RIP grandpa

Russ

My grandpa's been sick for a while because of some generic old-people disease, I think some type of cancer but i'm not really sure. Seeing as how he's 82 it's probably just body failing in general. But he's been sick and in and out of the hospital for a few months, right now he's doing really bad and he'll probably be gone later today, I'm at the hospital presently in one of the lobbies using their wireless. He's been saying what he wants done at his funeral and my family's written his obituary.

It is pretty sad if I think about it because he was always a really great, light-hearted guy, definitely one of the best people in my family. He's had a long run, he was an awesome guy and he's really accepting of the inevitability of his death because it's just a part of life and he believes that he'll be in a better place.

I am sorry that you are going through this. He lived a long life, and he will be better without having to suffer. I offer my condolences in this hard time and I truly hope you and your family only the best Russ.

It's always worse when they're suffering before they go. My grandmother recently passed away, but it was a swift aneurysm that immediately did so much brain damage, she never felt a thing and passed away a few hours later. She was almost 82. Obviously, I'm not happy that she's gone, but since she had to leave, I'm glad it was as painless as it was.

Whereas my husband's grandmother in Italy passed away earlier this year, and he was almost glad that she was gone, because every time she talked to him for the last ten years, it really sounded like she was suffering.

I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather is sick and probably passing away. I hope, at least, that his funeral is as awesome as my grandmother's was. (Seriously, funerals with hilarious but respectful jokes are the BEST.)

I'm not sure what his plans for the funeral are but I'm sure he'd appreciate it being relatively lighthearted. Earlier my older sister was in the room with him and he said "Lean in close to me, I want to tell you a secret I've never told you". So she did, and he said to her "I bet this is the first time you've been in bed with an 82-year-old man before."

EDIT: He's currently on tons of morphine and in a drug-induced sleep from which he probably won't wake up, which is what he wanted and was asking for, so at least he's going peacefully.

Best wishes go out to you and your family. Not to steal words from Dumbledore, but I truly believe death is the chance for a new beginning, one in a better place. <3

I don't really know whether I believe in an afterlife - certainly not one of any organized religion - but whatever brings people comfort.

He just died like 5-10 minutes ago :/ He lived a long and awesome life and provided a lot of laughs, he was always a great guy and one of the few people in my family who was really just a sincerely good person.

EDIT: I'm now home from the hospital. It's still weird to think of him as actually being dead because the last thing that one would associate with him was a sad mood in any way, he was always joking and I rarely ever saw him upset. He made the majority of his own funeral arrangements, he wants to be cremated and have his ashes mixed with those of his dog Nike who was his best friend and died a few years ago, and we're probably going to spread some of them in a lake up at Minnesota where he owned a cabin and he went all the time, it was a huge part of his life and he was a huge part of the community in that area.

It sounds like he was at peace and accepted death. People say it's harder for the ones left behind. I've heard that as people age, death becomes less scary for them and is simply a fact of like, like eating or sleeping.

Best wishes are coming your way from every direction. Try to remember the good times and keep your chin up

I used to remember when my grandmother died almost a decade ago, and losing your grandfather was a terrible loss for you Russ.

Like everyone else, I hope that things will turn out great in the future with you and your family.

A family member lost is always a blow to the heart. Your grandpa sounds like an amazing old man - I'm sure he lived everybit of his life to the fullest. He left with his loved ones around him, and your family was probably the most important thing to him.

All the best to getting through this tough time... we're always here...

I'm so sorry Russ. It's hard to see any of your loved ones go, but I guess that's how life goes. Everyone is born into this world to lead a good life, cherish every moment that they could grab on. Your grandpa must have been really lucky to have you guys.

All the best for you and your family, and more importantly, stay strong Russ. :)

• 3 weeks later...