Purge?

Cornflakes

It's when an account has been unused for a long time, TNT "purges" it, which clears it so it no longer exists. That way, both the names of the pets on the account, and the account name, are available again to be created by anyone.

They didn't actually reveal that, but I assume an account with a lab map and over 100 games played will more likely stay than another account which has nothing on it next to the newbie pack.

Eeek. That's kinda scary, but cool also.

Mmmkay, now how do people know what accounts/pets are going to be purged? I swear I see them posting on the neoboards that so-and-so is going to be purged.

Like I saw this person with a ten-day-old pet named 'Obey' and I got homicidally jealous.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the average was an account that hadn't been used for 2 years.

But yeah, I'm sure that an account where a lot of effort has been put in might get a certain amount of lee way...I'm sure I've been absent for more than 2 years, but my gallery and bank account were well established.

Mmmkay, now how do people know what accounts/pets are going to be purged? I swear I see them posting on the neoboards that so-and-so is going to be purged.

Like I saw this person with a ten-day-old pet named 'Obey' and I got homicidally jealous.

I can't remember what letter they stated with, but they work their way doing the alphabet (the last I heard).

Well.. I have an account of six and a half years (redlupe323, lost me PW and stuff). I haven't been on that thing in maybe five years, or six even. And yet, it's still standing. I didn't have very spectacular pets, not too much NP, lame shop, stupid gallery... But then again there isn't an email set up with that account, so maybe it also has something to do with that.

Purge might well be random, or as the posters above said accounts with more stuff on it may be more likely to stay. I have an account that I haven't used for five years and it's still there, while my cousin's was deleted in two. Neither of us had anything significant on our accounts, and the usernames started with the same letter.

It appears that accounts that have been frozen for more than 18 months are being purged as well. :yes:

Lulz. The Purge. My addiction. A great way to get names, by the way. Here's some great pages that really answer all questions:

http://www.neopets.com/~Cruz

http://www.neopets.com/~Ihmzadi

http://www.neopets.com/~Hestiia

Basically, unused accounts (+18 mos inactivity), either frozen or just abandoned, are deleted by bots in #alpha_ order, and the pets on them as well are deleted. So...the purge boards basically attempt to track the purge, and catch pet names that they like (usually for trading value). But yeah. That's the gist of it. It is currently why I am failing to study at all for finals. :laughingsmiley:

Edit: There's no way to know for sure which accounts are going to be purged, but if you look at a UL and it says "Last Seen: A long, long time ago", then there is a chance that it will be purged. However, if TNT deems the account to be "too active", "too young", or whatever reason to be purged, then it will be skipped, and the pets will remain on the account.

Hope that helped! Feel free to ask me if you have any more questions. I don't bite. Hard. :P

Accounts are purged alphabetically. The pets purge with the account, so say if my account purged, and it had the pets a, g, r, and z, they would all purge with G, since that's what my account starts with. Not all accounts that are inactive for a very long time will purge, and there is no way of telling. Accounts with expensive pets/big shop/customized lookups have purged, and some accounts that look like side accounts with no activity at all have not purged. Only TNT knows what accounts will purge.

Currently, the purge is at letter S. You can find out where the purge is by looking on the Pound Chat board. The board you will look for is like this:

{} Purges & Marker Board (NO CHATTING PLEASE) Board #127

I'd suggest reading the above FAQs, and then looking for some names you would like. If you find a name you like that is on an inactive account, you can watch for it to purge. Names on accounts A-R that have been passed over probably will not purge, and no one knows when the next purge will be.

Eeek. That's kinda scary, but cool also.

I don't see the point of wanting a recycled name but then again I'm not that into pet trading.

I used to envy Kastraliss though.

I don't see the point of wanting a recycled name but then again I'm not that into pet trading.

I used to envy Kastraliss though.

This isn't the first purge Neo has done...it's maybe the third or fourth. HOWEVER. This is the first mass purge that they've actually announced in advance (in numerous editorials), instead of just quietly deleting accounts. There's a pretty good chance that many of the "good" names have already been "recycled" in the purge in 2007-area. So I don't really see them as "recycled" per se, although I guess technically they are.

It's just a good opportunity to possibly get the names that you've been envying from accounts that are currently unused. And for the traders. Which is why the PC is such a zoo right now. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I wish more websites would purge the way Neopets does. >.<

But, at the same time I wonder what TNT does if someone comes back after a long time to find their account gone. I also wonder if you get some sort of notification before/after the account is purged.

It's fun when you can get a good name for your neopet out of it, but not really when it's your account they choose to delete...

I know, that freaks me out...before Viacom bought Neo, when you signed up for a new account they said that your account and your Neopets would be yours 'forever.'

I guess they meant 'forever' as in 'forever until we change our minds.' :sad01_anim:

My original account was purged - it would have been about 9, almost 10 years old.

I didn't get a notification. I ended up getting the same name again when I returned to neopets four (?) years ago.

well with the side accounts they probably figured youd log onto those too and if you randomly got purged without a notification that stinks but if you really wanted the account you would have kept logging in every so often, even if you werent going to play. if you have even a slight thought that you might return one day and you want your same account, you need to log in like once a month to be super safe id say that it wont get purged.