The Difference Between Love and Obsession

Naamah D.

I've noticed that a lot of people who say that they love their Neopets get the "It's just a game" crap more than users who just create Neopets and then not feed them or bother to play with them.

See when I think of loving your Neopets I think of taking the time to take care of them. When I think of obsession I think of people who scream in agony if their pet gets sick from a random event, people who cry if they forget to feed their pets one day or if that's all they ever talk about.

So where does love and caring for your pets go too far?

Well I get really upset when my pet gets a colour change. This is more out of anger because of my hard work going down the drain. DX My favourite pet get boochied/invisible four times in a month. There should be a limit. I don't think that's love though.

I feel bad when my pets are crying/unhappy and I try and make them happy. I don't think that's going too far. xD

Loving them would be caring for them, keeping them happy and healthy and full.

Obsessing over them would be checking every minute if they're happy or not, feeling anxious and upset the whole day if you miss one day of being with them, and printing images of them and sticking them all over your house and emailing them to literally everyone.

I've been kind of "obsessing" over Neopets lately, I think... I spend pretty much all my free time now drawing Neopets art @_@

But that's just kind of how I am, I think. Whenever I like something, I'm all gung-ho, but eventually I get tired of it and move on to something else.

I had a similar conundrum to this when putting my pets in the Neolodge... I wanted to get my pets something better than the 5np hotel, but didn't want to pay more, which made me wonder why I even bother putting them there in the first place...

I guess I don't like to look at their unhappy faces...

Obsession is when you literally cannot go a day without the game, in my opinion. If you OCD-check neopets (and that's not meant to be offensive, I myself have strong OCD), for your shop and stocks. If you cry if your food club bets fall through, or if the stock market bombs or something, that's a bit excessive.

Loving the game, to me, is being able to enjoy the game and the people on it (or TDN!) an playing the game to enjoy it and the content, not for success.

There was a girl on anothe game I used to play who would rage quit for the day of she didn't get a whopping 5000 experience on her horse - hard feat to accomplish. Or if she only got 1 million dollars from mining gems for six hours straight, which is hard for anyone to do. It got so she hated the game because she wasn't succeeding in her mon because she was so obsessed with the game that she had to be the best. That in turned soured the game for many others (also one reason I quit that game for a whole, I was sick of her lol).

But that's another thing. She was giving up six to TEN hours a day to that game grinding away. Her real life friends weren't happy with her and she gave up time with them and the horse she was lucky to have. So if you're sacrifice stuff like that on a regular basis, it's definitely obsession.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you obsess over Neopets when you start skipping real life things / events , like school or parties .. to be with your pixels ...

I tend to agree with this one. I don't think it's obsession to spend a lot of time, or to care about it. I do think it is an obsession when you choose it over important things in life.

However, I always skip parties in favor of my neopets. I don't think that's obsessive. I genuinely would prefer to stay home and play than to go to parties, and there's nothing wrong with that. Parties are lame and painful for my back because you can never get a seat. I'm thinking more along the lines of skipping school or skipping work...family events like weddings and funerals...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even skip homework for neopets, it's just something fun to do when I relax. I think it'd be too far if I started skipping so much homework that I got less than B's. I'm an A student in general so that would be taking it pretty far. Then again my classes have gotten pretty hard O.O

I tend to agree with this one. I don't think it's obsession to spend a lot of time, or to care about it. I do think it is an obsession when you choose it over important things in life.

However, I always skip parties in favor of my neopets. I don't think that's obsessive. I genuinely would prefer to stay home and play than to go to parties, and there's nothing wrong with that. Parties are lame and painful for my back because you can never get a seat. I'm thinking more along the lines of skipping school or skipping work...family events like weddings and funerals...

I agree with this. If someone wants to skip parties or hanging out with friends to relax and play on the internet there's nothing wrong with that. IMO a person's life shouldn't revolve around parties and such if they don't want it to; they should do what they enjoy the most. However if someone finds themselves skipping work, school, etc. just to play neopets then there might be a bit of obsession there lol. Or if you're online/playing neopets so much it's affecting important aspects of your life such as your health then yeah I would call that obsession. I was completely obsessed during the purge and I wasn't sleeping for more than 10 minutes at a time because I was so paranoid and anxious over it and I got really sick from not getting sleep. Now that is what I call obsession over neopets and now I have to look back and laugh LOL so ridiculous, but I did get some of the names I wanted. XD

As for the love part I wouldn't call it love, but just caring. I sure care about my neopets a lot, I wouldn't want to lose them, but at the same time I don't freak out when their neolodge expires or if they go sad... I just get around to fixing that when I get around to it. I don't see anything wrong with making sure your neopets look happy and nice.