Owner Pet Peeves

Lady Kakata

I agree. It is frustrating.

It is more annoying when you adopt a pet out and it just rots on their account. That's a risk you take with adopting pets out.

But how hard is it to neolodge them?

I would laugh though if they had a really expensive pet and since the pet was starving they got so miserable they turned blue on them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neopets is a virtual pets site, and I hate it when pets are sad and abandoned. Isn't that against the whole point of the site?

I like to pretend that my pets have personalities and are real creatures, even though I know it's not true. I tried to reflect it in their pet lookups, though I don't think I did a good job, haha. If I can't play for a few days, then I put them in a nice hotel. If they're hungry, I buy food for them - not just the free jellies and omelettes, either. If they want new toys, I buy them new toys.

There really isn't a penalty for not taking care of your pets, except for the odd random event. But still, at least feed them.

I agree. It is frustrating.

It is more annoying when you adopt a pet out and it just rots on their account. That's a risk you take with adopting pets out.

But how hard is it to neolodge them?

I would laugh though if they had a really expensive pet and since the pet was starving they got so miserable they turned blue on them.

For some reason, all the pets I've taken out of the pound are in the neolodge. For a good 20 days for so. I guess their owners DO have a conscience... :) However, I don't worry about feeding/health, because the healing springs and the grundo plushie take care of that for me~ :)

Unfortunately, Im one of those players that doesn`t feed their pets often. Why? Its easy to forget, it a hassle, its irrational and during the time that I do feed the pet, I could have been doing something more productive. I've also understand that the pet's hunger level doesn't detrimentally harm game play significantly, and that because all the pets are simply virtual, not feeding/playing with the pet is not cruel/harmful.

Do I care for my pet? Yes, if someone were to steal my pet, I would be somewhat regretful as I did develop the pet, but would likely overcome the fact that I've lost a virtual pet. Since a neopet is virtual, displays false emotions (virtual pets = no real emotions/feelings of course) and that this pet in reality exist as data in a database, as customizable pictures, as something that gets displayed on a computer screen, I would not say that a neopet is part of family. A real pet in real life to me is part of family.

Now, let look at it from a different point of view: Is feeding a neopet rational? Its only rational if you need the pet full for something like a battle in the battledome, or for battledome related training needs (negging). Other then that, keeping the bloated state has little to no value in general.

I think those that don't take good care of their pets should be more prone to the Random Event that turns their pet blue. They will get the message when their Roayl Draik keeps turning blue over and over again after they keep repainting her.

Unfortunately, not everyone cares about the colour of the pet, especially if the pet is already set at some basic colour already.

If the pet turns blue because of a RE event becoming popular, players would be less inclined to paint their pets in the first place. Even the active owner who feeds their pet would be less inclined to paint their pet - its like a ticking time bomb. Once the pet becomes hungry, because the player may worry about forgetting to feed or put the pet in a lodge, the pet`s expensive painted colour can be lost. Players would be less inclined to take vacations (once they come back, the pet is hungry, Random event could strike however likely or not), and again this can fuel problems between prioritizing between reality and a virtual world.

On another note, a child gamer may have trouble distinguishing reality and virtual worlds, thus resulting in gaming addictions and poor judgment/logic. This random event could strengthen this problem as the child gamer has one more reason to continue playing (even if they dont want to play) because they can know devise this rationale:

"If I don't feed/play or keep my pet happy, my expensively/uniquely coloured pet will turn blue from depression/hunger when I do want to come back to neo." This rationale is similar to the one where: "if I don't feed my pet, they will die from hunger", but pets never die, and thus a child can avoid this illogical rationale (even the help page mentions that pets dont die). A starting player may get this death rationale as they worry over the hunger level and if they dont read enough guides, they will likely act upon that rationale.

Yes it sends a message to have someone`s expensively coloured pet turn blue, but it will likely send the wrong message to the wrong population of neopets`owners as well. The prudent owners can falter too, and it would make neopets less enjoyable as this RE becomes a worry for players.

Sure, it cheap and it doesn't take long to place the pet in a lodge,but what are you currently paying for?

You are basically buying the service of having a database label your pet bloated/very bloated, and if you dont need the pet to have this status, spending this amount of np and time is useless/unnecessary process.

No, there must have been a lot of misinterpretation. I'll try to explain this once more.

What I was trying to say is that IF random events of pets turning blue occurred much more frequently because the owner failed to maintain the pet's hunger level accordingly, Young players especially will likely be afflicted with poor judgment/logic, and later gaming addiction. This is in relation to what you mentioned as poor care for pets = pets are more prone to turning blue from RE.

The whole ordeal of having this "pet turns blue RE more frequently" can easily prey on a player`s priority on what is important and what isnt. The young player would interpret that failure to maintain the pet's hunger turns them blue, which is especially undesirable as it overrides any expensive colours the pet was painted with. The young player would struggle to leave neopets because in the back of their mind, they will have the worry that their pet could turn blue. The player wouldn't want to take long breaks/vacations/hiatus from neo because the moment the come back, they may forget about the hunger system & the whole Random event can change the pet's colour, reducing their accomplishments. And of course, not all players know when they wish to rejoin neo.

This scenario is like an indirect threat made by the game system. "If you dont feed the pet, the pet turns blue". Its like "If you dont do something, something bad happens". In multi-player games where players attack with each other's bases/fortresses and the game continues to run while your offline (sort of like Habi, but more competitive, violent, survivalist), this kind of rationale exist. I personally dont think tnt should promote a similar type of rationale, where it begins to prey on a players survival instincts, or judgment on what is valuable and not. I would not want to see players overwhelmed by worries of their expensive/ one of a kind coloured pet turning blue, and that feeding is now an obligation.

• 1 month later...

It bugs me too. Why join if you are just going to let your pet go hungry.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.