Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Ehhh... throughout most of my school years it was the teachers playing pranks on the students. :P But there are none that were really good enough for me to remember...

I kind of hate school lol. I feel as though school is full classes and information that we wont use 75% when we get in the real world.

Like math, we all know in life you only use addition, subtraction, and mulitplication; why put us throught he suffering ! lol

I think for the average person, math might be a bit over done. I don't use anything beyond the basics for work. But I use forumlas I learned in Algebra all the time in my day-to-day life. (I actually used my favorite equation about 10 minutes ago.)

Its useless HS math I hate; Like I am in Calculus now, and to be honest, when will I ever have to know how to graph a tangent, sine, cosine graph or whichever ones. Like seriously ? Yea, I'm totally gonna be walking down the street one day like hey a parabola, Let us use the quadratic formula to figure out the equation for it. Come on ! LOL :laughingsmiley:

You'd be surprised how applicable those equations really are but sadly when you tell people such, like when you spout off the equations of motion for say a projectile in a parabola, people usually just tell you to shut up. -_- or they throw things at you :rolleyes_anim:

Indeed. There may be many fields where you won't have to do much more than basic mathematics, but as an engineer, well...

Analysing the forces in all the components of even a simple, statically loaded (no changing forces) structure (you need to do this to make sure none of the components will wear down or break outright) requires you to know complex vector calculations like the back of your hand (and, by extension, basic algebra and lots of trigonometry). Designing the most basic electrical/mechanical/mechatronic control system will have you drawing on complex numbers, various number series, and literally every single calculus trick you've learned, from integration by parts to Laplace Transforms - and that's just the modelling stage. Programming is a little less intensive, but you still need to know at least enough about various mathematical tasks to tell a computer to do them all for you. Statistical analysis is also very important for programmers when they're looking to optimise their software for maximum speed.

Yeah. Sometimes you need maths. Even if you're not an engineer, we're the guys that make sure your home doesn't collapse on you. :P

Eww, Laplace Transforms :sick01: I know they are supposed to make integration easier but for some reason at the beginning there it seemed to make things much harder.

And on the school prank side, our classes always tried to do group pranks but they were always dumb and not everyone did them making them fail even more, for example the one time some people wanted the whole class to stand up at exactly the same time :rolleyes_anim: whoopty doo, really threw the teacher off, not...but I think our failed attempts did make most of the teacher smile at our ineptitude.

Heh, well, Laplace Transforms don't do a whole lot for most integration in my experience. xD But they're an absolutely beautiful way of solving differential equations. Pull out a table and do some quick Laplace Transforms and a complicated differential equation is suddenly a matter of simple algebra. Solve that, reverse the transform, and you have your result. :)

Heh, well, Laplace Transforms don't do a whole lot for most integration in my experience. xD But they're an absolutely beautiful way of solving differential equations. Pull out a table and do some quick Laplace Transforms and a complicated differential equation is suddenly a matter of simple algebra. Solve that, reverse the transform, and you have your result. :)

you sound really intelligent..it's slightly intimidating

I'm not really that intelligent. It's just that I'm so bad at integration that I'd have no hope of solving a differential equation without Laplace Transforms. :P

Well hey, I'll bet you could school me in StarCraft strategy no trouble. :P And I'm pretty hopeless at the visual arts. And poetry.

The vast majority of my general knowledge is focused around operating computers. xD

He is, too. But he also knows a lot about other stuff, too. But I know more about home remedies, variety in music (he doesn't listen to much more than two or three genres), and art. And we are both well-versed in cooking, so :P

<3 cooking!

I can't cook, have zero musical taste, and am only ever on the receiving end of home remedies. So yeah. xD

Oooh... sounds fascinating. ;)

My way of dealing with an illness is pretty much to drink waaay too much water and ignore it. xD

you sound really intelligent..it's slightly intimidating

Theo is our official "Ohmygodi'llneverbethatawesome. Heslikeeinsteinwithoutthehair." guy. xD

Then again, there is a chance that he's a robot. :P

I'm not really that intelligent. It's just that I'm so bad at integration that I'd have no hope of solving a differential equation without Laplace Transforms. :P

And might I add, extremely modest. *nods* I need to get you in a conversation with my husband. I'm smart, but not his level. I think he misses having crazy-smart intellectual conversations. :laughingsmiley:

Hello :)

I am seriously tense right now. Been playing Wrath of the Snowager for the past 2 hours. I'm trying to get the Better Than You avatar & trophy but I keep losing the game because of silly mistakes. I got so close too.. was 20k out. I'm not giving up yet though. <_< I will not let it beat me. :ph34r: :grrr:

Yeah it is really infuriating.

I keep losing at about 1mil.

Plus, the game is refusing to give me bonus lives so I don't have enough for the last round (after getting through all the levels, I die on purpose just when I'm almost finished level 12 so that I keep my points & can redo the level for more points).

Oh and it glitched too... Check this out: http://i54.tinypic.com/x6k6s6.jpg

So I had to lose a life in order continue because it got stuck. I told TNT about it.

Ouch Iona, that sucks :( It's such an annoying game :/

I really need to get back on track with trying for avatars...School keeps getting in the way though xDD Although I have a lend set up for Snicklebeast in March, so that'll put me at 249 :D

Was hoping for an FFQ during the faerie event so i could get that one out of the way...no such luck :P

I've been stuck with avatars for quite awhile, but the last week has been really awesome to me for avatars. Since the start of this week, I've gotten 5 new avatars: FQD, Chokato, Magax Destroyer, Dr. Sloth, and Imposter Apple. :D

My husband got a FFQ last night, so once he decides what he wants, I might get the Buzzin' avatar. If he wants a Buzz (which he seems to think he does, though I insist that he only gets one if that's what he really, really wants and not to be influenced by the fact that i want the avatar) I'll make his Buzz on my account. Then he'll make my Chocolate Draik on his.

Congrats on beating the Better Than You! I did so the first night it came out on my first try. I just kept going in a loop and tried not to go out of my way and let the little chia guy come to me. Worked pretty slick. My wife kept nagging me to go do something and I kept telling her "I gotta get my points for this! Just a few more minutes!" I think it took half an hour or so.

Is there a Better Than You Avatar that I recieved? I don't recall it being awarded, maybe it was done at the same time as the silly petpet paintbrush and the trophy?

Dear Iona,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your score of 1,400,830 beats the score of 1,400,000 by The Snowager in the BETTER THAN YOU competition! You have won 3,000 NP, a cool trophy and a great item! Well done!

Yours Sincerely,

The Neopets Team

Thank you, Spritzie :D

Yes, I started playing it the day it came out on Better Than You. I hadn't played it before BTY but thought I was okay at it so I kept playing. It got really annoying but I badly wanted the trophy and avatar and didn't know the next time I'd be able to do a BTY (I usually can't even get close to the people's scores).

Took a lot of determination but it payed off.

I got the avatar! I got my trophy! I am one happy person right now :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Thanks SWO. Gratz to you too!

I think I got awarded mine at the same time I got my neomail. (There's no random event for it) You'll have it if you check :D

You guys have convinced me to try for it. There's still plenty of spaces to get the PB. (Yay for items for my Draik Fund. Or a new Snow petpet for my gallery.)

EDIT: I'm about to try for it. My HS is 212k. (I got bored by that point.) What are some tips to get so much higher of a score?

Keep circling around in the first level so you can get extra lives. Then collect all the items but the last one and then purposely die so you get to repeat the first round then repeat the 1st level again and again and again :rolleyes_anim: it's not hard it just takes some time. The first two levels are the easiest and you get the most points from them. I got the better than you without even going to round 2 :) You can do it!

Also yes, you automatically get the avatar when you get the trophy and item. You also get the item immediately even when your score is in review.