Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Actually, three times: Random Invisible Guy → Random Terran Guy → Theodore → "AA". :P In my defence, it just took me a while to settle on a decent name - I pretty much never change my display name otherwise.

I'm fortunate enough to be allowed three name changes per month as a staff member. :yes:

In my defence once again... we are running the site for you guys. And writing new content for you. And keeping old content up to date for you. And refreshing madly, trawling through the Neoboards, and racking our brains until they overheat in order to have usable plot coverage out as soon as possible for you. And scraping as much statistical (and other) data from every single source we can get our hands on to write accurate Altador Cup analysis and reports for you. And battling spam bots on a daily basis to keep the forums clean for you. And programming and tweaking scanners to deliver the latest news for you. And keeping tabs on every single announcement TNT makes so that you don't miss out on anything. And I could go on...

So, have you got the 'Welcome JB' board ready yet? :P

Of course not! That's preposterous! :shiftyeyes_anim:

I guess, when you put it that way, but....

We're the ones who provide feedback. We give you guys motivation. Without us, you'd be doing a lot of useless work. You'd be lonely. And you wouldn't know me, the best person ever.

But why don't you talk to Ian about an IM?

Well, let me put it this way: some staffers (not telling who) are idiots who have to change their display name three times a day before they settle on one they like. (:

And a new member rank has been on the agenda for some time. It just needs to wait until the next staff meeting to be formalised.

Plenty of values have been suggested for the new ranks, but the final ones should be decided in the meeting.

I must say, I like that JB member idea. :P I'm not sure if it would be possible to implement though.

Hmm... interesting methodology, but not quite the way I'd do it. ;) It would probably be simpler to attach a hook to the function that handles new posts, checking the member ID against yours.

If the member ID is yours, it'll have to scan through the member database, comparing your new post count with the post counts of all the members in the database. If they're a match, the members will be added to the JB Member group. If not, they'll be left as is, or removed from the group if they're in it.

If the member ID isn't yours, it'll have to check the updated post count against your post count. If they match, the user will be added to the JB Member group. If not, they'll be left as is, or removed from the group if they're in it.

As you can see, this would incur a significant performance hit, especially when you post and it has to query (and possibly update) the entire members table.

While that would likely simplify the comparison, the performance hit would be largely unchanged - comparing thousands of post counts is a fairly quick activity compared to querying the entire database, which it would still have to do when you posted.

Whether or not it's formalised at a staff meeting, the performance issues will still remain. :P

Well, considering the performance optimisations we have present, the issue might not manifest itself as an overload - everything would probably run as normal, except that JB wouldn't be able to post because the system would time out the request every time he tried. xD

Well we could do a "more pwnsome than Ian" rank. That wouldn't require any processing at all - we wouldn't be able to put any members in it. :P

Actually, considering the number of inactive FMs we have scattered around the forums, we probably wouldn't actually have to create a dummy member. Which is actually kinda sad... :(