Why would neopets have a problem with this.

Father of Tripets

Okay I am the father of ten year old triplets. I was asking a question yesterday regarding my children's accounts. I was wondering if they could each make a separate account or team up and create one themselves. Anyways I found out that each much make a separate account and I can understand this is because if they share an account one can get rid of the other's pets if they are angry.

Anyways if I allow my children to play on neopets I would be basically having access to their username and password. That way I can control when they play and how long they play for. I was told that I would have to create separate emails for them. Again I would have their password to control when they sign on to their emails. I was told that they have to know their own password and create their accounts themselves. Some people tell me that in this case neopets staff would not find a problem, but I had one person telling me that neopets would have a problem because my children are not allowed to tell their password to anyone. I mean come on the only reason I have their password would be to control when they log in but also to control what they are viewing, what information they are giving ect. I would not be trying to scam them or do something to hurt their accounts. We are talking about ten year old kids. here. So who is correct would neopets staff have a problem with this or would this be an exception>

Question: Why would they have to know that you know their password?

Here are the relevant rules, as far as I know:

1) You cannot have more than one person on an account. However, you aren't planning to earn np or make any account decisions, so it's not an issue for you.

2) NEVER EVER EVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORD! But still, you ARE their parent trying to supervise. Although I'm not sure what you're saying...are you saying your child wouldn't know their own password? That's a little iffy.

Question: Why would they have to know that you know their password?

Here are the relevant rules, as far as I know:

1) You cannot have more than one person on an account. However, you aren't planning to earn np or make any account decisions, so it's not an issue for you.

2) NEVER EVER EVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORD! But still, you ARE their parent trying to supervise. Although I'm not sure what you're saying...are you saying your child wouldn't know their own password? That's a little iffy.

They won't know their own password so they can't log on unsupervised. IF you had children you would not find that iffy.

They won't know their own password so they can't log on unsupervised. IF you had children you would not find that iffy.

Why would it be "iffy" this is just a case where a father is monitoring their child and making it so that they are with the child all the time when they are online. It is called good parenting. Better than those parents who let their children run around unsupervised scamming and harassing other users. This father is doing the right thing. Nothing iffy about this. Now this person were claiming to be the father and asking for the children's passwords saying the children made an account without his permission and he needed their password that would be iffy. There is a big difference between getting someone's password to scam and getting someone's password to monitor an underaged child. Even if TNT knew that the father had their password and they did not and he logged on they would not find a problem with this. If they do than they need to renew their rules when it comes with under 13 children. The never give out your password there is a big difference in giving your password to a friend or sibling than giving your password, or having your children give their password to you to control access. The father is not going to steal his kids items, he is doing it to keep them safe. Nothing iffy about that and TNT would make an exception in this case.

Why would it make a difference, if there are different emails then nobody would know who is typing the passwords. If it was questioned you just explain that your children each have their own account. I don't see why it would cause problems, hope it works out for ya!

Why would it make a difference, if there are different emails then nobody would know who is typing the passwords. If it was questioned you just explain that your children each have their own account. I don't see why it would cause problems, hope it works out for ya!

Understandable, but still, the kids are being denied THEIR OWN PASSWORDS. That is, most likely, a good solution, but blocking the website might be a better solution, as account info is very important. Having to have 1 person be there when I want to log in to type in my password seems very mean (for a lack of better terms). I'm sure there's a setting out there that would just let him block/unblock Neopets.com as he pleases from his computer to the IP Address...

Still, children should at least know their own password, it's their account own right?

You could supervise them from afar, so that they could have a little privacy too. But if you rather think otherwise, it's fine by me. :)

I meant in terms of neopets rules, it's iffy. I'm sorry, but you asked the question, so I answered.

And while I have never given birth, as a teacher I have to be stricter on discipline than parents. They're with me more of their hours awake. I've had 80 hour work weeks of working with students with disabilities. I have to be far more of a supervisor than 80% of parents--and I have to do that with multiple students at once. Please don't use the "you wouldn't know; you're not a parent" argument with me, because you've never taught special ed, so I could easily turn that around and say YOU wouldn't know. However, the mothers who teach special ed would know...and they know that teaching special ed is harder.

Cheers!

I meant in terms of neopets rules, it's iffy. I'm sorry, but you asked the question, so I answered.

And while I have never given birth, as a teacher I have to be stricter on discipline than parents. They're with me more of their hours awake.

Sorry I did not know that you meant that neopets would find that iffy. Anyways to avoid double posting I will address someone elses point. They say that children have the right to know their passwords. However this means that they can log on at school and at the library without being watched closely and I have heard of a case where a man lured a 12 year old girl on neopets and kidnapped her. I know it is not facebook but neopets still has its dangers. I even heard of cases where people ask children for suggestive pictures promising neopoints and other items in return. It is not them I don't trust it is the wacko's out there I don't trust.

I don't know why people are telling him how to raise his kid. If he does not want them to know their password or whatever it is HIS children.

Yes, but depending on your interpretation of the relevant neopets rules, it COULD be against the rules. We're not telling him how to raise his kid. We're telling him opinions and facts about one aspect that--as people who have played the site--we would know about.

In the end, I don't think there's any way TNT would know, so do it if you feel it's necessary.

EDIT:

"Anyways to avoid double posting I will address someone elses point. They say that children have the right to know their passwords. However this means that they can log on at school and at the library without being watched closely and I have heard of a case where a man lured a 12 year old girl on neopets and kidnapped her. I know it is not facebook but neopets still has its dangers. I even heard of cases where people ask children for suggestive pictures promising neopoints and other items in return. It is not them I don't trust it is the wacko's out there I don't trust. "

--Just so you know, every school computer I know of (from the four schools I have worked at in two states) blocks neopets. Libraries, yes, you can be worried.

One other thing, though--did you give written permission for your kids to use the website? If so, then they CANNOT use the neoboards, so they're very safe. If they lied and said they were thirteen, then you should be concerned.

@Karina: Agreed completely, and hey, my mom teaches autistic kids ^_^

@Father of Triplets: I'm sorry, but I COMPLETELY disagree with you. I have been with my local library and schools on computers for about 6 YEARS now (i'm a freashman). Now, this may be different for their schools, but mine have strict filters. It's blocked. Even so, any admin can access EVERYTHING done on my computer, including web history. Also, why would they log on in school? As for the library, anybody under 13 needs parental supervision to go on a computer. Every card has an account, meaning, I'm guessing the library could access my history if my mom wanted them to. Trust me, they need to know the passwords eventually...

Okay I am the father of ten year old triplets. I was asking a question yesterday regarding my children's accounts. I was wondering if they could each make a separate account or team up and create one themselves. Anyways I found out that each much make a separate account and I can understand this is because if they share an account one can get rid of the other's pets if they are angry.

Anyways if I allow my children to play on neopets I would be basically having access to their username and password. That way I can control when they play and how long they play for. I was told that I would have to create separate emails for them. Again I would have their password to control when they sign on to their emails. I was told that they have to know their own password and create their accounts themselves. Some people tell me that in this case neopets staff would not find a problem, but I had one person telling me that neopets would have a problem because my children are not allowed to tell their password to anyone. I mean come on the only reason I have their password would be to control when they log in but also to control what they are viewing, what information they are giving ect. I would not be trying to scam them or do something to hurt their accounts. We are talking about ten year old kids. here. So who is correct would neopets staff have a problem with this or would this be an exception>

As far as your original question goes, as long as each account is under a different email address and registered to a different child, you should be completely fine. As it was pointed out, there's no way for someone to see who is actually logging into the account. If you type in the password, then the child plays, that's fine. You're their parent, after all.

And to ease some of your concerns, neopets is really great about making the site child-safe. Especially if the accounts are created properly (i.e the right age is entered for the child using it), they are only allowed to access areas of the site that are child appropriate and require a parental consent form filled out to access certain parts of the site (mail, chats, games based on "gambling", etc)

I also think it's great that you take the care to monitor your child's time online (even though no one really asked for my opinion xD)

@Karina: Agreed completely, and hey, my mom teaches autistic kids ^_^

@Father of Triplets: I'm sorry, but I COMPLETELY disagree with you. I have been with my local library and schools on computers for about 6 YEARS now (i'm a freashman). Now, this may be different for their schools, but mine have strict filters. It's blocked. Even so, any admin can access EVERYTHING done on my computer, including web history. Also, why would they log on in school? As for the library, anybody under 13 needs parental supervision to go on a computer. Every card has an account, meaning, I'm guessing the library could access my history if my mom wanted them to. Trust me, they need to know the passwords eventually...

If you don't mind my asking freshman in highschool or college?

xD Well, technically, by posting here (in help), he is kinda asking for our opinions, especially because of the nature of his question...

The difference is, is that he's asking if his children's accounts would be in danger if he knew their password, not if you agree with how he chooses to keep his children safe online. o_O

I don't think Neopets would have an issue with you knowing their password, I'm sure they encourage parents being knowledgeable and active in their child(ren)'s online life.

If anything, to double check, you could submit a ticket and ask them directly. :)

highschool :P 3 years in intermediate school, 2 years in middle, now 1 in high (ack, i dont think i posted a single post without editing it to be purple today...this is gonna be a long 30 days)

Well I still disagree with your posts about my children not knowing their passwords. However I must say from my what I have seen online your method of disagreement are much more mature than older member's disagreement. I won't mention any usernames but one user on neopets accused me of child abuse and being a bad mean parent because I am giving them little freedom online and restricting their online access.

The difference is, is that he's asking if his children's accounts would be in danger if he knew their password, not if you agree with how he chooses to keep his children safe online. o_O

I don't think Neopets would have an issue with you knowing their password, I'm sure they encourage parents being knowledgeable and active in their child(ren)'s online life.

If anything, to double check, you could submit a ticket and ask them directly. :)

I guess everyone has a different point in view of this. We are looking into this at a parents point of view, and not that his views are right or wrong "The Purple Monster" is a highschool freshman and looking at this in the point of a 13-15 year old.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

xD Yeah, I rarely go on Neoboards outside of my guild because I just don't like them...well, either way, I guess I stated my opinion, and in the end, you make the descision (I guess this went a little past your question anyway...) and I respect that 0:). Well, either way, welcome to TDN!

ETA: Hmm...I guess you're right in that respect also, as I'm just a freshman. The cerebral cortex won't fully develop for 11 more years, after all...

Well I still disagree with your posts about my children not knowing their passwords. However I must say from my what I have seen online your method of disagreement are much more mature than older member's disagreement. I won't mention any usernames but one user on neopets accused me of child abuse and being a bad mean parent because I am giving them little freedom online and restricting their online access.

The evolution of child abuse is interesting, don't you think? Parents used to be able to whip their kids with a switch and do all sorts of things, but it was only child abuse if the kid suffered permanent damage. (Not a fan of this view.) Then it evolved into any physical punishment other than occasional spanking being child abuse. (This is pretty much how I was raised.) Now it has gotten to the point where children are so spoiled and entitled that they will call CPS on their parents if the parent denies them a certain gift. Sadly, I had a few of these as students. I also had some where I had to call CPS because of actual threats the parents made that I was ACTUALLY concerned about.

The evolution of child abuse is interesting, don't you think? Parents used to be able to whip their kids with a switch and do all sorts of things, but it was only child abuse if the kid suffered permanent damage. Then it evolved into any physical punishment other than occasional spanking being child abuse. Now it has gotten to the point where children are so spoiled and entitled that they will call CPS on their parents if the parent denies them a certain gift. Sadly, I had a few of these as students. I also had some where I had to call CPS because of actual threats the parents made that I was ACTUALLY concerned about.

XD OK, not to be offtopic, but save that for the debate forum :P (Even still, I agree with you on that)

ETA: hmm...the topics dead? What, did my scientific/health knowledge scare you all off? :P

OT: I have learnt interesting things about many people here today! :D

But I'm just here to add in my input:

I think it's actually absolutely okay. In my family, my brother's account's password is known by me and my mom. The reason is because although she set the password, she always forgets it. :P Also, it's easier when he wants to log and and she's not at home. The reason why, though, he's not allowed to have his own password is because he's only 10. Yes, I know that 10 might be considered old, but in our family, not old enough for responsible computer usage! Especially because he is in Primary school and thus has a whole lot of free time.... and he goes on to the computer to "do his homework". My mom definitely knows it's not always homework she's doing, but he might actually have, so she allows him. Although the computer is in the Living room, it faces a wall, e.g Nobody can see what's on it. "Then why don't you change the position?" We can't xD There's already another computer on the other side, the one that "belongs" to my sister. He doesn't use that. Anyway, not the point.

If he had his Neopets password, there is no doubt he would go straight on to it. He wouldn't do any homework. And his "computer homework" would increase in DRASTIC amounts. The main thing he wants to do, is go on neopets. However, he's only allowed to go on to the computer AFTER he finishes his homework. Because he has nothing much to do on the computer except play little random games, right now, he actually does. However, if he were to have full access to his password, there is no doubt in my mind that he would say that he finished his homework, even if he did not. He actually used to have his password, but was sneakily going on, and the fifth or so time he got caught, his privileges were taken away,

Basically, at that age, he wouldn't be able to understand why studying and work is important to him. He doesn't care. And because me mom and I can't monitor him whenever he is on the computer, he just doesn't get his password, because it would not allow him access to it! And it would not allow him to give it to others, either. :) I promise though, I don't steal stuff from him! I never have. I rather earn it myself, makes me happier. :)

Why don't we block it? To put it simply, my mom isnt really THE computer genius. She doesn't know how to attach files to her mail, doesn't know how to open a new tab, doesn't know how to work the new Yahoo! email. Plus, our computers are SUPER laggy. Adding one more program to it, and one she/we don't know how to use, isn't very practical.

And to add to what Karina said about teaching in two states and neopets always being blocked: It's blocked here, in Singapore, too. :P

All in all, this is what we do, it can be what you do. It's up to you, really. Keep in mind other options, but if you want to go ahead with what you already have, then do! Whatever response neopets has to it though, I don't know, but I don't think that they really can find fault with a parent wanting to monitor his kid.

On a side note and completely off topic: You have triplets! COOOOOL! :D