I've gone Vegan -medical risks?

chubit

I've always been vegetarian but on new years I went vegan. I've done a lot of research and have bought a lot of vegan alternatives so my diet doesn't go downhill. I've also been carefully watching my weight so I don't lose too much.

However a lot of people seem certain that no matter what I'm endagering myself - most of the time they have no real proof, so I wanted to open it up to you guys who seem to have a lot to say about a lot of things. :laughingsmiley:

Also, have you ever tried being vegan/vegetarian?

Do you have any recipes/tips/advice? ^_^

Personally I'd say that vegetarianism is a far healthier way of eating. A vegan diet often needs to be supplemented with vitamins and minerals etc, which to me suggests that it is not a natural diet for a human, whilst vegetarianism doesn't require the additional vitamins etc.

I wouldn't say you have to supplement you diet, I don't take supplements I just make sure I eat complete protiens & the right types of vegetables.

I've never really been a meat eater - my parents only brought me up on white meat & I gave that up as soon as I realised the affects that has on animals.

First of all, Congratulations! You're another person who chose the healthy life, good for you and for the animals :) I understand that it's quite difficult not to eat meat, because it's almost everywhere, and I'm very glad for you.

Now, I totally agree with Secre, you HAVE to take supplements, otherwise, you won't get some essential nutrients that are only present in milk products, meat, etc, that you won't eat because of your strict diet.

There are, tough, some amino that are ONLY present in meat, and if you don't get the others, it will have severe consecquences for your health, as your body need these to work well. I know these things because my mom is a nutritionist, so it's a very professional opinion.

In the other hand, I am a vegetarian myself, and I eat some wonderful meals made of soy and mushrooms instead of meat (Burgers, pizza, sausages, salads, etc. Mmm, I got hungry! :laughingsmiley: ), and I'm doing well, I've never been sick of something related to nutririon. ;)

I reccomend you this page: http://www.haztevegetariano.com/. It is in spanish, but it has LOTS of no-meat, yummy recipies that are very easy to prepare. You can also look for recipies on PETA's webpage, I'm preety sure they have some good ones.

I hope this helps you! :laughingsmiley:

I live my life as a fox, so I can't help you there.

I avoid most dairy products as they make me sick to begin with.

I will, however, readily eat meat, vegetables, and some types of fruit, like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries.

I don't believe that being vegan is healthier, because eating meat is natural. Please try to explain why else we would have canine teeth.

I've always been vegetarian but on new years I went vegan. I've done a lot of research and have bought a lot of vegan alternatives so my diet doesn't go downhill. I've also been carefully watching my weight so I don't lose too much.

However a lot of people seem certain that no matter what I'm endagering myself - most of the time they have no real proof, so I wanted to open it up to you guys who seem to have a lot to say about a lot of things. :laughingsmiley:

Also, have you ever tried being vegan/vegetarian?

Do you have any recipes/tips/advice? ^_^

I'm canine when it comes to eating, but my cousin James started vegetarian then went vegan a couple years ago, and he's fine. Well, he's James so he's as OK as possible :laughingsmiley: But yeah, his entire T-Giving is vegan, and yet he's okay, so I don't know of any dangers. I'd just keep doing what you're doing, some people've said supplements, which is prolly a good move. :)

I'm not vegetarian, but I don't eat meat a lot because I don't like the taste.

I would say you should write down what you eat and how you are feeling.

I'm wondering: Why did you start to go vegan?

I dont get this at all ^^" (Don't get me wrong - I think its interesting I want to understand why people do that)

And how about sweets?

I work in a candy store and we have sweets for vegetarian. But they are all made with honey instead of gelatin.

But you cant eat that right?

Are there sweets you can eat? I mean besides licorice, something like gummy bears/ jelly beans and so on.

And what about chocolate oO (Im Swiss I cant help it sry xD)

In the other hand, I am a vegetarian myself, and I eat some wonderful meals made of soy and mushrooms instead of meat

Aren't mushrooms living organism too?

Where is the line? I mean for people who don't eat meat because of the animals.

Animals are delicious.

Vegans are always super skinny and sickly-looking.

I couldn't disagree more.

My mom is vegan, and has been for about three years. Before that she was vegetarian.

I have 5 good friends that are vegan, and most of them have been that way since early elementary school (we're in mid high-school now). My mom knows many other adults who are vegan, too.

(I myself am vegetarian.)

And NO, none of them are super skinny. Nor are they sickly-looking. At all. In fact, two of them run varsity track and long-distance events like the 2-mile, and are very competitive and strong. Two are on my dance team, and I can honestly say that they look like they weigh just about as much as all of my other meat-eating friends of comparable height. In fact, I could even say that they look even more healthy and fit in terms of body composition than many others I know.

To generalize vegans as always super skinny and sickly-looking is a gross misconception.

However, I am not saying that sickly-looking, super-skinny vegans do not exist in this world, nor that everyone who becomes vegan will not acquire these traits. I am only asserting that they are NOT parallel with veganism and in no way apply to all or even most vegans.

Similarly, I am in no way denouncing meat-eating. Diet is a personal choice, and just because I choose to not consume meat, I don't want to meddle in other people's affairs and try to push them one way or the other.

-------------------------

On a slightly different topic:

There are ways to go around taking supplementary pills and rather unnatural stuff like that with a vegetarian and even a vegan diet. My mother is a vegan and takes absolutely no supplementary pills (and of course neither do I). I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just not necessary if you get the right foods. It's probably more important to watch what you eat to make sure you're getting everything you need if you're vegan, but I personally don't think about it at all. I eat what I want to, which includes lots and lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc.-- I eat practically anything that's edible as long as it's not meat. xD

My mom's probably a little above average in her body weight for her height and age, and so am I. We've got plenty of fat. xD Veganism/vegetarianism won't magically make it disappear. ;)

And how about sweets?

I work in a candy store and we have sweets for vegetarian. But they are all made with honey instead of gelatin.

But you cant eat that right?

Are there sweets you can eat? I mean besides licorice, something like gummy bears/ jelly beans and so on.

And what about chocolate oO (Im Swiss I cant help it sry xD)

There's vegan chocolate. It's delicious, and doesn't taste much different from normal chocolate.

There's vegan cake, vegan ice cream, vegan yogurt, vegan cheese, even vegan meat (like tofurkey and stuff). ;) I love them all-- it's not like vegans live a deprived life style with nothing but broccoli and bread on their plates every night. xD

As for your second point, I agree. I'm not vegetarian for animal rights, just because... I prefer it, I guess. I don't even really know. But I also think that mushrooms are so genetically and evolutionarily far away from us that it's conceptually easier to handle (for those people who don't eat meat for animal rights). Also, they don't feel physical pain and aren't... conscious in the way we know it (as in, I don't think they have a nervous system or a brain or anything like that. xD)

Anyway, sorry about rambling so much, and I don't intend to offend anyone with what I've written.

Best of luck as a vegan, Chubit! <3

There's vegan chocolate. It's delicious, and doesn't taste much different from normal chocolate.

There's vegan cake, vegan ice cream, vegan yogurt, vegan cheese, even vegan meat (like tofurkey and stuff). ;) I love them all-- it's not like vegans live a deprived life style with nothing but broccoli and bread on their plates every night. xD

As for your second point, I agree. I'm not vegetarian for animal rights, just because... I prefer it, I guess. I don't even really know. But I also think that mushrooms are so genetically and evolutionarily far away from us that it's conceptually easier to handle (for those people who don't eat meat for animal rights). Also, they don't feel physical pain and aren't... conscious in the way we know it (as in, I don't think they have a nervous system or a brain or anything like that. xD)

Anyway, sorry about rambling so much, and I don't intend to offend anyone with what I've written.

Best of luck as a vegan, Chubit! <3

=D I didn't know there where so much vegan food out there.

Can you buy this at normal stores or do you have special stores for vegan?

My sister is lactose intolerance and just a year back there weren't any special foods for her besides milk. Now you can buy yoghurt (and so on) in normal stores.

I live in a small country, the vegan stuff is coming but I think it will take a few years until you can buy special vegan food in the normal stores.

Is there a sign for vegan food?

Hmm yeah but you cant proof that animals feel the pain as we do.

I dont know how to say this right oÒ

I know a lot of vegetarian but NON of them is really strict. I mean they say they do that because of the poor little animals but they eat sweets and stuff with gelatin rolleyes_anim.gif

I personally cant understand vegetarian who do it out of animal rights but I think its good if you believe in it. But then you should be really strict <<"

I couldn't disagree more.

My mom is vegan, and has been for about three years. Before that she was vegetarian.

I have 5 good friends that are vegan, and most of them have been that way since early elementary school (we're in mid high-school now). My mom knows many other adults who are vegan, too.

(I myself am vegetarian.)

And NO, none of them are super skinny. Nor are they sickly-looking. At all. In fact, two of them run varsity track and long-distance events like the 2-mile, and are very competitive and strong. Two are on my dance team, and I can honestly say that they look like they weigh just about as much as all of my other meat-eating friends of comparable height. In fact, I could even say that they look even more healthy and fit in terms of body composition than many others I know.

To generalize vegans as always super skinny and sickly-looking is a gross misconception.

However, I am not saying that sickly-looking, super-skinny vegans do not exist in this world, nor that everyone who becomes vegan will not acquire these traits. I am only asserting that they are NOT parallel with veganism and in no way apply to all or even most vegans.

Similarly, I am in no way denouncing meat-eating. Diet is a personal choice, and just because I choose to not consume meat, I don't want to meddle in other people's affairs and try to push them one way or the other.

I was just aggravating, ease up there hoss.

:P

:eh: I'm not really sure your point here because practically everything we eat except water is a living organism, aka lettuce, wheat, rice, fruits...Or I guess maybe that is your point :eh:

Vegetarians don't draw the line at living organism but generally I believe sentient beings aka animals not plant life.

Personally I'm not vegetarian but I can respect and appreciate when people chose to go vegetarian. Sadly on the other hand, vegan, no so much, probably mostly because of the vegans I have met, a lot of them were practically attacking everyone else because we didn't choose to go vegan (definitely not saying you are in that category). Also, can't say I support the vegan side of life because a lot of vegan products you buy from the store are SUPER processed. Even more so than junk every day stuff just because of the amount of work it takes to replicate egg products is ridiculous. Also, the same goes for replicating milk products like soy milk, though I must admit, I have to drink that do to stomach issues. I'm not saying you cannot do vegan healthy but a lot of the vegan products available at the store are actually less healthy for you than the regular/vegetarian products.

Good luck with your new venture none the less. I also second the you should probably start taking some sort of vitamins vote though.

A lot of people don't understand the vegan lifestyle, mostly because of the western culture we live in. Just because we can eat meat doesn't mean that we should. Vegetarians and vegans lead perfectly healthy and full lives, and never has there been a life threatening situation where a vegan needed to be rushed to the hospital because of mal-nutrition (unless they were anorexic or all they ate was junk food... but that's not because of the veganism) Meat, egg, and milk products are everywhere, and hard to avoid, which is why I admire vegans. I myself am a vegetarian.

I think that everyone, no matter what your diet is, should take supplements. They aren't there to replace food, just as "just in case", or fillers of where you missed vitamins and minerals that day. Vegetarians do not need to take supplements any more than meat eaters do because vegetarians can get all the same nutrients as meat eaters. However, vegans do have one supplement that they absolute should take: B12. B12 does not exist anywhere else than in meat and meat by products (AKA milk and eggs). If people lived in the wild, we could get this vitamin from soil or from unfiltered fresh water, but unfortunately, everything that we eat now is hyper cleaned. So if you're vegan, remember to take your B12! and even if you're not it is a good thing to take, helps prevent you from getting sleepy :)

Anyway, I don't want to seem like I'm challenging meat eaters. I'm not. A diet can be an extremely personal thing, and I have no business there. But I am happy with mine, and I am as healthy as a horse! So hurray for broccoli!

Just because we can eat meat doesn't mean that we should. Vegetarians and vegans lead perfectly healthy and full lives, and never has there been a life threatening situation where a vegan needed to be rushed to the hospital because of mal-nutrition (unless they were anorexic or all they ate was junk food... but that's not because of the veganism)

I certainly should eat meat, I can say that for a fact. I was born with canine teeth for a reason. Velociraptors had canine teeth. Wolves, foxes, cats, dogs, all have canine teeth. What is the purpose of canine teeth? They evolved and are used primarily for firmly holding food in order to tear it apart, and occasionally as weapons.

http://www.hugesettlements.com/Personal-Injury/3098.html

Oh really? Not a single person?

I think that everyone, no matter what your diet is, should take supplements. They aren't there to replace food, just as "just in case", or fillers of where you missed vitamins and minerals that day.

I disagree!!

If you eat varied - all sort of things you don't need that.

Besides that I would NEVER take pills just in case. (I mean vitamins and what not)

I think this pill madness we live in to day is just to make a LOT of money.

Its not even proven that they are healthy - there are many studies out there.

Sometimes I get the feeling we take the pills to early when it would work without... Like with sleeping pills instead of looking closer what that mean (stress, depression and so on) - take a pill.

I can see it if I watch tv (what is REALLY rare) You can see a young, healthy looking woman, go out jogging she returns, take an apple and THEN a vitamin pill oO So it suggest that you can live as healthy as you want its not enough...

But sure if you don't eat meat/milk/eggs it seams necessary (even for me)

Or in other cases, like I have a common woman problem: iron deficiency

I had to take the pills for a few month and now I just have to watch what I'm eating so I get enough.

I'm not really sure your point here because practically everything we eat except water is a living organism, aka lettuce, wheat, rice, fruits...Or I guess maybe that is your point :eh:

Exactly xD

I was working in a garden center, and we had for example

and

And I saw that many people treated there plants like pets ^^

NO kidding! We did an over winter service and there was a woman I had to take once a week with me to her plant^^"

And then she was standing in front of it, talking to it and really pet it oÒ

another questions: are there any restaurants for vegans? I mean there are for vegetarian even here (I love to go there =D Just a bit expensive)

I haven't read any of the replies, I've just jumped right in so forgive me but I was vegan for ten years, congrats on your choice! Like any diet, make sure you get all the nutrition you need and you'll be fine. There are TONS of books for recipes but I usually stay with vegweb.com because it's free :)

PETA and a couple of other AR organizations have jump-start plans that were balanced by professionals to help you get in the swing of things and be healthy.

Remember to take b12 supplements, it's the only vitamin not "naturally" found in a vegan diet today, unless you're eating/drinking fake meats/milks that are foritified. A good multi is a great idea for everyone, even meat eaters. My favorite was always... I think... advanced vegan... or something from veganessentials.com It's a bit more expensive but I think worked better than the store brands that happened to be vegan.

:laughingsmiley:

That's insane! Probably not an accurate reflection on all vegans but still insane! Babies of all mammals drink milk so what in the name of heaven and hell did those idiots think they were doing by putting her on a vegan diet???? Absolute idiots. Surely most parents would realise that children have more nutritional requirements than adults though!

As i did not read the other posts, im not sure if this was said. but, as long as you can get your vitamins and correct nutrients while being vegan there is nothing wrong with it. my friends a vegan and hes perfectly healthy. personally, i love meat but thats just me. good luck with everything :)

I certainly should eat meat, I can say that for a fact. I was born with canine teeth for a reason.

Well if your belief is that some god/s want you to eat meat and so gave you canines then that is, of course, harder to argue with. But if you subscribe to evolutionary theories then there are other reasons we might be "born with" things other than that we are 'supposed to use them.'

Velociraptors had canine teeth. Wolves, foxes, cats, dogs, all have canine teeth. What is the purpose of canine teeth? They evolved and are used primarily for firmly holding food in order to tear it apart, and occasionally as weapons.

Yeah man, just look at the canines on this ferocious carnivore!

gallery-hippo-lrg.jpg

The mere presence of canine teeth doesn't really indicate a lot when it comes to diet. Obviously we are able to eat meat, but to go from there and say that it is a "fact" that we "should eat meat" is quite the leap.

Well if your belief is that some god/s want you to eat meat and so gave you canines then that is, of course, harder to argue with. But if you subscribe to evolutionary theories then there are other reasons we might be "born with" things other than that we are 'supposed to use them.'

Yeah man, just look at the canines on this ferocious carnivore!

gallery-hippo-lrg.jpg

The mere presence of canine teeth doesn't really indicate a lot when it comes to diet. Obviously we are able to eat meat, but to go from there and say that it is a "fact" that we "should eat meat" is quite the leap.

Humans do not need our teeth for defense. We do not have an elongated snout. Hippos use their teeth for defense, they are a VERY dangerous animal. Notice that they have an elongated snout. As humans do not need them for defense, the only other use for them would be for eating meat. It IS fact, as without supplements, you would get sick, as meat contains an amino acid that you require.

In the past the human ate meat for a long, long time so our body got used to it.

Like the asian aren't used to milk so they have problem with lactose intolerance. (sure I talk 'in general' the exception proves to rule) I think lactose intolerance is a god example for a change in human eating habits and the effect of it:

We are supposed to drink mother milk, but after that we lost the enzyme to get rid of the milk sugar.

till the domestication. Then the adults drank milk too so they didn't lost the enzyme.

But nowadays they put milk sugar in a lot of foods (sure its cheap) and thats the reason so many people get lactose intolerance because our bodies aren't suppose to deal with so much milk sugar.

But it will get used to =D

I have a great article read about it but in german^^"

Therefore I think its necessary to take b12.

Because are bodies are use to meat.

For me its natural to eat meat.

We are a animal, an omnivore, that also eat other animal. I cant see a problem in it as long as the animal had a good life.

When I buy meat I know from which farmer it came from, I even could ask the name of it.

I grew up in a small village. I saw the animal born, I helped to look after them and then I ate them. For others it sounds cruel but for me its just natural^^"

Hey! Glad to see there's another veggie fiend on the run. :D

I've been vegetarian for about three years, and I've found the thing I need to watch out for personally is getting enough calories. Protein has never been an issue for me since I eat so much soy, but as most vegan products are low calorie that's one thing you should be sure you're getting enough of, especially if you're slim and have a high metabolism to begin with. B-12 is a biggie for vegans as it isn't found in great supply in non animal products, but there are plenty of supplements for it readily available at any nature shop. Good luck!

For me its natural to eat meat.

We are a animal, an omnivore, that also eat other animal. I cant see a problem in it as long as the animal had a good life.

When I buy meat I know from which farmer it came from, I even could ask the name of it.

I grew up in a small village. I saw the animal born, I helped to look after them and then I ate them. For others it sounds cruel but for me its just natural^^"

I totally agree. I was a vegetarian for about a year in high school because of the moral issues surrounding the meat industry. But then I looked at where I lived, realized that, holy crap, there are cattle farms everywhere, and I can see the animals are wandering around, grazing and frolicking and whatnot, so why don't I buy from them instead of the imported stuff that's been jacked up on hormones that you find in Safeway and stuff? I think it's way less stressful for the animal to be slaughtered where it grew up than to be shipped to a processing plant and put in a tight space with other stressed out animals. If you raise the animals yourself, you know exactly what you're getting and you have peace of mind that the animal lived a good life.

=D I didn't know there where so much vegan food out there.

Can you buy this at normal stores or do you have special stores for vegan?

My sister is lactose intolerance and just a year back there weren't any special foods for her besides milk. Now you can buy yoghurt (and so on) in normal stores.

I live in a small country, the vegan stuff is coming but I think it will take a few years until you can buy special vegan food in the normal stores.

Is there a sign for vegan food?

Hmm yeah but you cant proof that animals feel the pain as we do.

I dont know how to say this right oÒ

I know a lot of vegetarian but NON of them is really strict. I mean they say they do that because of the poor little animals but they eat sweets and stuff with gelatin rolleyes_anim.gif

I personally cant understand vegetarian who do it out of animal rights but I think its good if you believe in it. But then you should be really strict <<"

You can buy these at most normal stores, but definitely not all. Vegetarian and vegan products are becoming more and more common. Whole foods is a nice place to find these, but my family does by our vegan "meat" (which is really made of tofu and doesn't necessarily taste like meat -- it just tastes good in its own way xD) from a specialized vegan/vegetarian store.

There isn't necessarily a sign for every vegan food, but it's easy to scan the ingredients label of a food that looks like it might be vegan but you're not sure about.

And about the animals-- I can't prove they feel pain like we do, I can only hear them scream and see them writhe when they're slaughtered. That's good enough proof for me. But I honestly don't like it when people fawn over animal rights and make it like a religion, and admonish people who eat meat and say they're killers or whatever. If you want to eat meat, eat it without feeling guilty. If you're a vegetarian/vegan that believes in animal rights (as the purpose of the absence of meat in your diet), keep it to yourself and be happy about it. After all, you're not going to run out and yell at the lions for eating zebras and gazelles, so why would you do that to fellow humans who might have a personal choice that differs from yours? That's just my take on that issue, and you guys can disagree if you want. xD

I certainly should eat meat, I can say that for a fact. I was born with canine teeth for a reason. Velociraptors had canine teeth. Wolves, foxes, cats, dogs, all have canine teeth. What is the purpose of canine teeth? They evolved and are used primarily for firmly holding food in order to tear it apart, and occasionally as weapons.

That's insane! Probably not an accurate reflection on all vegans but still insane! Babies of all mammals drink milk so what in the name of heaven and hell did those idiots think they were doing by putting her on a vegan diet???? Absolute idiots. Surely most parents would realise that children have more nutritional requirements than adults though!

I agree. That couple is insane. Feeding a baby on "herbal teas, fruit juices, soy drinks and flax seed oil instead of hissi milk" just to follow their belief in veganism is ridiculous. Those drinks clearly don't provide the poor baby with the nutrients, antibodies, energy, etc. that are essential for the child's health and even survival. They obviously have no idea how to raise a baby on a vegan diet, and because of their ignorance, their baby almost died. However, it IS possible to raise a baby as a vegan from birth. I have met someone who has been vegan from the first second of his life, and he is well and healthy -- you just can't do it in the way these two parents did. That's horrible, and I personally think it's child neglect, too. :/

And about the canine teeth/how they mean we should eat meat/how hippos have them but they're for protection/etc., I don't think that one characteristic (canine teeth) is enough to claim that humans were built and meant to consume meat. These articles might help explain why:

http://www.newveg.av.org/anatomy.htm

http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html

For just some highlights if you don't want to read them all:

- scroll to the bottom of the first article, although the top/middle provides a very nice in-depth explanation about the digestive system of human beings compared to those of carnivores and herbivores.

- "Our so-called 'canine teeth' are 'canine' in name only. Other plant-eaters (like gorillas, horses, and hippos) have 'canines', and chimps, who are almost exclusively vegan, have massive canines compared to ours."

- "Human teeth are also similar to those found in other herbivores with the exception of the canines (the canines of some of the apes are elongated and are thought to be used for display and/or defense). Our teeth are rather large and usually abut against one another. The incisors are flat and spade-like, useful for peeling, snipping and biting relatively soft materials. The canines are neither serrated nor conical, but are flattened, blunt and small and function like incisors."

(Since we have evolved from a common ancestor as apes, it isn't surprising that we have canines which were originally used for the described purpose, but have lost that use. They're now sort of leftover, smaller versions of what our ancestors had, but after the invention of fire, we've utilized them to try to help eat meat.)

Also, humans are unable to eat meat that has not been thoroughly processed and made dramatically easier to digest. Any human being's stomach will reject and be unable to function with plain meat - we have to heat it up, make it soft, and half break it down before we put it in our stomachs to do the small remainder of the job. If we naturally were made to eat meat, we wouldn't need this sort of intense processing in order to make our stomachs capable of handling it.

But read scan the whole articles if you have the time, they've got a lot of good points that I didn't re-type out here. ^^