Let's talk about GAY MARRIAGE!

Russ

Love is love. Period. Regardless of what gender or race you are. So yes, gay marriage should be allowed. I feel like a lot of people in my life don't think it should be(I know my grandparents don't think so)but I am pro-gay rights. Opinions are opinions, ya know.

However, forcing what you believe onto people is terrible. I've had many things forced onto me and know what it's like.

I've been reading this thread for a while now and looking for a way to chime in. I think you couldn't have said it better.

I think everyone in this World, regardless of creed, sexual preference, or any thing else you can think of that would make someone "different," should all be treated as equals. I won't ever discriminate against someone because of who they love. It's an absolute travesty that the LGBT community is having to fight for all the same rights that coloured people did not even 65 years ago. Have we learned nothing from that? History repeats itself, and I know that 65 years from now, we will look back and go, "God, how ignorant were we! To tell someone else that they couldn't be married due to their sexual preference!? How Neolithic." :sad01_anim:

Wow. It took me a lot time to read through 90% of the entries here. There were some very powerful statements, some that were truly heartfelt, and a few that were truly terrfying in their vehemence. It's sad that in the few years since this thread began that some people's opinions can be so shockingly negative about something that really doesn't affect them in day-to-day life. It makes my heart glad to see that many of our little TDN community can be so very open and able to speak about a subject like this without hard feelings. Some of what I read here made me laugh. Some almost made me cry. Mostly, what I read made me feel proud to belong to this family.

I do understand that the subject of gay marriage cannot be divorced from religion, since it's mostly their community that has such overwhelming hatred of anything that isn't "them". This is highly unfortunate because some of us find the topic of religious belief to be a minefield best left alone. As for my own alignment, let me say that I am married and happily so for the past 8 years. No more than that is needed to be known. Am I pro or anti? Very much pro. Why? Because everyone on this planet should have the right to be with the person that they choose, provided it is another consenting adult. I really don't care if they're straight, gay, bi, vanilla, kinky, furry or whatever their personal choice of lifestyle may be. As long as they are respectful of me, I will be respectful of them.

Which is where my heart gets broken by those who spout their hate and attempt to force their will upon others. Again, I don't care which side of the fence you're on or what god you worship... you do not have the right to come into my life and tell me who I can love or what deity I can worship. I was not raised in any faith, but I have always felt an interest in all of them. One common thread is summed up in "treat others as you would like to be treated". This isn't just a principal of faith. It's also plain logic. It doesn't get any simpler. It's not any different than one country invading another and forcing their ways and culture upon the oppressed. Would you like that? Of course not. So why do that to someone else? Just because you believe you know better? Funny, they feel the same way about you.

Why am I here? Why bring up this thread and say what has already been said better by others? Because united we stand, divided we fall. I do NOT agree with pushing the "gay agenda" down the straights' throats, but neither do I agree with those who want to force people into secrecy and lies. The world would be a much better place if we humans could get past our differences and see our similarities instead. To see the glass as half full instead of half empty. Those with hate in their hearts need to take a deep breath and ask themselves one thing: what if the shoe was on the other foot? What if being straight was outlawed? Don't laugh and say that's impossible - really consider what you would do if it was you in the position of the outlawed and unwanted. How would you feel? Would you think it was right to be forced to change? Somehow, I think you might begin to understand. If you need the faith-based angle, here it is: recall your history lessons about the oppression of the early Christians and that they were put to death just because of their faith? Was that right? Of course not. No different.

Lastly, let me ask a question of those who are opposed on the basis of religion: if you are so convinced that what non-hetero people is doing is wrong and they will be cast down to burn forever, what difference does that make to you? Please, don't give me the line that you have to bring more souls to the god you believe in, because that doesn't wash with me. It again comes back to invaders, oppression, etc. You have no right to force me or anyone else to follow your faith any more than someone of another faith has in doing so to you. In other words: do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Sound familiar?

That's it. My very long five cents. Others have said it ahead of me, but it is a simple truth that deserves repeating: LOVE IS LOVE.

(As long as it is between consenting adults.)

• 2 weeks later...
Which is where my heart gets broken by those who spout their hate and attempt to force their will upon others. Again, I don't care which side of the fence you're on or what god you worship... you do not have the right to come into my life and tell me who I can love or what deity I can worship. I was not raised in any faith, but I have always felt an interest in all of them. One common thread is summed up in "treat others as you would like to be treated". This isn't just a principal of faith. It's also plain logic. It doesn't get any simpler. It's not any different than one country invading another and forcing their ways and culture upon the oppressed. Would you like that? Of course not. So why do that to someone else? Just because you believe you know better? Funny, they feel the same way about you.

Others have said it ahead of me, but it is a simple truth that deserves repeating: LOVE IS LOVE.

(As long as it is between consenting adults.)

Eloquently put. I've always marvelled at people's ability to be so actively negative towards something that doesn't affect them. They really have the arrogance to think it has anything to do with them. Newsflash: Your marriage won't be destroyed by two people you've never met also being granted that right. Not everything is about you, in fact, most things aren't. People like to think that others shouldn't be allowed to marry whoever they want because they think their lives will be affected. They have no idea what it's like to be on the other side of the issue. That's what gets me about so many things nowadays. I'm Australian and we have a terrible Prime Minister right now. No empathy. Your perfect American Dream will not be destroyed by a) people fleeing with their families from war-torn countries, b ) a human being marrying another human being, c) a woman being a member of parliament, or d) someone assuming the societal role they desire to assume. Because that's all gender really is.

And in the end, who really cares?

It shouldn't be that big of a deal. The vast majority of arguments against gay marriage were used 50 years ago almost to the letter against inter-racial marriage. And look how idiotic they all look now.

Eloquently put. I've always marvelled at people's ability to be so actively negative towards something that doesn't affect them. They really have the arrogance to think it has anything to do with them. Newsflash: Your marriage won't be destroyed by two people you've never met also being granted that right. Not everything is about you, in fact, most things aren't. People like to think that others shouldn't be allowed to marry whoever they want because they think their lives will be affected. They have no idea what it's like to be on the other side of the issue. That's what gets me about so many things nowadays. I'm Australian and we have a terrible Prime Minister right now. No empathy. Your perfect American Dream will not be destroyed by a) people fleeing with their families from war-torn countries, b ) a human being marrying another human being, c) a woman being a member of parliament, or d) someone assuming the societal role they desire to assume. Because that's all gender really is.

And in the end, who really cares?

It shouldn't be that big of a deal. The vast majority of arguments against gay marriage were used 50 years ago almost to the letter against inter-racial marriage. And look how idiotic they all look now.

Oh my goodness exactly! Somenoe finally verbalized what I've been struggling to explain. Another

Another way to put it is this:

tumblr_n7bg1cCGa51tp8xdeo1_400.jpg

which I love love love for obvious reasons.

Oh my goodness exactly! Somenoe finally verbalized what I've been struggling to explain. Another

Another way to put it is this:

tumblr_n7bg1cCGa51tp8xdeo1_400.jpg

which I love love love for obvious reasons.

Hahaha, I love that meme. There's a girl who I'm madly in love with at the moment and she's the most incredible, strong, kind person I've ever met in my whole life. She was raised in a conservative Christian family and her father doesn't talk to her anymore. She said that she knew coming out to him would be hard. She had prepared a whole speech about how it was how she was born and there was nothing she could do about it, but she didn't even get that far. He basically said 'yeah, I know. You're just wired wrong.' He told her she should spend her whole life never letting herself fall in love because she was just wrong. And the fact that she can be so open about it now and still have a very special, loving relationship with her god despite all of that is just incredible to me. She really gets the whole 'Jesus just wants us to love' thing.

Seriously though, how uptight do people think Jesus was? He was friends with a prostitute for crying out loud. He was basically just like 'nah, ignore those commandments. I'm giving you new ones. Love. There you go, that's honestly it. That's all you gotta do to get in my good books: Love'. He was a cool dude. I bet God (for those that believe that) must get super sad sitting up there, watching people directly oppose his will and say it's in his name. As a Christian myself, it's frankly very offensive.

• 3 years later...
  • hrtbrk locked this topic