Music Playing Tips?

The Score in Blue

So I've just started learning guitar, by myself. I'm now having trouble forming chords properly on my classical guitar, I can barely reach but chord posture is pretty port.

Does anyone have tips for a learning noob like me?

It's going to be hard at first because your hands just aren't used to moving like that. The More you do it, the more natural it feels and the easier it becomes. Doesn't hurt to have someone who plays give you a few pointers. Sometimes they can show you easier ways of doing things. A friend who plays, or even taking a lesson or two for the basics can be a big help

I'm self-learning, too. :)

I have a classical, and a folk. The folk one sounds sooooooo amazing but metal strings HURT.

We can have a discussion here! I love discussions. :)

Anyway, one site that helped me ALOT was this - ultimate guitar.

It is the most amazing thing ever x_x Just search a song, and you'll get lyrics, plus chords! And if you want to know how to play a chord, just hover over the chord e.g Hover over the "A" and the finger placement for it will come out. You also can also transpose it to a slightly easier chords to play. The transpose button is auto and on the page, too. Do you learn music? If you do, it'll be easier for you - I started with no musical background at all. :) If you're just starting out, the easier chords to play are E, Em, C, G, D, A, Am and other things that don't involve barring (still can't manage that) or using your fourth finger. I hate using my fourth finger because it's exceptionally short in comparaism to all my other fingers - not the normal short, abnormally short. So I can't do a Bm. :P (Involves barring and in some cases, fourth finger)

If you JUST started, then some hints - sorry if I'm treating you like a baby beginner, thats cause it's how I started :P

You should know what frets, capos and all are, right? I like Capos. :) Remember to bar the right frets when playing, or it'll be all... blegh. Urm.... if you're self learning, you should know that finger one is your pointer. And then second, third, fourth, is middle, ring, pinky. The strings go from one to six, one-three is treble, four to six is bass. Counting starts from the bottom, so the lowest string(closet to your leg if you play sitting) is string one. The string with the highest note. And when reading chords with finger placements, the bottom is always the top. So the thing is reversed. So to any chord on ultimate guitar and you'll see. You also note that they indicate the pointer as 1st finger? In some other things though, they indicate it as the second finger. So it's important to MEMORISE the finger placements (it'll come naturally :) ) or you'll get mixed up.

Also, if you're using UG, when searching- Bands = Artists, and Tabs = chords, or tabs. If you can read tabs, then go for tabs. I only read chords, so can't help you there. Once you go there and search you'll understand completely, I promise!

When you play, you'll also find out that your finger tips will start huuuuuurting. Cause you have to keep pressing down on the strings. That's what happening to me. Then the skin tore and toughened, so it's easier to play now. Another tip is to - if you didn't already know - play with your thumb and forefinger pressed together. Play downward with your forefinger, and when you play upward shift your thumb forward a little - it's easier. To get the strumming pattern for a song, listen to it. You'll get it.

Good luck, if anything was unclear, do ask, and if I sound like a know-it-all, I'm not, I just started myself.

Goot Lark! :D

Keep learning those chords :P Practice makes perfect, and soon enough your hand will be used to making more awkward chords. xD

Thank you Noog!

It's going to be hard at first because your hands just aren't used to moving like that. The More you do it, the more natural it feels and the easier it becomes. Doesn't hurt to have someone who plays give you a few pointers. Sometimes they can show you easier ways of doing things. A friend who plays, or even taking a lesson or two for the basics can be a big help

Good plan! I need to ask a few friends to show me a few pointers then.

I'm self-learning, too. :)I have a classical, and a folk. The folk one sounds sooooooo amazing but metal strings HURT.We can have a discussion here! I love discussions. :)Anyway, one site that helped me ALOT was this - ultimate guitar.It is the most amazing thing ever x_x Just search a song, and you'll get lyrics, plus chords! And if you want to know how to play a chord, just hover over the chord e.g Hover over the "A" and the finger placement for it will come out. You also can also transpose it to a slightly easier chords to play. The transpose button is auto and on the page, too. Do you learn music? If you do, it'll be easier for you - I started with no musical background at all. :) If you're just starting out, the easier chords to play are E, Em, C, G, D, A, Am and other things that don't involve barring (still can't manage that) or using your fourth finger. I hate using my fourth finger because it's exceptionally short in comparaism to all my other fingers - not the normal short, abnormally short. So I can't do a Bm. :P (Involves barring and in some cases, fourth finger)If you JUST started, then some hints - sorry if I'm treating you like a baby beginner, thats cause it's how I started :PYou should know what frets, capos and all are, right? I like Capos. :) Remember to bar the right frets when playing, or it'll be all... blegh. Urm.... if you're self learning, you should know that finger one is your pointer. And then second, third, fourth, is middle, ring, pinky. The strings go from one to six, one-three is treble, four to six is bass. Counting starts from the bottom, so the lowest string(closet to your leg if you play sitting) is string one. The string with the highest note. And when reading chords with finger placements, the bottom is always the top. So the thing is reversed. So to any chord on ultimate guitar and you'll see. You also note that they indicate the pointer as 1st finger? In some other things though, they indicate it as the second finger. So it's important to MEMORISE the finger placements (it'll come naturally :) ) or you'll get mixed up.Also, if you're using UG, when searching- Bands = Artists, and Tabs = chords, or tabs. If you can read tabs, then go for tabs. I only read chords, so can't help you there. Once you go there and search you'll understand completely, I promise!When you play, you'll also find out that your finger tips will start huuuuuurting. Cause you have to keep pressing down on the strings. That's what happening to me. Then the skin tore and toughened, so it's easier to play now. Another tip is to - if you didn't already know - play with your thumb and forefinger pressed together. Play downward with your forefinger, and when you play upward shift your thumb forward a little - it's easier. To get the strumming pattern for a song, listen to it. You'll get it.Good luck, if anything was unclear, do ask, and if I sound like a know-it-all, I'm not, I just started myself.Goot Lark! :D

Thanks Sweetdang! I know my musical terminology and stuff (I play piano), but it's great, thanks for the recommendation of some websites.

I actually need to go buy a pick now. :D

I'm self-learning, too. :)

I have a classical, and a folk. The folk one sounds sooooooo amazing but metal strings HURT.

We can have a discussion here! I love discussions. :)

Anyway, one site that helped me ALOT was this - ultimate guitar.

It is the most amazing thing ever x_x Just search a song, and you'll get lyrics, plus chords! And if you want to know how to play a chord, just hover over the chord e.g Hover over the "A" and the finger placement for it will come out. You also can also transpose it to a slightly easier chords to play. The transpose button is auto and on the page, too. Do you learn music? If you do, it'll be easier for you - I started with no musical background at all. :) If you're just starting out, the easier chords to play are E, Em, C, G, D, A, Am and other things that don't involve barring (still can't manage that) or using your fourth finger. I hate using my fourth finger because it's exceptionally short in comparaism to all my other fingers - not the normal short, abnormally short. So I can't do a Bm. :P (Involves barring and in some cases, fourth finger)

If you JUST started, then some hints - sorry if I'm treating you like a baby beginner, thats cause it's how I started :P

You should know what frets, capos and all are, right? I like Capos. :) Remember to bar the right frets when playing, or it'll be all... blegh. Urm.... if you're self learning, you should know that finger one is your pointer. And then second, third, fourth, is middle, ring, pinky. The strings go from one to six, one-three is treble, four to six is bass. Counting starts from the bottom, so the lowest string(closet to your leg if you play sitting) is string one. The string with the highest note. And when reading chords with finger placements, the bottom is always the top. So the thing is reversed. So to any chord on ultimate guitar and you'll see. You also note that they indicate the pointer as 1st finger? In some other things though, they indicate it as the second finger. So it's important to MEMORISE the finger placements (it'll come naturally :) ) or you'll get mixed up.

Also, if you're using UG, when searching- Bands = Artists, and Tabs = chords, or tabs. If you can read tabs, then go for tabs. I only read chords, so can't help you there. Once you go there and search you'll understand completely, I promise!

When you play, you'll also find out that your finger tips will start huuuuuurting. Cause you have to keep pressing down on the strings. That's what happening to me. Then the skin tore and toughened, so it's easier to play now. Another tip is to - if you didn't already know - play with your thumb and forefinger pressed together. Play downward with your forefinger, and when you play upward shift your thumb forward a little - it's easier. To get the strumming pattern for a song, listen to it. You'll get it.

Good luck, if anything was unclear, do ask, and if I sound like a know-it-all, I'm not, I just started myself.

Goot Lark! :D

If you don't know theory then Ultimate guitar is one of the worst things you can do. Ultimate guitar teaches you how to play songs, not how to play music.

Not saying that anyone on this topic doesn't know their theory, but for reference.

If you don't know theory then Ultimate guitar is one of the worst things you can do. Ultimate guitar teaches you how to play songs, not how to play music.

Not saying that anyone on this topic doesn't know their theory, but for reference.

Yes, I agree...people who just learn tabs without learning how to read/play music are doing themselves a disservice. I still respect their hard work and practice, but if you learn how to read music you'll be able to play anything. I read music from playing piano before starting guitar, and it made learning chords and scales sooo much easier for me.

And like Noog said, your fingers will really hurt at first! But give it a couple weeks and your fingers will be so callused you won't be able to feel a thing, haha. Anyway, I can't really give any useful advice since I quit guitar years ago, but try to practice (especially scales/exercises) every day! It makes it easier to commit and you'll get better faster. Good luck! (:

Yessir, I know what you mean. But surprisingly enough, I don't understand Tabs. At all. We kind of picked up guitar in school, but the people were very vague about it. However, they did direct us to UG, and I went straight for the chords.

Although I started with nothing - no musical background, no chord knowhow, no nothing - if you ask me to play a chord right now, I can. I've learnt fingering from them (is that what it's called?) so yea. They have that snazzy thing that tells you where to put your fingerrrrrs. Which comes in handy when I forget.

When I play, I play from chords. I also like going through the chords I've learnt to recall and retain. That helps me, so when you place a sheet of whatever in front of me, I can play. I don't know all the technical terms and all - in fact I just found out that a pick is actually from the family of plectrums. And i know what frets are. But that's about it. :) I know how to play by hear, though (but not the tough ones mostly the simpler ones) and my sister can play by ear the maddest mot amazing tunes. Mehhh, UNFAIR.

But, yea. Since she plays piano.... :D

• 1 month later...

I play the guitar as well. It would be a good idea to have your nails short, so it's easier to hold down the strings. Also, are the last 3 strings metal or plastic? I started with plastic strings, but then went on to metal strings. Now I want to go to the next level and get an electric guitar for my birthday. It's best to start with simpler chords, like C, G, A, E, then you can try bar chords, which even I have trouble doing.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Haunted Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

No bumping topics that haven't received posts in 21 days or more.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Haunted Neomysterion if you have any questions regarding this action.