Owner Pet Peeves

Lady Kakata

I think it's ridiculous that rich users don't feed their pets. If you can afford a Maraquan PB, why can't you afford an omelette? It shouldn't be that hard! Of course many players think that you have to starve your pets to be rich which is ridiculous. I may have to write an article for the NT about how to be rich WITHOUT starving your pets. Seriously, if I had a Maraquan Draik, I'd be feeding him a Christmas feast, unlike a different user. And no, I don't care about being rich, which may explain why I have such spoilt, happy pets. Personally I'd rather see a happy, uncostomised green Xweetok over a customised, miserable, desert Draik.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's ridiculous that rich users don't feed their pets. If you can afford a Maraquan PB, why can't you afford an omelette? It shouldn't be that hard! Of course many players think that you have to starve your pets to be rich which is ridiculous. I may have to write an article for the NT about how to be rich WITHOUT starving your pets. Seriously, if I had a Maraquan Draik, I'd be feeding him a Christmas feast, unlike a different user. And no, I don't care about being rich, which may explain why I have such spoilt, happy pets. Personally I'd rather see a happy, uncostomised green Xweetok over a customised, miserable, desert Draik.

Most of my pets are basic colors and they're all happy as can be. I care not about being rich either, I'm blowing all my NP on food(as my main account pets just got out of the Neolodge)and I really don't mind. My Lenny and Kiko's moods are dropping though....I need to play with them lol.

Am I really one of the few who just doesn't care so much?

I do care, somewhat. I don't put my pets in the Neolodge: I keep them fed on Omelettes and Jellies and whatever foods I find / win (and never gross foods), I read almost all books to them, and I play with them when their moods drop. I heal them when they are sick or wounded (or at least actively visit the Springs so the Healing Faerie can do it for me).

But to say that I am attached to them as I am to my real pets? No. I'll easily forget them for some weeks and if I am ever proud, I am proud of their stats / names / expensive Paint colours.

I can understand why it bothers some of you, especially those people who put a lot of effort into the more role-playing aspect of the site. I do think it is rather offensive and ridiculous to suggest that people who do not take proper care of their Neopet would neglect any real pets or children. Neopets is pure entertainment: let everyone use the site as they like.

Oh! Back in the day, you didn't need a pet for stuff if I remember rightly. When I used Neopets for rping hard for, some of my best rp buddies didn't have a pet because all they did was forum and games. They prolly changed that since they promt you to make a pet when you join now :/

Yeah, if I was a neomillionaire and had my dream pet, I'd feed it only gourmet things. Which I'm doing now anyway hohoho but yeah. I don't get using pets as status symbols. It only impresses others that use pets as status symbols. It doesn't impress cool cats like us yo, woop woop!

I don't feed/play with my pets because it just takes too long and it doesn't really make a difference. I like playing Neopets because I like trying to get avatars. I haven't painted any of my pets (one was zapped by Boochi, one went in the Magma Pool, and one is my Lab Ray pet) and none of them have clothing/customizations. That's just not the focus of Neo for me. I'm attached to 3 of my pets because I've had them from day 1, but I just don't want to spend a ton of time taking care of them because, in the end, they're just pixels.

Maybe I will go put them in the Neolodge now. Reading these posts did make me feel sort of guilty...

Most of my pets are basic colors and they're all happy as can be. I care not about being rich either, I'm blowing all my NP on food(as my main account pets just got out of the Neolodge)and I really don't mind. My Lenny and Kiko's moods are dropping though....I need to play with them lol.

Hello, new friend! I like players just like that, not caring what colour they are, only whether they are happy or not. :)

Well my pet peeve is just when my pet doesn't READ the book that I buy ... lame.

That has to do with the amout of letters in the book and your pet's name. The formula for that is Petname*2 +1 or Petname+1*2+1. The formula is different for all other iems such as food or Petpets where it either equals the amount of letters (including spaces!) or twice the amount. Change the language of the site to go around the problem, I use it all the time to enable my pets to read whatever they want. It also helps to count the amount of letters in the item too, so you know whether or not your pet can use said item.

Example: a pet named Azarale (7 letters) cannot drink Sun Tea (also has 7 letters) or eat Chocolate Cake (which has 14 letters). If you change the site's language, he is free to enjoy them, if the amount of letters in the object's name is affected.

I don't take care of my neopets. Most of the time I forget to put them in the neolodge or I just don't feel like it.

However I take wonderful care of my living and breathing real cat that has actual feelings.

I guess since I know my virtual pets don't have feelings and nothing bad happens when you don't feed them I want to ask "why bother?" It's not like feeding them is any fun either.

This is me too. If I notice they look happy (or the one in my sidebar does), I'll pop it back in the neo lodge, but they are pixels, and my actual pets (2 cats and a guinea pig) and 3 children all get food, clothing, toys and plenty of my attention so it all evens out I guess :laughingsmiley:

But I don't feel remotely guilty if I forget to feed/lodge them and they get hungry. There's no game benefit in this aspect and, while it's fine if you want to play Neo that way, there's no rule saying you have to pay equal attention to the pets as you do games and other aspects of the site.

I play neopets for the avatars, and I play games and buy NC to buy those pets brushes, clothes, backgrounds etc. I personally don't see anything wrong with focusing on these aspects of the site over others.

I'd actually question why people find it so important to keep their main pets well fed and cared for, but it's ok to whack the side pets in the neo lodge and not spend the same level of attention on them. It's all about priorities, isn't it?

This is me too. If I notice they look happy (or the one in my sidebar does), I'll pop it back in the neo lodge, but they are pixels, and my actual pets (2 cats and a guinea pig) and 3 children all get food, clothing, toys and plenty of my attention so it all evens out I guess :laughingsmiley: But I don't feel remotely guilty if I forget to feed/lodge them and they get hungry. There's no game benefit in this aspect and, while it's fine if you want to play Neo that way, there's no rule saying you have to pay equal attention to the pets as you do games and other aspects of the site. I play neopets for the avatars, and I play games and buy NC to buy those pets brushes, clothes, backgrounds etc. I personally don't see anything wrong with focusing on these aspects of the site over others. I'd actually question why people find it so important to keep their main pets well fed and cared for, but it's ok to whack the side pets in the neo lodge and not spend the same level of attention on them. It's all about priorities, isn't it?

I agree. When I tell people how much I care about and love my Neopets people always say to me "You realize that they're just pixels." While I know that they are, I still keep them happy and taken care of. I'm not that stupid.

You didn't call me stupid, just so you now.

I try to remember to keep my pets well-fed and played with... but sometimes I don't. It's not really a big deal to me. I recently came back from a looong hiatus. I'd pop back on every once in a while, stick my pets in the Neolodge and play with 'em a bit, but it was really irregular. I had other stuff going on, and I didn't feel bad about not taking good care of my neopets.

I am attached to my neopets, though. I've had them since I was a wee thing, longer than I've had my real pets. If I had come back to find them dead? I'd have been pretty upset. Not devastated, but certainly very upset. And then I wouldn't have returned to play again. I think that's the real reason TNT doesn't let pets die, because it's not only an awful business decision, but a terrible decision all around, and needlessly upsetting, especially in a kid's game.

I wish caring for the pet was more of a part of it. Its silly that part can be totally ignored since its a pet adoption site lol

My biggest pet owner peeve is that neopets don't get hungry fast enough. I need to eat like five times a day, my neopet barely needs to each once a week

I dunno, there are so many ways to get free food. There's the Soup Kitchen and the omelete, jelly and all the dailies. Plus you can get cheap food from peeps shops. That would be a good way to get those neopoints flowing so inflation and blabla bla and money talk.

Do hunger speeds differ from neopet to neopet? :0

Well my pet peeve is just when my pet doesn't READ the book that I buy ... lame.

I usually try changing the language until I find one piscesmonkey is willing to read the book in.:)

Do hunger speeds differ from neopet to neopet? :0

I have no idea, myself.

I used to manually feed my two pets, I'd give them omelets and jellies and whatever freebies I got. Its just so time-consuming, and they're usually still hungry after the daily omelet and jelly are finished, so I end up buying food....its a lot less expensive, less time-consuming, less annoying to just put them in the neolodge for a month at a time. I discovered this only after I'd given both of my special pampered pets away :3

Now I don't ever feed my pets manually, I put them in the neolodge. Also I pick one toy, open it in a new tab, play with a pet and refresh the page until the pet becomes delighted. I do this to all of my pets once in a while, whenever I see their mood get to "content"

But this is only when I'm active, which has been pretty rarely. I almost never loggin when school starts, I'm basically on hiatus from september to june, so I don't even put them in the lodge. This doesn't make me careless or unfeeling, it just means that I prioritize my RL education. Thats what I always assume when I see a neglected rich account "this person puts their RL job/education first" because obviously they've invested a lot of time and effort into their account, that's enough to show me that they care about their pets.

I have never put my pet in the Neolodge before - by the time my pets have gone from bloated to dying, I've accumulated so many omelettes and jellies there's more than enough there to make 4 dying pets bloated again. For instance, right now all my pets are bloated, and I still have 17 omelettes and 4 jellies sitting in my inventory. In fact, I've only ever ran out of food once, and if it happens again, I've got an Everlasting Apple as backup :laughingsmiley:

I personally get a bit of a kick out of feeding my pets rather than just stuffing them in the Neolodge - I've grown quite sentimental towards them, and they are a virtual family for me. I guess it helps that I've semi-named all my kawaii-[name] pets after comedians, it actually urges me to feed them a.s.a.p and see them happy again :D

I have never put my pet in the Neolodge before - by the time my pets have gone from bloated to dying, I've accumulated so many omelettes and jellies there's more than enough there to make 4 dying pets bloated again. For instance, right now all my pets are bloated, and I still have 17 omelettes and 4 jellies sitting in my inventory. In fact, I've only ever ran out of food once, and if it happens again, I've got an Everlasting Apple as backup :laughingsmiley:

I personally get a bit of a kick out of feeding my pets rather than just stuffing them in the Neolodge - I've grown quite sentimental towards them, and they are a virtual family for me. I guess it helps that I've semi-named all my kawaii-[name] pets after comedians, it actually urges me to feed them a.s.a.p and see them happy again :D

It may sound a bit strange, but I only really send my pets tot he lodge as a "Holiday" or "Vacation" maybe once a month or so for 3-7 days depending. I think the lodge is cool as a special thing you can do FOR your neopet, not as a makeshift Kennel.

I wouldn't say they should kill your pets off if you don't take care of them, or are inactive for an amount of time. I think that if you are inactive for over 3 months, or if you haven't fed your pet in this time, that it should go up for adoption automatically. Because realistically, if your net goes down, or your having RL issues, you should be able to even go to a friends house, the library, a family member, etc. Long enough to log in, and feed your pets within a 3 month period.

I put my pet in a lodge once to see what it was like when they were in a lodge. I put her in the ritziest room with all the trimmings for a few days XD If I were going on holiday I'd take my laptop with me and use the hotels wireless net so that wouldn't be a problem, but if I were going somewhere with no net access (the HORROR o_O ) then I'd check her in there to make sure she's fed

I agree with the feeling of feeding your pets being great, I feed Moorlough Faerie things and gourmet items (and some things that just take my fancy) since I'll never have such cool food in real life XD

the main reason I use the lodge is that my memory is so bad...I do not have to worry about it for a month at a time...otherwise I would more often have my grarrl eat things which I would rather keep. :P

I do feed my two cats, including Rascal in the picture below, their proper daily ration of cat food...

Rascal is healthy lean 11.5 pounds while Bandit is enough smaller that she would be fat at 9 pounds...so I am always carefully separating them and feeding them their food usually split into three regular times a day

Call me strange, but since I would never want to eat anything served in a cockroach tower, I don't want my pets to either, haha. I feed my pets manually, but I just pick cheap foods that would, if they were real, be tasty, like small fruit basket, flower cake, hot crossed buns, etc. Maybe this is because I'm obsessed with food in real life too...

Call me strange, but since I would never want to eat anything served in a cockroach tower, I don't want my pets to either, haha. I feed my pets manually, but I just pick cheap foods that would, if they were real, be tasty, like small fruit basket, flower cake, hot crossed buns, etc. Maybe this is because I'm obsessed with food in real life too...

when I was newer to neopets, I would feed my grarrl and skeith the junk I got from fishing and other non food dailies...

Funny thing, the same is true for me, too. When I put my pets in the Lodge, I go no lower than Mountain Lodge, because it is cozy, despite being a little worn (Overactive imagination, yes, but I have an old Neopets Magazine issue which had an article on the different hotels of the Neolodge). So they stay in those nice rooms every once in a while, with all the extras. When they're not in the Lodge, I like to look for nice food for them, many times something cheap, but at least edible, sometimes something more expensive and fancy.

I NEVER feed my pets Gross Food. EVER. So at the first of every month when I collect Freebies, I discard the Gross Food one or two of my pets always get, and buy something nicer for them.

Although Neopian food may be imaginary, it is certianly fun. I know I have fun with it, too. :)

And @fish_mummy, awesome thing to own a Skieth or Grarrl, they can eat anything, which can really be a big help with clearing your inventory!

Maybe if TNT made it so that when the neopets are "starving" they make the neopets look even worst and more sad, to maybe get some sympathy out of the users?

This is actually a pretty good idea ^^ Maybe they could make it slump over or lie down and cry or something *-*