Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

I'm partway through cooking my lunch. xD

And I only just got a new laptop (a netbook) which actually has a working battery and is thus portable - so I'm happy. :D

My old laptop's battery degraded to the point where it lasted about ten minutes, then somehow started messing with the power supply so the thing wouldn't boot at all. I removed the battery and started using it as a paperweight. :yes:

Eheh, I think I should clarify that statement: I kept the laptop (it worked fine with the battery removed) and used the battery as a paperweight. xD

I don't see the purpose of paperweights (I'm not even entirely sure what they are!) :P

My Macbook apparently has 10 hours of battery, but that's only if you leave it on and do nothing on it. It'll usually last for over 6 hrs or so (really depends on what you're doing).

Apparently using up and recharging your battery at least once a month is good for your laptop. But that might only be for lithium batteries.

Yes, that's correct. Most large lithium-ion batteries (like the ones used in laptops) have fuel gauges that are used to monitor how much juice is left in the battery. As you charge and discharge the battery constantly, this fuel gauge gradually slews off until it becomes very inaccurate, so it'll probably indicate that the battery has less power than it actually does. Emptying the battery and charging it up fully resets the gauge.

And a paperweight is something you use to hold down paper. It mitigates the problems caused by fans and air conditioning. :yes:

Oh...

Here I was thinking you were using a laptop.

Well to be honest, I do use laptops (and various other electronic devices) as paperweights plenty often. I'll use pretty much anything as a paperweight if I need to. xD But laptop batteries do a pretty good job.

Yeah, my laptop lasts for about five hours when not plugged in, but since I always use it for more than that, I just keep it plugged in all the time. My dad does the same with his laptop, except that one only lasts two hours. I often use my laptop to flatten my magazines when I'm not reading them. That way they don't automatically open to a page I spent a long time reading, and are generally neater this way. :D

I do that too, Revenge. I actually dont travel too much with my laptop, so it just stays on my desk plugged in. The battery lasts for roughly 3 hours which isnt too bad...

There wasn't an actual expiration date, but it was in horrible shape. The battery was long dead when I got it. Then the back light on the screen died, then it's fan died. So I took it apart, and used an external monitor, keyboard, & mouse. I took out all the parts that I didn't need, & had a regular house fan blowing over it to cool it off. I used it like that for a few months :tired: