of my games. :nerd:

Never had a veggie burger. If I wanted one I could probably just go mow the lawn and eat the cut grass, though. That's about the same thing, i've heard. -shrug-

If that is the case Ryan, then they taste bad. I was playing sports in the park when I tripped, fell, and some grass got in my mouth.

I don't think I'd really want a hamburger without dill pickles.

I hate pickles on a burger. Something cold on something hot. Ew.

I also add a spice that adds an extra kick to the burger.

I've done that in the street.

Faceplanting after running into a car while trying to catch a football is quite embarrasing.

And asphault does not taste good.

I hate onions and pickles on a cheeseburger. Just. No.