Going on a forced kind-of hiatus thing.

Sweetdang

HAI GAISE.

The word "gaise" makes me think of rubbery cheese. Huhuhuhuhu. Anyway. Please note the title, because I'm currently on a forced kind-of hiatus! Nothing serious, really, because I love you all too much to not come back NEVER GONNA RUN AROUND AND DESERT YOU. Let me explain this little whatchamacallit that's forcing me to go on this kind-of hiatus. That word is so long! D: Okay, um, Koftus. :D (Kind OF hiaTUS geddit? No? Well then.) I kind of.. have no internet access. Now before people (like Wembly - I knew someone would ask that, I would too! xD) ask me why I can post this, or start calling me a liar or anything -

My Compaq Presario V3000 laptop has no internet access. Other than the fact that it was already not quite the fastest computer on the block, it now has a virus. Fancy, ain't it! I use it for everything... social networking, doing my dailies, posting here on TDNF, typing out my NaNo - which I can't any longer, which makes me angry >[ ) but it's been attacked by this virus. Which is terribly clever by the way. It's ruining my online life (I sound like a loser with no friends.) but I can't do anything but stand in ultimate awe of it's cleverness. Do you know what it does? It hacks your computer, then deletes the Security anti-virus thing you use, and poses as it, giving you updates like "Security update November 2, 3:55PM. Your computer is completely secure." Which is ingenious, because this way it takes much loner to guess that's the virus. Anyway. It's kind of blocking my internet, I don't know why. But it is. Which leads my anger at it. GRRRRRRRRRR :angry: But so smart! :O Kays so anyway, no internet connection right? SO HOW AM I POSTING THIS.

I'm using this other ancient 8 year old computer PC desktop computer thing with huge keys that are very tough to type on. And a reaaally laggy net. :[ But yea. It took me a good half and hour just typing this out, because I kept missing letters and typing in punctuation and stuff plus it loads like a snail slorg. (In honor of Slorg day!!!) So yea my family has 4 people who share the same computer and now we clamor to use this. In this limited time, I only have enough net time to do one thing - dailies and stuff (can't do games, cause 1. It lags 2. It can't load them in the first place pfft.) or post here.

AND I DECIDED TO POST HERE. :D Yea, I love TDN more than Neopets, which is weird, but okay. :) So I'll be on-off here, won't be posting as much. For the mods who were about to send me another spammage warning, the spam level (which isn't on purpose, btw, I'm sorry!) will go down considerably. I'll still be around-ish, though, so if you want to chat, you can no longer just mention me in a post, you have to PM me. Sorry. :/

Feel free to PM me, though, since it's the first thing I'd check and reply ASAP! :yes: And when I get the virus cleared up and out, I'll post here again, to inform you lot, so please don't do anything to make it lock worthy! :P See you guys around, or I'll try to, anyway. :)

~*~Sweetdang~*~

Aw, I was just getting to know you better. D:

My laptop used to do almost the same thing as yours' did when it was intruded by virus a few months ago. Every time I scanned it, I would be told that it's completely secure. Until one day - the only way I could log in to my laptop to save my files was through Safe Mode, I even re-scanned in that mode and the result remains the same.

Sorry, just had to share my similar experience. :( I hope your laptop "heals" as soon as possible, and I'll be able to see you around as often as usual again. ^_^

Darn viruses, always getting the best of computers and their internet connections.

If anything, I wish you the best of luck on all of your endeavours Sweetdang, and I hope your laptop gets fixed as well. It's going to be a shame to not see you around Neopets and the forums often. :sad01_anim:

I like cheese...... Sorry you mentioned cheese :wub_anim:

Yea well, other than the fact that this is incredibly off topic, so do I. :)

Aw, I was just getting to know you better. D:

My laptop used to do almost the same thing as yours' did when it was intruded by virus a few months ago. Every time I scanned it, I would be told that it's completely secure. Until one day - the only way I could log in to my laptop to save my files was through Safe Mode, I even re-scanned in that mode and the result remains the same.

Sorry, just had to share my similar experience. :( I hope your laptop "heals" as soon as possible, and I'll be able to see you around as often as usual again. ^_^

Same here! :/ Anyways, thanks, for now, I'm here because I stole the computer time from everyone else...siblings are sleeping mwahaha. :D

Awe. I hope you get your virus fixed soon. I'll miss you! I don't know you well but you seem awesome. =D

Heh, thanks. :yes: I hope so, too.

Darn viruses, always getting the best of computers and their internet connections.

If anything, I wish you the best of luck on all of your endeavours Sweetdang, and I hope your laptop gets fixed as well. It's going to be a shame to not see you around Neopets and the forums often. :sad01_anim:

And the best thing about that is that I find a lack of reason to cut off our internet. <_< But thanks, and um, I'll still be lurking! :D Just not posting cause that seriously slows down this computer... heh.

I used Multiquote for the first time! Thank you people on hang out and post thread! ;D

That's so sad! I hope you come back soon, cause I haven't known you for that long, and also, I think you're quite a nice person. I'll miss you :(

We'll miss you around here! Glad to hear it's only a temporary hiatus.

I hope you get your computer fixed it's a royal pain when you get a virus and it won't go away.

Last year around this time I didn't have a computer for about 3 months since my laptop decided to crash one day after updates. I don't know how I survived without the internet lol :)

See you soon! :D

Mmmm, cheese, yummy!

I've had a computer virus too around last year, but it only took a few good days for it to be fixed, for some reason, AVG didn't work or update really properly in it, now I'm secured by Avira, but due to the heavy lag it causes and because I don't get much virus thanks to the WoT add-on which tells me which websites are safe to go, and AdBlock Plus for blocking potentially viral ads, I only let it take a weekly schedule on Tuesday.

I hope you get your computer back, have a nice day!

I will miss our comment conversations! Sorry about the virus. :(

I really hope you can get everything worked out and squared away.

Hope you can come on at least everyday or I will miss your silliness. :)

Do the Dew buddy!!

I will miss you!

Though have you tried just putting all your important files on a flash drive and then just completely wipe your hard drive? I would try that...

Uh-oh! That sounds distressing. :( I hope you can get the virus off your computer without anything permanent being damaged. When I got the Shield virus on my old computer (a crappy Dell) I used RKill (a program that stops malware processes) and then Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to clean it up. I lost my desktop background, but that was all.

It's going to be weird not seeing you around the forums, so I hope your computer's up and running again soon. :)

No! My Buttercup (I don't care, I'll put you as that), talking llama and fellow Singaporean is on a hiatus!

You must not leave me and everyone else too!

I will miss you a lot Sweetdang! I'm going to miss seeing your name everytime at the bottom of the main page, and you being the day's top poster almost all the time; makes me utterly jealous! And you are also a very awesome friend to have! I hope everything gets fixed soon! ^_^

This, is why I no longer use Windows. Though I never had a virus with Windows, I never really had anything but issues and slow-downs with it.

So, a few questions:

1. Do you use Photoshop (and are you unwilling to go through some admittedly painful and technically challenging hoops to get it installed, as well as unwilling to use something like Gimp instead)?
  2. Do you use (and NEED) Internet Explorer?
  3. Do you play lots of high-end PC games (like Crysis)?
  4. Do you use any other programs that absolutely NEED Windows, and there are no other viable alternatives to that program (e.g. MS Office -> OpenOffice/LibreOffice, 3D Studio Max -> Blender)?

If you answered 'Yes' to any of those questions, I can't really help you. Else...

You may want to try out one of the alternatives to Windows. I personally use Ubuntu Linux, which is very easy to use (though a bit different - it takes a little getting used to the interface, but it IS very easy to use once you learn it). Another good one is Kubuntu - based on Ubuntu, but the interface is much closer to that of Windows (though still slightly different - if it were the same they'd be sued).

Linux is pretty much immune to viruses, and it does NOT slow down with age - unlike Windows. Your computer will work at peak performance no matter how many files you have on the hard drive, no matter how many programs you've installed, and no matter how long you've been using the system. It also is much lighter on resources, so it will (in some cases - not all) act as if you have a faster computer, even though you don't.

Just my 2 cents. It's not for everyone (hence my list up there), but especially if you spend most of your time doing email, online flash games, web browsing, and stuff like that... It might be perfect.

Oh. Wow. Thanks guys have I mentioned how much I love you? <3 For the record, it's not a hiatus, it's a koftus! Which means I will be around, but much less. More lurking less posting or prolly less lurking minimal posting. But I'll still be around! ish. Whenever I can, I promise. :yes:

@Barbie Boy: Awwh. :* But hay, you're on your weird hiatus thing D< Which allows you to use less of your barbie-ness sigh.

@Mouseykins: 3 months without the internet... will be a sure death for me. I would rather have no phone! (Which I don't. Well I do, but it's like a $40 one. It can text and call though, so I'm happy! :yes:

@Haduo: I used to use AVG... but then it expired. Heh.

@cinnaminii: Do the Dew buddies! xD Gosh, gotta love that stuff. :9 I'll stalk my comments whenever I get on so I can reply you, kay? No need to miss them, cause they'll be prompt and spammy as ever! :D

@Angeló' and Villainous: Villainous, one step ahead of you, this would be the second or third time I'm doing this with my computer. However, it's not "my" computer, 4 people use it. And that's four accounts worth of images, songs, and documents to transfer. I've done the wipe, but there seems to be something wrong with my computer, it doesn't um, function properly. It'll tell me it's done, and while I can move teh mouse and do stuff with it - it'll go back and re-do and re-start the wipe thingy and then blegh. So I just left it running through the night, now I'm trying to re-install the anti-virus, this might mean I'll be back soon, but my computer is still acting up. :/

@Jess: Thanks, I really hope so too. Sweet shapes on your sig, though. ;]

@Eel: Thanks for the experience sharing and the hopes! :D I hope so, too. I've never used Dell but I heard it isn't very good. At least, I THINK it was Dell...

@Ain: Awwwwh I'll miss you too! :) But FYI, I'm Blossom. ;D But yes, still a talking Llama - in fact, I recently bought I <3 LLAMAS stickers. :3 That aside, you creeper! How do you know if I'm the day's top poster! *checks* Oh right, I see that thing. Do you honestly check it everyday? :mellow: I've clicked it three or four times, maybe. See you somewhere on the streets of Singapore! xD

@Tynach: Slow-downs is the word for it! Anyway, answer time!

1. Do you use Photoshop (and are you unwilling to go through some admittedly painful and technically challenging hoops to get it installed, as well as unwilling to use something like Gimp instead)?
    Ehhh, no.
    What, I hate IE.
    No. No PC games. Mostly just online flash ones.
  4. Do you use any other programs that absolutely NEED Windows, and there are no other viable alternatives to that program (e.g. MS Office -> OpenOffice/LibreOffice, 3D Studio Max -> Blender)?
    Okay. Microsoft office cannot be compromised with OpenOffice. Not for me. I haven't tried LibreOffice, though. For the record, though, I'd die without Word.

We had a really really old laptop that ran on Ubuntu. We hated it. :P And then my dad pulled out this system that could run windows on ubuntu by making the computer believe it was a Windows based computer. Or something like that. You know Sun Microsystems? They were bought for around 7.4bil a few years back. He used to work there, and he was one of the people who worked to develop the software. I have no idea what it's called, though, I can find out and check back with you later.

I hear lots about Linux, but I guess the main reason we don't want to change is the CHANGE. It's like the Facebook changes now. Everyone's up in arms about it, but it's only because it's a change. In a few months people will settle down and love it and then be up in arms again about a new change - that only makes it better. Jeez. I don't mind change, I don't care, so long as I can still use the net. (And word, or an equal program.) But my sister would kill me, so.

You just summarized exactly what I do on the net. I'll look into it, thanks much for the advice!

@Ain: Awwwwh I'll miss you too! :) But FYI, I'm Blossom. ;D But yes, still a talking Llama - in fact, I recently bought I <3 LLAMAS stickers. :3 That aside, you creeper! How do you know if I'm the day's top poster! *checks* Oh right, I see that thing. Do you honestly check it everyday? :mellow: I've clicked it three or four times, maybe. See you somewhere on the streets of Singapore! xD

I guess Blossom reminds me of you possibly being hyper all the time! Me want to see your llama stickers! :D Yup. Because I. Am. A. Stalker! :D

Meh. How can I find you if I don't even know what you look like?! By chance! Maybe so. :D

@Tynach: Slow-downs is the word for it! Anyway, answer time!

Ehhh, no.
    What, I hate IE.
    No. No PC games. Mostly just online flash ones.
    Okay. Microsoft office cannot be compromised with OpenOffice. Not for me. I haven't tried LibreOffice, though. For the record, though, I'd die without Word.

We had a really really old laptop that ran on Ubuntu. We hated it. :P And then my dad pulled out this system that could run windows on ubuntu by making the computer believe it was a Windows based computer. Or something like that. You know Sun Microsystems? They were bought for around 7.4bil a few years back. He used to work there, and he was one of the people who worked to develop the software. I have no idea what it's called, though, I can find out and check back with you later.

I hear lots about Linux, but I guess the main reason we don't want to change is the CHANGE. It's like the Facebook changes now. Everyone's up in arms about it, but it's only because it's a change. In a few months people will settle down and love it and then be up in arms again about a new change - that only makes it better. Jeez. I don't mind change, I don't care, so long as I can still use the net. (And word, or an equal program.) But my sister would kill me, so.

You just summarized exactly what I do on the net. I'll look into it, thanks much for the advice!

Oh, you mean Virtualbox? Or do you mean Wine? Virtualbox basically acts like one of those game system emulators so you can play Metroid on your PC, except it emulates another PC to run inside your PC in something called "Virtualization". Wine is a nifty little... Nobody knows what to call it, and those who claim to know don't know what they're talking about... Thing. It runs Windows programs inside Linux. Without emulation or virtualization.

So your dad worked at Sun? Wow! That's actually really cool. Oracle is the one that bought them out - which I'm not so sure about. Oracle is mostly Open Source friendly, but not entirely... Making a lot of people really unsure about the future of Java, MySQL, Virtualbox, and a few others. I was really rooting for Google buying out Sun - they would have put the technology to better use. Though Oracle is awesome for developing Btrfs (new filesystem, yay)! But they seem really slow to release it at a good enough quality for regular usage :/

Ubuntu is a bit of a fast-moving target right now. The version released in April 2011 was almost considered experimental with the new user interface, and the newest version - released in October 2011 - is more of a 'what it should have been'. But it's still considered a little unstable. They're changing things around quite rapidly, getting ready for their 'super-stable "Long Term Support"' release, which will be available in April 2012. It's also not really recommended on really old hardware... They've even dropped support for floppy drives now, and it requires I think 1 GB of RAM to install from the standard LiveCD - for the lightweight 'Xubuntu', 512 MB is required... So that is recommended for low-end machines.

Microsoft Word, does run on Linux under Wine - but it's a bit of a hassle getting it to work, I hear. I've not tried it myself. LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice ever since Sun was bought by Oracle (which you know about, yay). They've added in better printing support, and better support for Word documents (it can open them up more accurately now and whatnot). What I do is dual-boot - If I NEED something that runs only in Windows, I boot into Windows; otherwise I go on Linux. I find myself mostly in Linux because of this, and now that Portal 2 runs in Wine flawlessly and without hassle, I rarely go into Windows. Of course, I don't mind using OpenOffice/LibreOffice instead of MS office... But I can understand why you'd want to stick to MS Office instead.

Here is a rundown of running Office inside of Linux under Wine. Apparently the Office 2010 32-bit is 'Bronze', and former versions are 'Silver'.

Soooo I was never really REALLY gone, but I was absent from many of the topics, which I haven't been since two months ago.

BUT GUESS WHO'S GOT HER PC IN WORKING ORDERRRRRR BOOYAH. /HAPPYSPAMTIME

Okay yeah. So I'm gonna prowl around the forum now. :> Goot bai.