Electronic Drawing Tablet

GabbyGirl

So I've recently been pondering purchasing a tablet that I can use with my computer. I don't want to spend that much, and as the tablets increase in price as they increase in size I was wondering if a smaller one would work pretty well? I'm not sure what size is ideal based on ease of use and price. Also if any of you have a certain brand you absolutely love, please let me know :)

My first tablet was a large Intuos3 from Wacom... but, as I learned using it, I can tell you bigger is not always better. Because of its sheer size, there was simply no way I could use it comfortably, especially in smaller work spaces like my dorm room.

Eventually, I downsized to a medium Intuos4, and I've quickly fallen in love with it. ^_^ There's plenty of area on the tablet for longer brush strokes, but its overall size is perfect when you're working with limited space. Its portability is a plus, too.

The biggest drawback to the Intuos is its price, but the quality has always been excellent in my experience. ;) If you're serious about art, I'd definitely recommend the investment.

Mine is the previous product version of this one. It's the smallest model they do, but it's quite suffisent for my uses. I'm not such an active drawer, so getting something bigger would have been a waste of time.

Remember to do your shopping online and offline. Many stores will want to beat the lowest price you find by 10%, even if it's from an online shop.

You definitely can't go wrong with Wacom. My sister is the artist in the family and she sticks with the bamboo tablets. Generally the older the model, the harder it is to find parts for it (pens and mouse, depending on what you get). She got the first generation bamboo fun from a friend without a pen, and the pen itself cost little over $50 CDN because a lot of places here don't sell them/don't ship to Canada. Newer ones are easier to find parts for. As for size, it depends on your needs. Even with the smaller ones, you can still draw big things. The bigger ones are good if you like to draw on paper and then trace, as it's easier to accommodate the paper (my sister was able to trace a few smaller things from tracing paper with the medium tablet. Not sure how it would go with thicker paper)

My tablet is a Genius Easypen and I absolutely love it! It's a nice small size that fits easily in my laptop bag when I go places. I only paid around $50 for it here in Canada from Staples Business Depot. Like Xepha said do your shopping before you make a decision. Also some can come with extras that you may already have or just have no use for. The one I was looking at before I found my Genius came with a USB mouse and I already had one so I kept looking elsewhere.

A huge + with mine is the software is for both PC and Mac so I can se it on both my computers!

Also reading product reviews can also help you narrow your choices down.

THanks so much you guys! All your responses have been really helpful. I have only been looking online, but it is such a good idea to get into the store. Maybe I can see if somewhere will let me play around with some different models. I've been leaning towards getting a Wacom, but I guess I'll have to see what happens!