What Food Did You Hate As A Kid?

Scarlet Fever

Alfredo sauce. I actually still hate it to this day. I also HATE anything on my sandwiches besides meat, cheese and veggies. Mustard, mayo and ketchup ewwww!!!!

Alfredo sauce was practically a major food-staple when I was about 14. lol....Needless to say, I was a chunky teen, not fat, just chunky. Then it all "fell" off right after high school ( thank you, stock job at Target...How you like me now, boys-who-wouldn't-date-me-in-high-school?! What?! I'm not bitter. lol).

I've actually never tried artichoke...not by itself anyway. Or Okra for that matter. I should get on that. I'm still trying to find foods my fellow will eat. He's a carnivore.

My grandmother made me afraid of mushrooms when I was a kid. Of course, my grandmother made me afraid of a lot of nonsense stuff when I was a kid. Mushrooms were just one example. She convinced me that there was a chance I could end up with a poisonous mushroom in my food, so I was afraid to eat them. I was too young to realize that they came from a mushroom farm, so there couldn't be any poisonous ones that accidentally end up in the package. I still wouldn't eat them for many years. I like them now, though.

I love your use of the word "nemesis"

That definitely described two foods when I was younger. One being bananas. I didn't particularly like them, so my mom had this ploy of walking them towards me, with them saying "Eat me." o_O I still don't eat bananas. Every time I hear the word, I think of that, and they sound extremely, un-appetizing.

Then there was lettuce. For some unknown reason, having never tried it, I'd refuse and act like it would kill me. My mom would try telling me I couldn't leave the table until I at least tried it, or I couldn't have ice cream until I tried it. After sitting at the table for an hour after everyone else left, she gave up. Now, it turns out, my body/brain knew what it was doing. Now, my body reacts badly if I accidentally ingest lettuce, like in a taco. So I have a sort of allergy or something to it.

I don't really think that making kids sit at the table if they don't finish every really gets kids to eat it. Or maybe that was just me being too stubborn to admit defeat :whistle: I appreciate the fact that it taught me that sticking with your convictions is hard work and there are consequences to your decisions though. I really don't understand when parents claim that their kids are just 'picky light' eaters when the kids totally just scarfs down tons of junk and maybe like 1 chicken nugget because the parents don't push the kids to eat different things. Yes, kids are picky eaters but if your child only eats chicken nuggets for dinner but eats cake, candy, chips, and whatever else during the day, the kids are pulling one over on you.

I love your use of the word "nemesis"

That definitely described two foods when I was younger. One being bananas. I didn't particularly like them, so my mom had this ploy of walking them towards me, with them saying "Eat me." o_O I still don't eat bananas. Every time I hear the word, I think of that, and they sound extremely, un-appetizing.

Then there was lettuce. For some unknown reason, having never tried it, I'd refuse and act like it would kill me. My mom would try telling me I couldn't leave the table until I at least tried it, or I couldn't have ice cream until I tried it. After sitting at the table for an hour after everyone else left, she gave up. Now, it turns out, my body/brain knew what it was doing. Now, my body reacts badly if I accidentally ingest lettuce, like in a taco. So I have a sort of allergy or something to it.

Omg, you need to try Banana bread,

It's so good xD;

I looove finding ways to make unappetizing foods cooked in a healthy way and taste good, like brussel sprouts.

Ugh I absolute hate how my parents prepared it, just plain steamed.

But I found a easy way to prepare it, lightly tossed with extra virgin olive oil, fresh crushed sea salt and freshly grounded black pepper then roast it in the oven.

I can even get the most pickiest of my niece and nephews to eat it and they're 4 xD;

It's almost tastes like crunchy french fries with a bit of a soft center

Alfredo sauce was practically a major food-staple when I was about 14. lol....Needless to say, I was a chunky teen, not fat, just chunky. Then it all "fell" off right after high school ( thank you, stock job at Target...How you like me now, boys-who-wouldn't-date-me-in-high-school?! What?! I'm not bitter. lol).

I've actually never tried artichoke...not by itself anyway. Or Okra for that matter. I should get on that. I'm still trying to find foods my fellow will eat. He's a carnivore.

I know, I'm a chunky girl too. It doesn't phase me, I recently lost 5 pounds but I'm confident either way. I love Okra. My Grandma is from North Carolina so she makes it all the time. Okra, bread 'n' butter pickles, chicken and pastry, country ham, and chocolate syurp cake....I love soul food. The only thing I don't like is grits, that grainy, sloppy, ewww!

Guest ErikaChristine

I have always hated milk. It made me sick when I was young, and ever since then I just can't drink a cup of milk. I'll happily eat ice cream or anything with milk in it, but plain old milk grosses me out.

And despite being 21, I still refuse to eat asparagus or spinach. :)

I have always hated milk. It made me sick when I was young, and ever since then I just can't drink a cup of milk. I'll happily eat ice cream or anything with milk in it, but plain old milk grosses me out.

I'm with you on this one. I've never liked milk, but I would always drink it as a kid. I would drink chocolate milk, though. Plain white milk is yuck, and the less fat there is in it, the less I like it. I love everything I can think of that's made with milk - cheese, yogourt, ice cream, whipped cream, sour cream, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Onions. I still hate em, the thought of eating em makes me gag.

Raw onions are so nasty! I can eat them as long as they've been cooked.

I also hate salt. One time I was in a restruant and saw this guy literally soak his plate in salt. I was almost positive he'd ask for a refill for his salt shaker. It just masks the foods natural flavor.

• 2 weeks later...

Olives. I still can't stand them!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Onions!

Onions and me have always had a dicey relationship. I will eat them these days but only if they're cooked very well.

Also, I've never cared for lettuce unless I wash/prepare it myself, it never tastes clean otherwise. D:

Honestly, I was and still am a bit of a picky eater. I want to be a chef though so I need to get over that! x___x

The only thing I really dislike and still don't eat today is fish - but I love every other kind of seafood, which is a bit weird. I think it just has a particularly strong flavour and it's not something I'm keen on even when battered/fried. I had a very humiliating experience visiting a boyfriend's house for the first time and his parents cooked a lovely fish dish, which I barely touched. I felt so awful, but that's the one thing that I really can't stand. :(

Wow, looks like a ton of people hate onions. I personally kind of like them (cooked only) but two of my friends REALLY hate them. We always make fun of each other for it XD

What's really disgusting though is cauliflower (at least to me). It's like broccoli with all the color and flavor drained and with added ickyness. And I didn't even really like broccoli in the first place, so eating them was just hell....

Used to hate broccoli, spinach, and brusselsprouts. Now I like the first, sometimes like the second, but I still abhor the third. XD