Neopets Adding Facebook 'Like' Options

hrtbrk

I hope so! I just sort of panicked cause facebook is linked to so much bad stuff. There's been some big stories in the UK in the past couple of years of things of that nature, so obviously I'm concerned. As long as it's safe I have no problem with it, I just hope it is.

It's also linked to very good things, like a successful revolt in Egypt. :)

But that's beside the point.

I find this development... unsettling. I do not approve. I'm sure some people will be perfectly happy to make use of it though, so good for them. I personally won't be using it, but I only use Facebook for coordinating events, sharing pictures, and keeping tabs on some of my *actual real life people I usually talk to* friends.

I'm neutral on this - Facebook is a tool like any other, it can be used for better or for worse, but really it's up to you as the user to decide. It's nice that those of us who don't have Facebook accounts will be able to disable the redundant button though. :yes:

And now, on to the obligatory technical explanation (which Heartbreak seems to have pre-empted xD ). *goes to read Facebook API documentation*

I don't really know much about computers and hacking and whatnot but if you put your facebook info into your neopets is there not a way of somebody finding that information out?

I've watched a couple of documentaries about how awful facebook is for predators and stalkers and things so I just don't trust that being linked to neopets.

I don't use FB, but I don't believe that's how it works. The FB info wouldn't be posted on Neopets. It's the other way around. On your FB, depending on your privacy settings, it would show what on Neopets you "liked". That's it.

I hope so! I just sort of panicked cause facebook is linked to so much bad stuff. There's been some big stories in the UK in the past couple of years of things of that nature, so obviously I'm concerned. As long as it's safe I have no problem with it, I just hope it is.

You won't be putting any Facebook information on Neopets. The button will only work if you're previously logged into facebook via facebook. It automatically sync's up via the button :) No login will be submitted on Neopets at all.

*waits for Theo to explain how it works* :P

Yes, there is no way that Neopets can get a hold of your personal details from Facebook simply by putting a Like button on their pages. The way the system is built keeps your Neopets information and your Facebook information separate, on different computer systems. The only exception is that you will be passing Facebook the URL of any pages you hit 'Like' on, which is kinda the actual point of hitting the button.

Let me try and explain the system without confusing everyone (and to those who are more familiar with the API(s) than me, apologies for any inaccuracies - please feel free to correct me).

Basically, if you load a Neopets page with a Like button on it, the button won't actually be part of the Neopets code. What will actually be in the page is a little bit of code that will tell your web browser, "Hey, call up Facebook and ask them for a Like button please."

Your browser will then connect to Facebook (using your Facebook account if you're logged in there), load the button from them, and put it on the page for you. The button then belongs completely to Facebook - only Facebook and your web browser will be aware of it, Neopets can't even tell if you've successfully loaded the button. If you click that button, your web browser sends the page URL to Facebook and only Facebook. Everything that happens after that is either between Facebook and your web browser, or within Facebook entirely. There's no way Neopets can see what's going on, and your Facebook details never mix with the Neopets servers (neither do your Neopets details mix with the Facebook servers).

Obvious caveat: If your privacy settings on Facebook are set to allow everyone to see what you've hit 'Like' on, well, obviously 'everyone' includes Neopets. Facebook has systems that will then allow Neopets to send you updates and advertisements (on Facebook of course). Even then, TNT won't be able to figure out which Neopets account is tied to your Facebook account (unless it's painfully obvious, or they actually go to the trouble of pulling off some serious coding shenanigans).

I like Neopets way more than facebook & I don't think Neopets need to behave like FB or Youtube or any other websites with a like button. I believe Neopets has it's own big group of faithful users who have been playing it since it started out without a 'like' button. The like button is overrated, I feel.

It saddens me how an enterprise born out of deceit and theft can grow to be so popular. And it saddens me even more that corporations with supposed values, like Neopets, adapts itself to help that awful corporation to grow even larger. There should be no reward for immoral beahvior. Boo for Neo! :grrr:

Facebook being involved never bodes well...I don't like it. Hopefully when you turn it off it won't keep coming back "randomly" like so many facebook features seem to...

On another note, I've heard of a neopets fan page on facebook...could this be related?! (Conspiracy theories have begun springing into my head...)

> _ >

< _ <

I believe the whole point of this is to allow people get involved with the Neopets fan page on Facebook... *shrug*

According to a recently post on [Removed] Neopets will soon be intergrating Facebook features throughout the site - what do you guys think?

Here's the faq on this.

Questions and answers from the FAQ:

I see that Facebook is now being integrated into Neopets. Does that mean I can talk about Facebook on the message boards?

Yes, you can reference Facebook on the message boards as well as talk about content that is posted on the Neopets Facebook page. Hooray! However, you still can't post your personal Facebook account information or any links to offsite content.

What if I don't want to see the Facebook “Like” and other buttons on my Neopets pages?

If you visit your User Preferences, you can choose to remove all social networking content from appearing on your Neopets account.

Will everyone be able to “Like” Neopets and Neopets content on Facebook?

Only players 13 years and older are allowed to use the Facebook features.

What do you guys think about this? Do you think it helps Neopets promote on Facebook - and makes it easier for them to stay connected, or, do you not like this?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not post links that lead to sites with content that is against Neopets' rules. The link has been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I hope they aren't related, I hope if you like something on the page it won't post that on your wall or something. Because I don't have a FB *facepalm*

But I'm sure we can use it even if we don't have a FB.

But yes, I'm pretty sure I'm turning it off as soon as I can :)

On another note, I've heard of a neopets fan page on facebook...could this be related?!

TNT already has a fan page that they occasionally post things on such as pictures and new things comming up and what not. If you want to see if you can see it here http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Neopets You don't even need an account to see it.

I hope they aren't related, I hope if you like something on the page it won't post that on your wall or something. Because I don't have a FB *facepalm*

But I'm sure we can use it even if we don't have a FB.

That's exactly what the 'like' button does. Whatever you press the like button on shows up in the newsfeeds of whichever people/friends you let see your wall and whatnot depending on your personal privacy settings so no, without a facebook account there is absolutely no use for the button.

I don't see an issue with it, but I really hope it doesn't go down the "like this event and get x amount of np!" road. That would be really terrible.

tbh if it does that i see inflation getting worse..and im going to be a hyprocrite and make a fake facebook just to do that

I'm not a big fan of facebook. I don't think it's as good as everyone says it is. I'm glad I can turn off the little facebook icons all over neopets. Its not a big deal to me though. I'm sure some people like it. I mean last time I checked Nimmo's Pond had 58 likes. Who knows how many other games have gotten?

I don't really know much about computers and hacking and whatnot but if you put your facebook info into your neopets is there not a way of somebody finding that information out?

I've watched a couple of documentaries about how awful facebook is for predators and stalkers and things so I just don't trust that being linked to neopets.

I code with the Facebook API on XCode, and I can confirm that this isn't how the 'Like' button works.

Basically, all that clicking the button will do is send a notification to Facebook's servers, which will check if you're logged in, then if you are it will post something to your Facebook profile to the tune of 'This Guy likes Neopets Games'. Neopets will not store or publish Facebook account details of any users, even if somebody hacked into another person's Neopets account, they wouldn't be able to find out their Facebook account.

I'm quite neutral on this, I mean it's good advertising for Neopets I guess, but not really very useful for us. On League of Legends (another game I play), you get a free in-game item for 'Liking' their Facebook profile, wouldn't mind seeing something similar on Neopets, like some NP or a scratch card or something. Even just attaching your referrer ID to the page when you 'Like' would be good, but I doubt they will.