How Long can you Hold your Breath?

khaos

21 members have voted

1. 1. How long can you hold your breath?

• under 15 secs.
    • 15 - 20 secs.
    • 20 - 30 secs.
    • 30 - 40 secs.
    • 40 - 50 secs
    • 50 - 60 secs
    • over a minute

How long can you hold your breath? Just, you know, a random question that i ask people.

EDIT: tried again, got a minute and 1 sec. i got 40 - 50 last time because i was already out of breath.

I just timed myself for the sake of this poll. I stopped at a minute and 4 seconds, but I could have gone longer. I just didn't want to hurt myself or anything like that. :yes:

Like.. Hardly anything anymore cause of the smoking :( Maybe 20 seconds or so.

Plus holding your breath is just a bad idea - it pops blood vessels and things. Bleh.

Wow, that was really sad. Only about 30 seconds, but like Shannon, smoking has killed my lungs. D: Bad, bad habit.

Breath holding is actually quite interesting. You can't hold your breath to the point where you will actually do permament damage yourself - it's just not possible. You brain will send messages to various other parts of your body and you will be forced to open up and breath and fill your lungs with oxygen - you just dont't get a choice when your brain makes an excutive decision like that. Should you actually black out from lack of oxygen, normal breath pattens will resume almost instantly and a few good deep breaths will get the oxygen pumping back around your body.

It is something you need to think about though if you're doing it often. Each time you hold your breath for extended periods of time, brain cells die and they dont grow back, and if your body (the brain in particular) is deprived of oxygen for more than say, 3 to 4 minutes I would start to be concered about longer lasting brain damage. Seeing as how oxygen is vital to the functioning of the body, there are also any host of other things that the body is unable to do while you are oxygen deprived.

As for your question about how lon can you hold breath, you can already see from the answers you've gotten here, that there are many many factors which come into play. Long term smokers will have no chance due to reduced lung compasity and athletes will be able to hold for muuuuch longer. But, for the rest of us non althetes and non smokers, I would expect the notmal to be somewhere between 50-90 seconds or so!

Interesting question!!

Haha..Actually I don't know if I could count myself as have over minute cuz my timer stopped at 01:01.2 xD

Just 1.2seconds more than a minute..

However, I find myself having a lower limit when I try holding my breath under water... =X

I can only hold my breath for only 22 seconds, I used an Online Stopwatch to help me keep track.

I too timed myself merely for this poll. The first time I got 45 seconds but I didn't take a deep enough breath. By takign a deep breath I got 1 minute 3 though I might have been able to hold it slightly longer. I saw on Ripley's believe it or not this one swimmer held her breath for 3 minutes 50 second, possibly longer.

I'm not a professional athlete, but I do swim a lot (and I enjoy diving in deep pools and such) - the last dive I actually timed lasted just over two minutes. I have a much tougher time holding my breath when I'm not swimming though - I get distracted and start breathing again before I can catch myself. xD

the world record is somewhere around 15 minutes. These people are paranormal.

His name is

, held breath for 17 mins. and 17 secs, beating the old record by 13 secs.

I can't even imagine what being able to hold my breath for 17 minutes would be like.... I'd think I'd have some serious water powers like Percy Jackson.

• 11 years later...
On 5/23/2011 at 12:47 PM, Kwa said:

Breath holding is actually quite interesting. You can't hold your breath to the point where you will actually do permament damage yourself - it's just not possible. You brain will send messages to various other parts of your body and you will be forced to open up and breath and fill your lungs with oxygen - you just dont't get a choice when your brain makes an excutive decision like that. Should you actually black out from lack of oxygen, normal breath pattens will resume almost instantly and a few good deep breaths will get the oxygen pumping back around your body.

It is something you need to think about though if you're doing it often. Each time you hold your breath for extended periods of time, brain cells die and they dont grow back, and if your body (the brain in particular) is deprived of oxygen for more than say, 3 to 4 minutes I would start to be concered about longer lasting brain damage. Seeing as how oxygen is vital to the functioning of the body, there are also any host of other things that the body is unable to do while you are oxygen deprived.

As for your question about how lon can you hold breath, you can already see from the answers you've gotten here, that there are many many factors which come into play. Long term smokers will have no chance due to reduced lung compasity and athletes will be able to hold for muuuuch longer. But, for the rest of us non althetes and non smokers, I would expect the notmal to be somewhere between 50-90 seconds or so!

know about scuba diving

Interesting question!! 

I am astounded that after 25 years of spearfishing, surfing ect. I cant hold my breath longer than a minuet. i especially would like to know from you tuna fisherman how How long do you offshore guys hold your breath.