13th Zodiac sign, Ophiuchus

khaos

I have heard that there is a new sign, Ophiuchus. While I don't believe in horoscope, i dislike that scientists are making this a legal sign.

I am a Capricorn. With the new addition, i am a Sagittarius. I personally will stay a Capricorn.

What about you? Are you gonna follow it and become something else?

This is not new. it has been this way since January.

Like I said, I don't believe in horoscope, but i like t see which sign people are and things like that.

Ophiuchus is not new in any way. It's actually listed as one of the 48 constellations that were charted in the second century. Nor is it an actual zodiac sign. It overlaps with the circle a bit, but the zodiac is the division of the sun's path divied into 12 parts. It was actually made as a calendar in the beginning. There always have been and always will be only 12 signs.

I'm pretty sure that the "new sign" only affects people who were born after the change anyway :rolleyes_anim: Astrology.com doesn't even seem to have recognized it yet, and they're one of the largest astrological sites around :P

And like Cornflakes said, there's no real science behind astrology anyway. It's just another way people use to categorize each other.

This Opiuchus thing which has been going on for a long time is just stupid. I read somewhere that it applises only for those born in 2009 and after so I guess we don't need to worry about our signs changing. There can be only 12 signs. Bringing the 13th sign changes many people's signs and I bet they wouldn't like to be Capricorn and then become Aquarius.

Got from Wikipedia : Because of the partial overlap of the constellation Ophiuchus and the Sun's path upon which zodiacal longitude is based, Ophiuchus is sometimes mistakenly referred to as the '13th sign of the zodiac'. This is an innapropriate reference since the zodiac is a division of the ecliptic into twelve equal parts, initially originated for calendrical purposes. This makes the notion of a '13th sign' a mathematical impossibility. It is only correct to refer to Ophiuchus as one of the constellations which cross the zodiac; which does not constitute a zodiacal sign, of which all historical records acknowledge only twelve.

Ophiuchus is not new in any way. It's actually listed as one of the 48 constellations that were charted in the second century. Nor is it an actual zodiac sign. It overlaps with the circle a bit, but the zodiac is the division of the sun's path divied into 12 parts. It was actually made as a calendar in the beginning. There always have been and always will be only 12 signs.

I know that Ophiuchus is not new. It has been around since the time "Zodiac" was even made, but the Greek decided to only have 12 as there are 12 months in the Julius Calender. Or so I heard.

There's no science in astrology. It's all a bunch of rubbish.

Prove the validity of one single horoscope, and I'll give you $100 dollars.

$100 is too little xD

But seriously, I agree. Like I've said, horoscope is trash, and I don't believe in it.

Actually mo one's sign has to change. Only babies born after a certain year will have that sign applied to them. I am a Capricorn also and will stay a Capricorn.

The new sign will only have changes for all babies born after 2010 I think.

I know that Ophiuchus is not new. It has been around since the time "Zodiac" was even made, but the Greek decided to only have 12 as there are 12 months in the Julius Calender. Or so I heard.

$100 is too little xD

But seriously, I agree. Like I've said, horoscope is trash, and I don't believe in it.

Actually, the Julius Calendar was created during the Roman period, not the Greek. It is called the Julius Calendar after Julius Caesar, a Roman emperor. So the Greek astrology was created way before the calendar. Also, the reason why the zodiac sign Ophiuchus has been added is because after thousands of years, the stars in the sky have changed and the astrological signs no longer reflect what is actually going on in the sky. This is my understanding of the situation from some articles i read online.

I'm pretty sure that the "new sign" only affects people who were born after the change anyway.

^THIS. You are whatever you've always been if you're intelligent enough to be reading this.

As for the sign, sure, people born this year should accept it. Nothing stopped people from accepting the sign shoved on them before.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that a lot of the astrological signs are actually outdated. The Earth tilts one degree or something every so often, and since astrological sign were made very early, most of the astrological signs we don't even see, or so I read somewhere, I can't really recall the site. Virgo and Aquarius were two that I remember that don't exist anymore because the Earth tilts one degree. Someone probably needs to double check on this, but I do remember reading up on this.

I don't favor adding a 13th zodiac sign even if it only affects those born after 2009, but I do suppose scientists are paid to make new discoveries. Wish they would spend less time studying zodiacs and do something more productive though :P

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like it. I was a Pisces before, and I'm not being an Aquarius. No thanks, scientists -_- At least it doesn't affect us. Haha, I'm not really a believer in Western Zodiacs, but I find them entertaining to read. Yeah, xkiyoz, they could be researching ways to cure cancer, like my uncle. Oh well.

Not this thing again ...

THIS IS NOT NEWS. And I don't mean in the sense that this was talked about at the beginning of the year, this has been known pretty much since the dawn of Astrology. For Astrological purposes we follow the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL CHANGES WITH THIS STAR SIGN. It does not exist in Western Astrology and everyone is to ignore this thing.

I'm quite good at it (Virgo) and I've looked into it. It's nonsense, and we can safetly ignore it

Here's my post from around that time :

I put this here in case there are clients worried about their star-sign tattoos and the 'new' astrological calender

As far as I can gather, we have 'uncovered' this 'secret' astrology before (i.e. the hidden 13th sign and the misalignment of stars). However, we follow the tropical set of stars rather than the one that's apparently changed so NOTHING HAS CHANGED. It's one of these things that people panic over but if you look over the profile of the star you're 'supposed' to be, you might find glaring holes in it

(Put it this way; I'm a Virgo in every way apart from money and jogging. The idea of my being a Leo is absurd)

So if you are worried about that Aquarius tattoo when you're 'supposed' to be a Capricorn, don't reach for the lasers or book the coverups just yet. It's NOT an emergency and you are still the same star sign until all the astrologers go 'Wait, no, it's wrong'. So far nothing has happened and the story has dropped out of reporting circulation, and no 'generic' horoscope section has changed their options (my pre-selected date-based one still says Virgo)

IGNORE the warnings and be the same sign you think you are now

EDIT: This explains it best http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2011/01/new_zodiac_sign_dates_dont_swi.html

So the PLANETS have changed but the ASTROLOGY has NOT

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. These have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually mo one's sign has to change. Only babies born after a certain year will have that sign applied to them. I am a Capricorn also and will stay a Capricorn.

The new sign will only have changes for all babies born after 2010 I think.

what a releif

i was a saggitarius and it said i was now a ophichus

i will remain a saggitarius 0:)