"Succeeding" at Neopets?

Rommy

Hey all. So I am here at work and it is a slow day so I have been fooling around on Neopets of course.

I have been spending the day just looking at accounts far far more successful than me. Some of them have only been around for a mere fraction of my own...and yet they have billions more neopoints than me (despite daily habi), oodles of more trophies, and much successful looking pets.

I like to think I have done a good job, having painted pets including a draik, an eyrie that is being constantly trained (I started a few months ago even though he is years old), and a random grouping of site and game trophies.

Compared to all these people with 400 avatars, 50 painted and rare pets over multiple side accounts (an exaggeration but you get the idea), and ever elusive trophies like the collecting-related ones and others like contests though....I feel utterly inadequate, as if I could be doing better.

My question for you is....what do you think a successful neopets account looks like? If you read my wall of text, you could see I think a great one is one with billions of np, a wall covered in trophies, a great background, and great pets. Is this just a dumb vision?

I wish I was more active with my account in its early days. There are so many avatars that are now unobtainable and so many long-over plots I never participated in due to my lack of knowledge about the game in my earlier years.

I've never really set my mind as to what a successful Neopets account is. Because to me, it's simply an online game that is meant to be for stress relief, not to be stressed over. However, I do admit that I've goals and such, but merely to keep my gaming experience fun, not to compete with anyone.

Since I don't share most of my interests with the majority of Neopets players in things such as collecting avatars, trophies, galleries and so on, I don't find the need to compete or prove my success to anyone. I only pay attention to earning Neopoints, paint all my pets, and pamper them with customization, education or the like. I don't know why I'm only interested in those (except for collecting NPs - I've an obsession with money of any form), but I just do.

tl;dr - My definition of success is fulfilling personal goals, everyone should be proud of what they've achieved whether or not other people do IMO. And you deserve to give yourself a pat in the back too, your achievements are worthy of being praised. :)

A lot of things like success is in the eye of the beholder, and is often a comparison between player to player. If everyone's lookup was filled with trophies, avatars, and all sorts of signs of success, then players will continually declare that a successful account is something greater, something unique, and more difficult to obtain.

In economics, there is something called the fallacy of composition: "What is good for 1 person, may not be good for everyone". If everyone earned 100k/day, then a successful player would be someone capable of earning much more than 100k/day. Simply put, the player earning 100k/day would become the average player. If you could time travel into the past, and say you started an account on year 1 of neopets, 100k then is worth a lot more than 100k now. Because players are getting smarter/more efficient, and because there are different outlets of gaining np, the value of np continually diminishes.

What I'm trying to say is this: the definition of a successful player in society's eye is always changing, and is often valued by the perception of other players.

For myself, I don`t really have an old account, and there really isn`t much to say that I`m super successful. For myself, success is competing in keyquest and scoring high win ratios while having habi running :D .

I agree with you - when I see and account with so many avatars, trophies, gallery full of PBs or expensive items I think the same. And how lame I am, considering my account is almost 5 years old haha :D But if I had an account like this, with billions of NPs I think I'd be bored :) I wouldn't have to play games anymore cause I wouldn't need the NPs. All my goals would be easy-achievable and it wouldn't be as fun as it is now :)

So even though sometimes I wonder how nice it would be to have billions and billions of NPs, I'm happy with my current account and achievements.

The definition of "successful" is going to differ from player to player depending on what their individual goals are. A lot of people would share your idea of what being successful means - avatars, trophies, money - because a lot of people share those goals. But if someone's only goal was to, say, collect all the rotten driftwood in Neopia, then having no avatars or trophies and just a safety deposit box full of driftwood would be successful for them. And if someone set about getting a bunch of avatars and trophies just because they thought it would impress other people, and didn't enjoy doing/having any of them, I wouldn't consider it successful. Neopets is supposed to be fun, after all.

I guess what I'm getting at is, relaxing, having fun, and doing whatever you think is worthwhile is the best way to "succeed" at Neopets.

(My own personal goal: Lots and lots of money. I want to do things like customize my pets, get more avatars and win some trophies, but mostly I want to see a long string of zeros in my bank account. :laughingsmiley: )

to me it's avatars, trophies, galleries, and shops and even the layout. when you have a layout showing all your pets that have clothes and backgrounds on, it doesn't matter if you are a month old if you take care of your account i think that's successful

I see successful accounts as:

Someone who has 300+ avatars

Walls of trophies

At least one Draik/Krawk or a qt pet wearing NC (A.K.A. Baby Aisha with a Baby Candy Corn Hat)

Someone who can Kad

30mil+

An amazing gallery

Items worth more than 5mil in their SDB

That is my view of a super successful account. Some things might be missing but anything that fits around 3 or 4 of them at least I consider good. I am on the AC so I am poor. :P

I fit 0 of those! XD

I'm not going to go into the "why what success is differs from person to person" spiel, because I think pretty much everything has already been said.

For me, success on neopets would be getting to the stage where you have enough to help others instead of constantly helping yourself.

I've never really liked the idea of having a bank account with a heap of zeros after a number (except to get the highest interest rate), because I'd be constantly checking on it to make sure I hadn't been CG'd or hacked. That's also the reason that I'm happy having a small collection of trophies instead of aiming for OMG EVERYSINGLETROPHIEONNEOPIA!!!!11! Ditto avatars - honestly, it's just a number. It's not as if there's even a way to display all of them. Double ditto D/UC/Ks - no offence to people who like them, but I don't like the way draiks and krawks look. As far as UC goes, sure it'd be cool to have one, but I think it's time to let go - and again, I would be devastated to get an UC pet to have someone CG my account and transfer it away. Besides, who needs the stress of physically getting all this stuff?

I'd also say success is getting to the stage where you can break away from the mob-psychology of what success is and figure out what it is for you - which for me is having nicely customised pets with thought out stories and original(ish) pet pages and lookups. And a couple of NT trophies wouldn't hurt :)

To me, a successful account is someone who actually takes care of their account. Completed look ups (user/pet), decorated and fed pets, active in site events and just enjoying the site in general make me think they're successful because they are clearly showing off how happy and proud they are of what they have accomplished so far.

Cheers to that!

I would be devastated to get an UC pet to have someone CG my account and transfer it away.

Since this is an active problem, TNT usually reverses trades so you can get your pet back :) (I've seen it happen more often than not, especially to several acquaintances)

There is no one true definition of Neopets success. To me it is not the trophies, galleries, avatars, or species of the pets, or even the customisation: it's how the person plays. There are way too many "successful" accounts with billions of NPs, beautiful layouts, all the trophies and avatars in Neopia; rare and painted pets, beautifully customised with expensive items, and all with expensive petpets - yet none of the Neopets are happy. Buzzkill. This shows that the owner cares nore about NPs than her pets., and I say a mroe successful player cares more about their pets than anything else. For me, it doesn't matter how many NPs you have in the bank, or how many avatars and trophies you have, just the look on your pet's faces. I'd rather see a happy Green Kacheek than a miserable Royal Draik.

So when I see accounts like that I feel superior, because at least MY pets are happy! Now that is real success....to this player.

I see successful accounts as those that have pets that are happy, and that they love.

That's it, really. As long as you enjoy the game, you please because you love it, and you keep your pets happy, the amount of trophies, neopoints, items, avatars you have don't really matter.

I just found an account 11 months old with 4 Draiks (Zombie, Maractite, Desert & Island), an expensive petpet gallery & more than 200 avatars and felt a bit like a failure :) I admired it for half an hour ..

I think that a "successful" account would consist of...really, anything that you think makes yourself successful.

For example, you could have millions upon millions of Neopoints, a bunch of trophies, D/UC/Ks, a complete gallery, an almost-complete avatar collection and consider yourself unsuccessful... or you could have only a few hundred thousand Neopoints, little to no trophies, one or two expensively painted/morphed/customised pets, an incomplete gallery and ~150 avatars and consider yourself to be successful.

I'm somewhere in between and I would definitely consider myself unsuccessful in most areas of Neopets (trophies, game scores, avatar collecting...), but I'm not on Neopets to be successful. I'm there to have fun and that's all that matters.

I think it all depends on your personal goals and what you are/would be proud of. For example, I'm saving to get my dream customizations at the moment. Later, I'll get some user and pet lookups. Once I do all that, I'll feel pretty accomplished. People might look at my low-level pets and my low avvie count and think "n00b!," but I simply don't care about BDing or ACing.

I think a successful account depends entirely on what the user defines as successful. Someone could look at my account and nitpick it and say it isn't "successful", but to me, I'm pretty content with what I've got. For instance, you don't often see Neopain Times CHAMPION!! trophies on accounts that have an insane amount of them, and it does kinda make me feel better knowing that I've got a trophy/avatar(s) that they could potentially never achieve.

Successful accounts to me varies between everyone: all of us have different goals and dreams of what we want to achieve on Neopets, neither 2 can be the same... so it really depends on the person on what he or she wants to achieve. And someone who takes pride in playing Neopets obviously. :D

i think being successful on neopets is having alot of neoppoints, ultra rare bd equipment and items liek faerie queen doll and such and having limited edition painted pets.

but tbh i dont really mind not having that because im more then happy to just trundle along at the bottom rung of neopets as TNT can take everything away without so much as a good explanation so you shouldn't stress about it too much.

Although I've mentioned that all you need to do is enjoy, the game, I have a point to add to that:

I've read through everything all of you guys have posted, and lots of you require NPs/items.

I feel that if you were talking about monetary success, then:

- 100mil NPs

- All pets limited edition/loved/well named.

- A HUGE gallery of same-themed items.

- Trophies in at LEAST 15 games.

- On the list of top avvie collectors. :D