Naughty words

Tank Girl

I was wondering about the use of a specific word on the forum and whether it would be considered inappropriate?

The word is smeg - I know what this means is pretty gross, but it's a catchphrase in one of my favourite programmes Red Dwarf which is beyond amazing, so I think it should be allowed ;)

I sent in an editorial about it's appropriateness on Neo but unsurprisingly it hasn't been published lol

Also I think Mr. Insane says it in TNT Staff Smasher when he gets boofed on the head? :S

That's inappropriate? ._. (I don't even know what it means) I thought neopets only banned the obviously naughty words like ... well you know. :< I've seen free-to-play cash shop games ban words like "subject" because of the "bj" letters in it. or banning the word Jubjub haha. I think there should be an option where users can just click on a "!" next to a post to report it for inappropriate content for the neoboards. Then there wouldn't be such a need for bans on words that fall in the grey area. People generally behave themselves anyway, if not you can count on someone tattle telling.

Err... I really don't want to say what it means. Haha.

That's pretty ridiculous! Some censoring is just a bit over the top. If they can say a light curse word (like the 'h' word, which EVERYONE says) on daytime television why can't I say it on here or on Neopets? I have a mouth like a sewer so it's really hard to watch what I say :| lol

Also another word I was wondering about - Sod? E.g You cheeky sod! :)

OMG

RED DWARF

like seriously no one I know has ever seen this show ... I used to watch it at my Aunt's house in Jordan when I was a kid in the 80's and we visited in the summers ..

Jordan Channel 2 used to show lots of British and American sci fi shows like Red Dwarf , The Final Battle , Star Trek , and Dr. Who ... I was a space nut at the time (and still am , to a certain degree) ....

Sod is grass and soil mixed together ... so as Cornflakes says , it's something "dirty" ...

Sod actually is something dirty... as in dirt. hehe

Smeg sounds like infected mucus. Not a swearword, but just gross.

I haven't bothered to look up what it actually means.

Don't quite know how to explain it without saying something rude or gross sounding - but here goes.

You know what comes out of a trouser snake when it gets excited?

It's that. But dried ;)

OMG

RED DWARF

like seriously no one I know has ever seen this show ... I used to watch it at my Aunt's house in Jordan when I was a kid in the 80's and we visited in the summers ..

Jordan Channel 2 used to show lots of British and American sci fi shows like Red Dwarf , The Final Battle , Star Trek , and Dr. Who ... I was a space nut at the time (and still am , to a certain degree) ....

Sod is grass and soil mixed together ... so as Cornflakes says , it's something "dirty" ...

I looooove Red Dwarf!!!!!! I used to watch it with my dad when I was wee, and now I'm all grown up I still absolutely adore it :D Also Star Trek - YEAH BOI!!!! I'm such a Trekkie :P But mostly only with The Next Generation and Voyager.

If you haven't seen it you should totally check out Blackadder. I can guarantee you will love it so much! In fact, if you haven't and you can't find it anywhere I will fed-ex you some episodes on a memory stick :D

Oh man, I haven't seen Red Dwarf in years, but I used to love it. Considering the origin of smeg, I'd say it's definitely inappropriate for Neo.

But Mr. Insane says it, I checked! He DEFINITELY says smeg on TNT Staff Smasher!

Oh and you should totally start watching it again ;) My friend got the whole collection on DVD in a special book thing, so jealous :ohno:

Urbandictionary is a bad standard to go by, because aside from the obvious curse words they put meaning to words and phrases that are normal to everyone else. Not all of us are "whud up G?". For example, tea bag.

Another reason why it's bad is that urbandictionary makes up it's own words for words that already exist.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dayturnal&defid=5886115

The real "opposite" of nocturnal is diurnal, not "dayurnal".

Hahahaha! Urban Dictionary is my English teacher preparing me for a future of vulgarites. My favortie one that isn't vulgar is Tweety. A tweety is basically a trailer park lady who wears oversized Tweety Bird shirts and tight sweatpants. Add a mud mask, bunny slippers, and hair rollers and you've got the perfect mental image of what comes to my mind when it comes to Tweetys.

trailer park lady who wears oversized Tweety Bird shirts and tight sweatpants.

and here goes one of my last childhood memories .. ruined forever

and here goes one of my last childhood memories .. ruined forever

Did I offend you? I deeply apologize if I did. You're a friend Angelo.

Did I offend you? I deeply apologize if I did. You're a friend Angelo.

lol no it was a joke ,, i almost never get offended ,,, but what goes in those womens heads to look like that >>>??....

Ok, first: There is absolutely NO REASON why this topic should have gone this horribly off topic. This has happened with you (as in, the group of people posting on this thread) before, and if it happens again, I'll personally send each and every one of you an offical warning (as opposed to this last-chance-unoffical one) despite having far better things to do than send out personal thwackings to several people.

To answer the question: Smeg and sod, and anything else I skimmed over, are things that would be context sensitive. If you're using them in refrence to a video game or some such, there is no problem with you using them. If you're using them in a vulgar context, then we have an issue.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Anime).

The original topic had been answered.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Anime if you have any questions regarding this action.