Neopets Adding Facebook 'Like' Options

hrtbrk

Today TNT released via the News that they will be adding Facebook 'Like' Buttons to several sections of the website such as the homepage, the Games Room, and to a few specific games. What this means is, if you like something, you click the button and it will post that you liked it on your Facebook page.

34rb11v.png

If you don't have a Facebook account, or just don't want to use the feature, you can turn it off in your preferences. You also won't see any Facebook functionality if you're under 13. They will also be adding a link to their official page on Facebook in the footer.

I'm just happy you can turn that off =DD

I'm not on facebook and I don't like it so I don't want to see that button all the time xD Its annoying enough to get all the facebook spam in my mailbox ^^"

Wow. I don't really know what to say.

This is... No. Just no...

Nya you can turn it off so why its just no? ^^"

I mean I don't like facebook at all but when you can turn it off it doesn't affect you. For the people who like facebook its a nice thing I think.

(I just read you're signature - at least the squirrels didn't steal the cookies, when I was in Davos a little squirrel stole my chocolate << It didn't even had nuts in it was just milk chocolate ><""")

Yes, but I don't like facebook and I definatley don't like Neo using facebook more and more like they've been doing.

So would it be important to check the facebook page? oO I didnt even know they have one ^^"

But I wouldn't see anything anyway since I don't have a account...

That's really really bad. What are they thinking?

Even if it's restricted for those under 13, you can just lie on neopets and pretend you're older.

There are predators on the internet, and neopets is a target for that. If they're linked there may be a chance of finding someone's facebook via neopets.

Why do TNT work so hard to protect younger users and then do this? It doesn't make any sense!

I'm sure TNT isn't liable if a child lies about their age.

I didn't think this was going to be so controversial. It only works if you have a facebook account to begin with and just adds that you liked it on your news feed - which only your accepted friends should be able to see. Otherwise it's just a button on a page.

If you don't have Facebook, just turn it off.

I don't really see this as a big deal. It could be awesome for those who are interested and those who aren't have the option to turn it off so it's really win-win.

Also, nowhere in the post did TNT say they would be posting YOUR facebook information anywhere. TNT doesn't allow you to post personal contact information so I don't think they would change that. There's nothing inappropriate about this at all. Even if a 13 yr old lies about their age, links their facebook, all that happens is... their friends can see things they like on Neopets on the news feed. <_<

I think this is kind of cool for the people that care about facebook. Most businesses (around here anyway) have their own facebook page, so I'm not sure why it's bad or surprising that something like Neopets would have one. If you don't like/want it, you can just turn it off, so it's not as though it's hurting anyone.

I'm sure TNT isn't liable if a child lies about their age.

I didn't think this was going to be so controversial. It only works if you have a facebook account to begin with and just adds that you liked it on your news feed - which only your accepted friends should be able to see. Otherwise it's just a button on a page.

If you don't have Facebook, just turn it off.

I don't really know much about computers and hacking and whatnot but if you put your facebook info into your neopets is there not a way of somebody finding that information out?

I've watched a couple of documentaries about how awful facebook is for predators and stalkers and things so I just don't trust that being linked to neopets.

I don't really know much about computers and hacking and whatnot but if you put your facebook info into your neopets is there not a way of somebody finding that information out?

I've watched a couple of documentaries about how awful facebook is for predators and stalkers and things so I just don't trust that being linked to neopets.

I don't use FB, but I don't believe that's how it works. The FB info wouldn't be posted on Neopets. It's the other way around. On your FB, depending on your privacy settings, it would show what on Neopets you "liked". That's it.

I don't use FB, but I don't believe that's how it works. The FB info wouldn't be posted on Neopets. It's the other way around. On your FB, depending on your privacy settings, it would show what on Neopets you "liked". That's it.

I hope so! I just sort of panicked cause facebook is linked to so much bad stuff. There's been some big stories in the UK in the past couple of years of things of that nature, so obviously I'm concerned. As long as it's safe I have no problem with it, I just hope it is.

Oh dear, they aren't really doing this are they?

Facebook is taking over. :ph34r:

It already has. It's taken over the world. Their Facebook page is enough, I think, we don't need to see it taking over the site either. At least it's safe, no personal info will be sent by clicking the Like button, but... :rolleyes_anim:

I hope so! I just sort of panicked cause facebook is linked to so much bad stuff.

I feel very bad about this...someone somewhere will figure out how to scam us through Facebook.

You may say "nay." But mark my words, this will turn out to be a disaster on some level. -nodnod-

You won't be putting any Facebook information on Neopets. The button will only work if you're previously logged into facebook via facebook. It automatically sync's up via the button :) No login will be submitted on Neopets at all.

*waits for Theo to explain how it works* :P

Goodness people, wow with the hating and worry and what not.

On your FB, depending on your privacy settings, it would show what on Neopets you "liked". That's it.

This is absolutely true. It's one way like all other site including youtube and a plethora of other sites. Whatever you 'like' is in no way linked to your neopets account. Solely your facebook. And again, your privacy setting dictate at that, who can see it. Also people worried about under 13 people lying, the fact that these kids have facebooks is of more concern than that fact that they are liking something since once again people on neopets won't be able to see or click on profiles.

Admittedly though, I will not be using this function because I mean, really who needs to know if I like a game or not? Some people share entirely too much on Facebook <_<

Admittedly though, it is possible to code it in to show other people who have liked the item if you yourself are logged into facebook and like it also, but I seriously doubt they would add that in, and that would still depend on your privacy settings.

It was annoying not being able to mention stuff about FB on neo, like when they released the forum asking what you would like to see this year and stuff like that. I'm not for or against it, but if it allows you to mention this outside site, it's not too bad...though not everyone uses it.

I can't do anything with new new "like" thing. I can't find it anywhere, nor is it in my preferences.